MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

do you use a food strainer?

NanaX2

I've read canning recipes that call for the use of a food strainer. After a bit of research I've found several types. There is the Squeezo, the Victorio and the Roma strainer to name a few. Then there is the one I remember from when my Mom used to make Muscadine jelly, It was a cone shaped metal thing that sits on a stand and you used some sort of wooden object to push thejuice out of the grapes. My question is: do you use one of any of these and do you recommend it over the others? Is the price worth it? Some of these are really expensive! Thanks for your help. :americanflag: by the way, I'm thinking of using it mainly for tomato products.

I have two of these and love them. I use them to make tomato juice and sauce every year. Picked one up at a sale for $7.00 once. :D You can also get different screens for them. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_1...=food+strainers

I use a Chinois if I'm doing jams like plum which have large pits.

http://www.amazon.com/Fox-Run-Three-Stainl...695&sr=1-17

Hope this helps.

:wormie2:

John

I have the old cone shaped type, we call it a collander. We use for applesauce, and it is work and kind of a mess to clean up, but does the job. We cut the stem end and blossom ends off and cook til tender before putting through the collander. Since I got an apple peeler/corer, and read about crock pot applesauce on here, that is the way we ususally go now. Use for tomato sauce also.

My sis got a Victorio last year and she loves it. Uses it for tomatoes and other things. So quick since she does not have to peel or core whatever.

I use a Food Mill (aka Mouli) and also the cone strainer (Chinois)

mini%20food%20mill.jpg

chinois_pestle.jpg

The purpose is to remove skin and seeds. The Mouli comes with a couple disks with different size holes which is good for anyone doing jams and dealing with different size seeds. The Chinois (not a collander) used a pointed wooden pestle to push the food through the openings. No options on the size opening unfortunately.

Many people use them for making mashing potatoes, besides making jams and preserves.

The Chinois you picture is exactly the same as we call a collander here. Don't know the company that made it, but it is the term my grandmother and mother used for years and years.

I've read canning recipes that call for the use of a food strainer. After a bit of research I've found several types. There is the Squeezo, the Victorio and the Roma strainer to name a few. Then there is the one I remember from when my Mom used to make Muscadine jelly, It was a cone shaped metal thing that sits on a stand and you used some sort of wooden object to push thejuice out of the grapes. My question is: do you use one of any of these and do you recommend it over the others? Is the price worth it? Some of these are really expensive! Thanks for your help. :americanflag: by the way, I'm thinking of using it mainly for tomato products.

I have an old Foley food mil that is similar to the Mouli pictured up there. It makes great applesauce but I would love to have one of the Squeezo types that come with the strainers that have different sized openings, like a berry strainer for raspberries for example.

Archived