MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Gastric Bypass/lapband

Momo

I am not trying to convince anyone whether or not to have this surgery. I would just like to point out that there can be serious complications from this drastic surgery. Please do not take it lightly when deciding to have this done.

One of my dear friends who is in his early 30's with 2 children is having his 3rd exploratory surgery following his bypass. It does not look too good for him. This comes 2 years after the death of my best friend who died less than 6 months after her surgery.

I am not trying to convince anyone whether or not to have this surgery. I would just like to point out that there can be serious complications from this drastic surgery. Please do not take it lightly when deciding to have this done.

One of my dear friends who is in his early 30's with 2 children is having his 3rd exploratory surgery following his bypass. It does not look too good for him. This comes 2 years after the death of my best friend who died less than 6 months after her surgery.

my siste just had the surgery done the bypass and so far doing good me myself would not do any of them so far with dieting i have lost 23 lbs. can you tell me what went wrong with your friend so i can tell my sister to be careful. thanks

Yes, many complications can arise. All this is explained before you have your surgery. I has the Gastric Bypass 3 years ago and lost 114 pds. I thank God I have not had ANY complications SO FAR. I don't know if even after many years after the surgery anyone can be "in the clear" from complications. In the mean time, I thank God for this surgery. When people ask me if I recommend it, I always say yes. ,but I base the recommendation on my results only. Obviously many people have not been so lucky. Marylp

Yes, many complications can arise. All this is explained before you have your surgery. I has the Gastric Bypass 3 years ago and lost 114 pds. I thank God I have not had ANY complications SO FAR. I don't know if even after many years after the surgery anyone can be "in the clear" from complications. In the mean time, I thank God for this surgery. When people ask me if I recommend it, I always say yes. ,but I base the recommendation on my results only. Obviously many people have not been so lucky. Marylp

I had it done back in 2000. The only complication I have had from the surgery is incisional hernias. Probably due to the fact that my surgery was done open. Meaning split from the breastbone to the navel. I still have problems due to the hernia. Had it repaired and did not take. So, I still live with it. But, depending on what the co-problems that an individual has the surgery may be the better of two evils.

I no longer have high blood pressure, the weight on the joints are no longer a problem except for the damage the weight had already done. It is a high risk surgery and individuals have to be fully informed of what could happen. I knew people who had difficulty right after their surgery and required more surgery, and then you see and meet people who have had a tremendous change in their lives.

So, depending on what side of the fence you are on it is all in one's perspective. Everyone has to weight the pros and cons. For me, I am glad that I had it done. But, again mine had little to none of some of the complications others have had. My weight would have definitely continued to increase if I had not done it. I lost approximately 110 pounds. If I could have done it through diet alone I would have done it but that did not work for me.

:shrug:

GOODMORNINGDOGONSWING.gif

My daughter had this surgery about 8 or 9 years ago, and too was cut open. She did so good for the first year and lost a lot of weight. Then, with her job, she did nothing but set all day and was not able to get any or not much exercise in. She has regained a LOT of the weight she had lost. I really feel bad for her and I know she has said she would never do it again. If she had surgery again, she would have it reversed.

thsnag101ht.gifHAVEAGOODDAY12gif.gif

S.K. the official cause of death was heart attack. After her surgery she was on such a "high". She was so excited about getting down in weight. She was only about 200 pounds and 5'10".. To me she was not fat enough for the risk. Anyhow all she would/could eat was a slice of turkey lunchmeat a day. She also had her protein drinks. Within a few months she had massive heart problems. I think her electrolytes were all messed up from malnutrition. She had never had any heart problems before the surgery.

Also my DIL's sister spent nearly a year total in the hospital from e-coli related to the surgery. She went to a big city (Atlanta) to get hers because she was a nurse and didn't think anyone locally could do it well. She really suffered. She was actually gray in skin color for quite a while. She is better now but it was quite an ordeal. I see her about 3-4 times a year at family gatherings and she is slowly gaining back some of her weight.

I know one other person who had it done and had no major complications. However, she did lose most of her hair and now wears a wig. She says she is glad she did it.

• 2 months later...

I have finally been approved for lap band surgery after nearly a year. I have prayed and prayed about it. One day I want it done and the next I don't.

I do have a fear of infection after seeing my mom and FIL get MRSA just from being in the ER. I had to take my mom to the wound clinic for IV'S everyday for 6 months and 4 months of hyperbaric chamber treatments(It got in her bones in her foot.) They kept telling us she might lose her foot but God was good and she didn't. My point is during that time I saw several women coming in with massive infections that had had the surgery.They had had it done in different places.

I can't get a peace about the surgery although I would love to get off some of my medications. They almost guarantee that I can go off most of them. With tiimes like they are, I feel this may not be the best of times to do this. I have lost 28 lbs. in the past year leaving me about 90 lbs. to go but I guess I want an easy and fast fix. I would have to drive 3 1/2 hrs. one way at least once a month.

I told someone that the unpeace I was feeling may be my answer. She had stomach stapling lost 110 lbs. and has gained back 80 lbs. She felt like I was just trying to find an excuse not to do it. There is a lot of pressure from her. I felt that maybe she thought that if I lost the weight and gained it back, it might help her to feel better. My husband and sons are concerned about the risks. Please help. Any suggestions, help, or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Dear Martha,

If you feel that way then I would think that is God's way of telling you no. I also will not have it done. Lost a friend right after he had that surgery. Went to take a shower and died in the shower. He was young. They said it was his heart....

My daughters friend is so anemic and has to get all kinds of vitamin shots. It is a terrible way to live I think.

I also considered it, but I won't do it. Even my doctor said no. He thinks it better to go to the hospital and do MediFast or do Weight Watchers or one of those programs for diabetics.

I have finally been approved for lap band surgery after nearly a year. I have prayed and prayed about it. One day I want it done and the next I don't.

I do have a fear of infection after seeing my mom and FIL get MRSA just from being in the ER. I had to take my mom to the wound clinic for IV'S everyday for 6 months and 4 months of hyperbaric chamber treatments(It got in her bones in her foot.) They kept telling us she

You have to do what is best for you.....I had gastric bypass back in 2000....I have lost 90 pounds and have not gained the weight back....so am I glad I did it? Yes, and yes again. Did I have reservations...before I had it done..? yes, and yes again.....thoughts of dying or complications afterwards and any other possibility ran through my mind. I know people who have had complications from the surgery, gained back weight, and have had other difficulties. But, I had high blood pressure, bad knees, difficulty doing things and now am no longer on meds for blood pressure. granted I still have bad knees because of all the excess weight my knees suffered from. My brother also had it done. He was diabetic on insulin, high blood pressure,....and so on. He has lost much more weight than I, no longer needs insulin, and is much more active. So...you can listen to everyones's opinion but ultimately you must do your research, think things thru, and determine what is in your best interests. Noone knows your health, mobility, and needs but you and your doctor. I did alot of praying about it and that helped me to decide what I should do. I have young children and I wanted to be around to see them grow. And, I am no spring chicken..... :wub: Good luck and I wish you the best! I had the gastric by-pass (open) and my brother had the gastric by-pass (laproscopic). The thing I know is that laproscopic heals quicker and they have made great gains since 2000.

Dear, Martha

you have already lost 28 lbs and keep it off so you can do it yourself. my sister had the bypass done last December she has lost 65 lbs so far the Dr. told her she should of lost lots more . she got so week had no energy, was very white come to find out her iron level was way low they had to give her iron transfusions. yes it works for some people, some have side affects and so on. but you have showed that you can lose it. I belong to sparkpeople at sparkpeople.com there are people on there that have lose lots of weight. since you don't feel right about it and you a=only need to lose 90 lbs you could try to lose the rest. only you can make the decision on what you should do. we can only pray for God to give you the wisdom on what to do. If you decide to go to the sparkpeople site pm me and I'll make you a friend. I pray you get the answer you need.

Archived