MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Scammers

Jeepers

I shouldn't have gone to the mail box today.

I have two different credit cards. Fortunately, I've been able to pay them off every month so I'm in no danger of over extending my credit or getting in over my head. If I can't pay it off...I don't buy it. One of the cards has a low limit that I only use on line or phone purchases. The card has never left my house. Today I got the statement and there are two different charges totaling $100.00 from Ireland. I've never ordered outside of the US. Then they charged me for converting from US dollars to Euros. Master, is removing the charges but it still burns me up! So I figured someone I trusted to do business with somehow leaked my numbers. When I told the lady on the phone about it never leaving the house she said that she has a card that she wants to pay off. It has been in her jewelry box for two years and not been used at all during that time. Last month someone put charges on it. She said it must be a sign of the times. :rolleyes:

The other piece of mail was a notice from my insurance company. I hate don't like them at all. My rate is going up from $804 to $960 a month! That doesn’t include meds, dental or anything else. I'm not even sure what all it does include. I had a heart test done a couple of months ago and still had to pay $400 for it. At my age and with high blood pressure and high cholesterol, changing won't be easy. I'm going to have to start looking for something else. Obama's hope and changy deal isn't working for me. I want my "free" medical care before I go broke.

Okay, I'm finished whining. And I feel better now. But just a little.

Lovinit, it isn't always easy. I save for it knowing I'm going to have to pay it. It makes me mad every month to write that check. Now it's even more. That was the one thing that has hurt the most about my divorce. No insurance so I have to buy my own.

MIL called yesterday. The bank cancelled her bank debit card because....

"...she spent $800+ at the Taj Mahal in Utah and bought a car in Brazil.."

I have had it happen several times. Now I am very careful where I use my card. I never use my card at the gas pumps any more after using one and having charges hit the card within 3 days. Card readers are hard to discover. Internet precautions are hard to control. DH used a vendor that had its' records stolen.

We never enter our cards if the url is not an "https" and never have the computer remember any typed in info.

Glad you caught it.

As for the insurance, we watched our policies go up this year too. We could save a bundle if we did not have to have it.

Someone authorized a charge on her card for a car??? In Brazil! Shame on them. I keep a low credit amount on the internet card on purpose. They keep wanting to raise it but I won't do it.

I never have websites save my info either. I can't imagine having a site keep my card numbers on file. Although, after they get it they probably keep it. I don't even do the "save my login" info on commerce sites. I think the only site I have an account with is Amazon.

Unfortunately, there are things I want and can only get online. Mostly from Utah if that gives you a clue as to what I'm buying. :ph34r:

I have a debit card (no credit cards for years). I order things from places on the Internet but ONLY if they let me send a check or money order. A lot don't mention it but if you call they will accept payment by mail. I have only found one that refused and so I refused to do business with them. All they actually need is the money and an address to send it to. I am not giving them any other information.

In the past year I have had someone use my account number twice to try to buy something. The first time the card company caught it and denied it. They knew that I wouldn't be shopping at Bloomingdales in New York. lol. The second time I caught it. It is scary, especially when you are very security conscious and it still happens. They changed my number and sent a new card both times. It still makes me nervous about what else could be going on that I don't know about yet!

Because of our rv life, I call every month (right after statement closing dates) for my credit card bills. I figure that way at least I can catch something sooner rather than later. I almost always check recent tranactions for the month while I am on the phone anyway.

First off I don't buy online with a credit card-second do you all know someone can be standing next to you and can use a hand held scanner that you won't even notice and can scan your numbers even thru purses or in your pockets? There are now wallets(small) to carry your cards in that cannot be scanned,or just wrap your card in foil.Also be careful with your checks,all scammers need are your numbers,used checks also now that stores are scanning them then giving them back to you,don't put them in the sacks,make sure you hold on to them and shred them when you get home.

Archived