MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Question on canning chicken

Dee

DFD is bringing over 20 lbs. of chicken hindquarters tomorrow for me to help her can. Can anyone give me an idea on how many pints I should/could/might get?

We'll boil the chickens and can only the meat, no bones.

I've never bothered keeping track of the weight per jar.....I just stuff the jars until I run out of chicken. :shrug: If you remove the bones you can stuff quite a lot into a pint jar. I pack 'raw' and generally don't add any liquid, except for perhaps the last jar if not full. If you want more flavor I would suggest browning the chicken before going into the jars.

Thanks everyone.

JoAnn and I boiled 20 lbs. of chicken and decided it wasn't enough. We went back to the grocery store and....gasp....got another 40 lbs. We ended up with 20 pints of chicken, 7 quarts of chicken and broth and 10 gallon bags with at least 2 quarts broth in each bag.

One pint didn't seal so it's now in the freezer with 2 of the bags of broth still freezing. The bottom broke out of 1 quart but thankfully it was in the canner and not being moved when it broke.

Dee, that is very impresive. Did you buy leg and thighs the second time too? I don't care for white meat so I'm wondering if that is the amount that I would get from 6 10lb bags of leg quarters? Did you boil it done, pick it off the bones, and pack in hot broth and process? That looks so good! I want to do some as soon as I finish with pears and muskedines.

Archived