MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Food Dehydrating Class

Well, we've set a date for the food dehydrating class! It will be July 22. We'll serve a lunch mostly of dehydrated foods, then have the class. Foods we plan to have for folks to sample include green beans, sweet corn, peas, cauliflower, some type of greens, cherry tomatoes, various dried fruits and fruit leathers. We'll have pinto beans and cornbread for the "main dish". We might do something with potatoes too. We're still in the planning stages.

DH and DS will show and tell how they built an electric dehydrator. DD and I will show and tell how to do blueberries, apples, fruit leathers, and more as we decide. Of course we'll talk about general principles and safety issues.

Any suggestions?

No suggestions, but when I saw the title I was hoping it would be online! I've been thinking about trying dehydrating again. Tried it about 10 years ago thinking it would save money, but didn't think it was worth it, but now that I'm looking at having a good supply of shelf stable foods I'm thinking I should give it a go again.

How bout these: Cause I really do want to know more about these.

How do I know that my food is dehydrated enough that I can store it without worrying about mold?

How do I store my dehydrated food? Am I going to have issues with bugs?

How long can I store it?

Is there anything I can't dehydrate? Or would just be unpleasent dehydrated?

I guess some dehydraters would be better than others. Which ones? Any I should avoid?

Can I add extra racks to my dehydrater.....say my M-I-L has one and so does my sis-in-law.... Should I run them both separate, or can I add sis's racks to mom's dehydrater????? :happy0203:

So I'd really like to know! I suppose I could do a search..... :pc_coffee:

I think you need to include safe jerky making. NO ground meats, lean meats only. Then, they need to be precooked or in a vinegar dip at least. Then, no low salt soy sauce. Must be the real salt soy sauce for safety.

No safe drying of eggs, no "hamburger rocks ", no cheese. Just to name a few things.

Hi Violet, everyone who is coming to the class is a vegetarian so we don't have to worry about jerky. I'm pretty sure none of them will be making any. I will mention eggs and cheese though as some of the folks use them. Thanks!

Ma & Pa Steel, those are good videos and quite inspiring. Thanks for the link!

• 2 weeks later...

The class was well received! We had 7 people. One family were out of town at a nephew's graduation from police academy and one older lady wanted badly to come but her husband wouldn't bring her! They want us to have another one. One lady said we didn't have to feed them, just teach them but tasting the food is a big part of it. It makes you want to actually try dehydrating.

They all loved the food and went on and on about how good it was. We had beans that we grew and vine-dried, cornbread and hominy from corn that we grew and dried; and these veggies that we had dried: two sweet corns (one we grew and one from frozen corn),green beans, green peas, cauliflower, okra, okra with tomatoes, cabbage, mustard greens; a stir-fry of soy curls, red peppers, zucchini, broccoli, and okra; tofu egg salad with dried tomatoes; dessert was dried nectarines, pears, apples and blueberries.

DD put everything in pretty dishes and it looked so nice. After the class, the three ladies jumped right in and washed all the dishes.

Edited by Daylily