MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Potatos and Onions....good for how long?

Found a good deal on potatos and onions, but I'm hesitant to get them b/c they don't seem to last long. Any suggestions on how to make them keep longer? I usually put them in the refrigerator. How long should they last?

I read somewhere to hang onions in panty hose with a knot tied in between them to keep them fresh longer not sure how long they would last though bc we go thru them so fast lol.

This works really well. Keep them in dark place. Something to remember, sweet onions do not keep as well as other types. I have some now that we have had since June. They are starting to sprout in my frig. When they get to that point, I dice and freeze or dehydrate.

Potatoes keep in a root cellar type set up (cool, damp, dark) for up to 6 months in my experience. They might sprout a bit toward the end, but you just cut 'em away. Potatoes weren't made to be 'pretty'.

• 1 month later...

I've found multiple ways to save potatoes and onions. Dehydrating potatoes requires boiling them til el'dante(?) and then spraying them with lemon juice so they don't turn black and you can either slice, dice or fry-cut them. I also take the boiled potatoes, drain and cool them on a clean towel and freeze them. Just finished a big pot of sweet potatoes! I've also wrapped the boiled 'taters in plastic wrap and just kept them in frig if I plan to use them for hashbrowns etc. fairly quickly. I've also taken a pair of pantyhose, slipped a 'tater down to the toe, tied a knot, slipped another in, tied a knot, on and on until both legs are full, then just hung them in my basement or back porch where it's cool. I don't can, but there's alot of ladies here that do, and canning them is a great way also. (I would think!)

I am a big fan of dehydrating potatoes. Takes up a LOT less space than canning them and I think you get better results (once they're rehydrated). Onions keep a good long time in the fridge or a cool root cellar or basement -- and they can be dehydrated too (do them OUTSIDE!! LOL). Dehydrated onions are awesome and so so so easy to work with.

I love my dehydrator! :D