MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

dehydrating broccoli??

We're getting a decent broccoli crop from our garden this year. :woohoo:

For dehydrating broccoli, the So Easy To Preserve book says "Not Recommended". There's nothing in the Ball book. My dehydrator instruction book lists a preparation, average drying time and uses.

I was wondering if anyone here dehydrates broccoli? How is it?

My mom always blanched and froze it. I'll probably do that to some of it. I'm just trying to be a little less freezer-dependent. I realize some things have to go in the freezer, though!

I followed the instructions in one of my Preserving books for dehydrating Broccoli. I will have to wait until I get home to tell you which one.

Anyway, I washed/rinsed and chopped my broccoli into around 1" florets with no more than a 1/2 inch stem and dehydrated them over night @ 125* degrees in my Excalibur. They were bright green, crispy, and delicious "raw". I didn't have the heart to crush them in a vacuumed food saver bag, so I put them in a wide mouth quart Ball Jar and used the vacuum attachment to seal the lid on with an O2 absorber tossed in.

Let us know how it goes for you!

I prepared and blanched mine as though I was going to freeze it, then put it in the dehydrator. We think it's delicious. It keeps it's bright color. The texture changes just a little but it's great cooked and as jeanettecentaur said, very good "raw". The heads that is. My stems were too tough to eat dried.

Chopping in to small pieces makes them rehydrate better. I dehydrated several bags of frozen for the boys on their hike and test recipes. The small pieces (about the size of carrots in peas and carrots) rehydrated well. The small size also decreases dehydrating time, especially of stem pieces. When I do fresh veggies, I use the chart I found on the extension office of I think Florida's website. The size I make is perfect for coozie or thermos cooking.

I found the florets rehydrated best if cut fairly small. The stems got rather 'woody' and i had to peel them, then chop and dehydrate. They reconstituted well then, but they obviously were not as 'green'.

I always slice the stems very thin and dehydrate. Then using a spice or coffee grinder I grind them into a powder. Used in soups stews or sauces you get vegetables with no vegetable flavor. Only thing you have to watch out for is color. I once added a couple tablespoons to turkey rice soup and it turned the broth pea green. Didn't affect the taste but looked a little odd. This is also a good use for any excess vegetables from yhe garden.

Dennis