MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Super Saturday

TractorDiva

Good morning everyone! Although I know it is almost noon for our eastern peeps...

I am getting ready to head over to our county extension office for another class put on by the master food preservers. This one is on meat preserving.

In the meantime, DH surprised me on Wednesday by flying home early. Wasn't supposed to be here until today! Now that he's back, the big move is finally starting to feel real to me. It is hard to concentrate at work knowing I only have a couple of weeks left. So while I am filling my head with knowledge this morning, he will be working on sorting and packing the farm stuff, tools, etc. We have whittled away some of the excess, but I know we can take it down a little further. I can't see hauling stuff across the country (and paying to move it) if it truly has no use for us. And after combining 2 households and absorbing so much from my mother's when she passed away...trust me, there is a LOT of stuff!

Anyway - I'd best get to stepping. I do hope you all have a glorious day!

Morning! I slept until 9:30 today. :o That never happens. My hubby & kids are at a daddy/kid camping trip. I really should be doing some work around here. I had high hopes for this weekend. Gather more things for our garage sale, dehydrate some carrots, do some general cleaning.

Rain passed through about a 1/2 hour ago. Good soaking rain. I hope it's not headed in the direction of my campers now. But, if it does they won't let it hinder their fun!

Alright, I'm off to be productive.... after I read a few more threads. :P

Hi ladies!

Rain here, too. We need it but I would have rather had it yesterday or during the week. We got hit with it as I was picking up lunch with the kids before we headed home. DH canned beets (finishing them up as I type); found a heavy fall jacket for DD at Walmart in the next city over (ours didn't have them out <_< ); both kids fitted for shoes, will go shoe shopping for them tomorrow, I think. Had to check in the sporting good section for DH and will there took a real quick look through the section. They have light weight rain jackets and panchos for kids in various sizes and colors for around $8.00. They also had rain pants(?) for adult men and a few other things that might be worth taking a second look at.

Cleaning our local farm out of banana peppers so those will be canned tonight or tomorrow early, then on to pears tomorrow afternoon and try and get peaches and then apples. Feel like I still don't have enough corn, beans, or salsa but canning season is coming to a close.

TD~ Glad DH is home early!

CC~ enjoy sleeping in, I haven't seen anything earlier than 7:30 in 4 years.

Have a great evening!

Good afternoon! Went yard sailing this morning and found two items to list on ebay. They are ready to start tomorrow. I was outside taking a photo of a jacket and the folks next to us bought it. That saves a little time! LOL Gonna make pecan pie muffins this eve. Photo of dh in jacket follows. Have a good evening!post-45-1284845987_thumb.jpg

Cat! Heres the recipe-- CORN DOG CASSEROLE

Time>Prep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.

Ingredients:

2 cups thinly sliced celery

2 tablespoons butter

1-1/2 cups sliced green onions

1-1/2 pounds hot dogs

2 eggs

1-1/2 cups milk

2 teaspoons rubbed sage

1/4 teaspoon pepper

2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each) corn bread/muffin mix

2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided

Directions:

In a small skillet, saute celery in butter for 5 minutes. Add onions; saute for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Place in a large bowl; set aside.

Cut hot dogs lengthwise into quarters, then cut into thirds. In the same skillet, saute hot dogs for 5 minutes or until lightly browned; add to vegetables. Set aside 1 cup.

In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, sage and pepper. Add the remaining hot dog mixture. Stir in corn bread mixes. Add 1-1/2 cups of cheese. Spread into a shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Top with reserved hot dog mixture and remaining cheese.

Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Yield: 12 servings.

Cat! Heres the recipe-- CORN DOG CASSEROLE

Time>Prep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.

Ingredients:

2 cups thinly sliced celery

2 tablespoons butter

1-1/2 cups sliced green onions

1-1/2 pounds hot dogs

2 eggs

1-1/2 cups milk

2 teaspoons rubbed sage

1/4 teaspoon pepper

2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each) corn bread/muffin mix

2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided

Directions:

In a small skillet, saute celery in butter for 5 minutes. Add onions; saute for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Place in a large bowl; set aside.

Cut hot dogs lengthwise into quarters, then cut into thirds. In the same skillet, saute hot dogs for 5 minutes or until lightly browned; add to vegetables. Set aside 1 cup.

In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, sage and pepper. Add the remaining hot dog mixture. Stir in corn bread mixes. Add 1-1/2 cups of cheese. Spread into a shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Top with reserved hot dog mixture and remaining cheese.

Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Yield: 12 servings.

Thanks! Looks interesting!

Good evening everyone :wave:

I haven't been here for awhile but I have taken the time to read everyones posts. I like reading them and it's so nice to see so many posting.

The last week has been spent vacationing and reunioning (like that word? :) ). I'm am soooooooooo glad to be home and have absolutely nowhere I have to go next week. I'm ready for some peace and quiet and back to work around the homestead.

Dh will be combining beans next week, if the weather holds. After that it'll be time to do corn. It's always so nice to get the grain in the elevator safe and sound!

When Dh is in the field I stay home to keep him fed and laundry done up. You cannot imagine how dirty the man gets.

Anyway, it's nice to see all are okay here and it's also nice to be back.

Have a great evening! :grouphug:

Archived