MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I need HELP!

Motherhen

For the most part my family which consists of husband, myself, 12 yr.old daughter and 8 yr.old son (plus adult daughter, 1 10 mos.old, 1 2 1/2yr.old and husband who live in adjoining apt) as healthy. We rarely see or need a dr. for colds or flu's. I do have asthma which is often what keeps me sicker longer and I also have Chronic Fatigue.

Still, overall, we are quite healthy 'considering'. We eat very well and I have really made a point this winter of eating a lot more veg's, plus lots more onions and garlic every day in a homemade soup for lunch. Husband is laid off and kids are homeschooled so we have been home but we also ventured out in public a lot too. We were well all autumn---despite h1n1 being prevalent around here, we did not get it.

So....I have been extremely surprised to be sick for so long. Some of us (me) started in Feb. with a cold sore, followed later by a cold.I know this was as a result of extreme stress which the cold sore broke out within 2 days of bad news. I think I may have had a mild cold before that--I've forgotten now and the kids likely had it too.That wasn't too bad.

But in early March, we got a stomach virus---some of us had vomiting; others just diarreah. Lost our appetites anyway for a good week though the other symptoms quit after a day or two. Within a few days of feeling better, my 12 yr.old went 'down'. She is the Energizer Bunny and found her sleeping in bed at 2 in the afternoon. At 5 I checked to see if she wanted supper but she fell back to sleep. At 6, a repeat. She got up at 7 but went back to bed for the night. After that, she had a mild cold--and 'sort of bounced back' but even now she is going to bed very early and looks sickly by evening. Last night she went to bed before 8--normally it would be about 10ish.

The next day, our 8 yr.old repeated the sleeping. He quit eating (which should be in the World Book of Records) and was very ill after that.

The next night, I came down with an earache but when I went to bed, I was cold and could not get get warm until 3 a.m. when I roasted instead. A few days later, my husband got ill as well.

So now it was almost a week later--depending on which person in the house--I thought ok, its Tuesday, today has GOT to be the worst of this virus..I'll be better tomorrow. Wed was worse...Thurs. I felt a smidgen better but only in the sense that I was not sleeping all day and had enough energy to go to the Walk in Clinic. Husband went along to drive us but didn't get meds. Son and I were put on 10 days of antibiotics which we started on that day. By that night, my sinuses were infected and I had tooth, jawbone, cheekbone and eye socket pain. Me thinks I got on the a/b just in time. By Friday aft. the sinuses were a bit better but it was still a few more days --almost a week actually before it was totally better.

Going back in time, my other adult daughter also got sick with this same thing--following my symptoms---laringitis, sinus infection except she didn't leave it so long and went to the walk in and got a/b soon after. She bounced back in that she was feeling better sooner but still not 'well'. She ended up going back again to the walk in clinic and getting more a/b which still has not chucked out this virus so that she's totally better yet.However she is back to work.

I know I'm bouncing around on "time" here but lets just say that after two weeks, my son and husband were better. I was too but none of us are right yet, including my daughter as mentioned (she is tired by nighttime)

In the third week, where we still were not totally well --we kept getting sore throats and earache--my father died so we had the funeral to go to. I"m a dog breeder and wouldn't you know, I had 4 litters due---one of which was a new mom and started having them the day of my father's funeral which was to be held at 1 in the afternoon. She started having them at 9;30 but she paid no attention to the first two for a while. But then she did. I ran upstairs and got dressed--came downstairs and delivered the 3rd one in my good dress but she did lick it. I helped her though bcz I wanted to make sure it survived. After that, I HAD to leave but fortunately she did care for the rest. I had my neighbour come in and check on them. The next day another dog had a litter and then the next day another; plus the one that had the litter a few days before my father's funeral. I figure that was all stressful on me though---father dying plus the worry of these litters---two which were first time moms, and one who needed a c-section last year.

Yesterday, I felt a bit of sore throat but I've had that ALL this time so didn't think anything of it. Husband had Carpal Tunnel Surgery done at the Hosp. and the hosp. was like a freezer. I didn't have a coat or sweater and didn't want to walk all the way back to the car for the coat. Plus I knew it was a short procedure and 'thought' he'd be along 'soon'. HA! We were to be there for noon---thought surgery was at 12;30 but it wasn't til 3. We were home by 4 but I was frozen and this is not normal for me. I'm HOT.

By nighttime, we were all sick again. We're all sneezing, congested, sore throat, ear sore--or any of the symptoms. I also have some chills I think.

WHAT DO I DO TO GET RID OF THIS? I am taking Oil of Oregano, Zinc, Echineccea, Colloidal Silver, Homeopathic meds and I"m making a big pot of chicken soup with lots of onions and garlic in it.

We are sooo tired of being ill and not getting over it. I'm not the only one that is getting this and its not leaving us either...and yet my daughter and her kids who are here inside our place all the time---(2 1/2 yr.old has been in here from morning til night) has not got it at all. My 2nd oldest daughter's husband has not got it either. I'm just hearing so many reports of so many who can't rid themselves of this illness and its lasting for months.

HELP! What do I do to help this household? I don't have Elderberry syrup but I used to--used it up already before. What more can I do? I don't feel that its worth going back for more a/b at the walk in--as they didn't help "much" when my daughter took them twice. We're desperate to get well. Sorry so long, but had to give all details. Thanks for reading and any advice.

I would also go for a massive disinfection of the house. Up to and including replacing everyone's toothbrushes. Disinfecting wipes on non-movable and non-washable objects. Wash dishes with a few drops of bleach in the water, etc. It doesn't help to get you well if you reinfect yourself. And just because certain members of the family have not YET gotten sick doesn't mean they won't. You want to protect them as much as possible.

Thanks for the replies. I do take Vit.D, as well as zinc, Vit B100, Salmon Oil and other things. on a regular basis though I had quit "somewhat" once I got sick. I found I couldn't tolerate taking ALL of them though I did start up a few recently.

I have heard (perhaps on this site?) of "snow mould" where once the snow melts and the rotting leaves, etc. now exposed cause allergies/illness. I wonder if its not that and/or just some types of allergies too masking as a cold virus. We've had a lot of rain in the past few weeks with more coming in this weekend. We even had hail last week, the day before my father's funeral.

I thought of disinfecting....got to get up enough energy to do all that. My mother had suggested that we open the windows and let in fresh air but I've did that too--the weather has been warm but at night we have to shut windows and turn on the heat.

We don't have carpets in our house and the apt. that my daughter is in, only has one small area carpet in her living room.

I think a lot of the cause has been stress. We've had a lot of upsetting things happen the past few months. Then to add to it, on a smaller basis, yest. afternoon I found my dog with mastitis...she was very ill yest. to the point that I thought she was going to die but I've got her on antibiotics now and Bag Balm. I think she was dehydrated which was causing the lethargy--she was very unresponsive but I had made chicken soup and she did take that with me syringing it in and then she drank on her own. I hadn't noticed she got so sick with me being sick on Tues.night and away most of that day. Last week, one of my chi pups had a uti infection...got him started on a/b as well and was under control within 2 days. Fortunately I have enough knowledge and supplies that I don't need a vet--or this would've cost me min. $200 for the two dogs--if not more.

I do feel better this a.m. so maybe all of my methods are starting to help. I just wondered what else to do to get better fast. I've started Vit.C as well now though my dh takes that. The kids seem better this a.m.

Just wanted to add that while rummaging around, I found a bottle of Grapefruit Seed Extract and taking that too now. I'm leaning towards it being a cold aggravated by molds; and pollens which are thick in the air now with the trees coming out here now.

I totally agree. We're very 'garliced' up. Garlic is a natural expectorant. Twenty three years ago I had pneumonia and had a 1 yr.old daughter at the time. My husband was leaving to work nights out of town so I went to my mothers bcz I couldn't care for myself and esp. a baby. Once I arrived, she made me a honey and garlic sandwich--similar to a pb/jam sandwich. Within 30 minutes of eating it, I was expelling phlem. The next morning, my father took me to the ER where the Dr. told me I had double pneumonia and that the honey/garlic sandwich had saved my life. He said he knew of the properties of garlic but he emphasized that it 'saved my life'. (there were times after, that I really thought I'd die)

We have been eating garlic HEAVY in our foods since we've got sick and lots of onions too. The past two nights, each meal has had 2 large elephant cloves diced up finely. Now I'm still coughing but I'm not getting much phlem up out of my chest. I believe that the garlic has kept me from getting pneumonia bcz I seem to be prone to it with my asthma.

This illness whatever it is, seems to be going round. I'm hearing of it from so many different areas of N.America...and its hard to get rid of. Also some get it and others in the same house, do not. I don't understand it but its wicked.

Just last week we had a doctor doing a health seminar at our church. He is a Board Certified physician. His web site is www.northernlightshealtheducation.com. He has two dvds you can watch online telling/showing how to treat flu, etc. All the others are excellent as well.

DH had the flu a few weeks ago and I did some of the treatments Dr Clark suggests and they helped him a LOT.

Hope you feel better soon!

Just last week we had a doctor doing a health seminar at our church. He is a Board Certified physician. His web site is www.northernlightshealtheducation.com. He has two dvds you can watch online telling/showing how to treat flu, etc. All the others are excellent as well.

DH had the flu a few weeks ago and I did some of the treatments Dr Clark suggests and they helped him a LOT.

Hope you feel better soon!

Archived