MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

So as many know, I am now a widow, one of the good things that comes from that is that my old worn out vehicle will be replaced soon. (my husband wanted that and made plans to have it taken care of before he passed).

I have decided that although I have had mini-vans since 2003, it's time for a change. My boys are getting older, I won't be hauling them and their junk around as much and it's time for a 4WD vehicle. Why? Several reasons.

1. I HATE DRIVING IN SNOW - I just don't feel confident and safe anymore, I am not as young and confident as I once was.

2. If things get worse, which we know they can at any time, I don't want to be stuck not being able to get around people stuck in traffic, if I an drive off road, I sure as heck will.

3. I have always wanted a Jeep - so that is our first choice. We will what our friend comes up with, We are thinking Grand Cherokee

So, my question to you is IF YOU HAV A 4WD, WHY DO YOU LIKE IT AND WHY WOULD YOU RECOMMEND IT? IF YOU HAVE A JEEP, DO YOU LIKE IT, IS IT RELIABLE AND WOULD YOU RECOMMEND IT??

THANKS LADIES, I NEED TO GET MY INFORMATION FROM SOURCES I TRUST!!!!!

Edited by chefddr

I have an old 4x4 PU, I can haul just about anything and go just about everywhere in it. DH had an old '70's jeep and his relatives have a new one. New vs Old.... New - dealer does the work and with the new technology they have to. Old, things break and you could probably do a lot of the work yourself with the proper manuals and tools.

Depending on the jeep, you would be hard pressed to bring home a washer and dryer. :Blushing: Just saying....

Looking forward to hearing everyone opinions.

If you get a 4wd make sure it has a towing package yes it will cost more but since you may need to pull something it is best to have the towing package built in instead of adding it later.

With the built in towing package the brakes will be adjusted and you will also have a light adapter for the tail lights.

We had a jeep liberty loved it but hubby couldn't work on it we had to put it in the shop for everything. We ended up getting rid of it. I would love to have an old jeep that we could work on. My dream vehicle is a jeep wrangler.

Mountain Man drives a Silverado with a cap on it. We enjoy the cap because we can keep things dry and pretty much unseen in the bed. It's 2WD but we put 4 sand bags in back during slick weather and have never had any trouble with it, even 4 years ago when we suddenly got 18 inches of snow! It pulls our 26' travel trailer just fine. It has the tow package etc. and we use a weight distribution hitch/sway bar when we drag our travel trailer. We can remove the cap if we want but don't because we have two utility trailers if we need to haul something tall. I drive a Dodge van with a hitch, heavy duty shocks on back, and a transmission cooler on the front so I can pull quite abit with it too if I need to. I have never had any trouble getting around in it, and it's front wheel drive. We also removed the back (3rd) seat so it's like having a huge trunk, and that's where Abby rides...we put up a screen so she can't get on the seats etc. In the truck she rides in the back seat, not the under the capper. The only thing we'd change (and will when the Little House is sold) is to get a stronger truck with a 4wd so we can pull mountains easier. Like everyone else, we all have our preferences, and we like the truck and van in our lives! LOL

I have a Jeep Liberty and I LOVE it.

The back seat lays down so you can haul a lot of stuff in there if you want. In a bug out situation it will hold a lot plus you could sleep back there if you had to. I had to have my windows tinted for privacy but most of them come with tinted windows.That is the one thing I'd recommend because they don't have a trunk. Mine are factory grade tint and that is plenty dark enough. I was driving a Buick Skylark so going to a Jeep was a big change for me. I immediately took to it. I love riding up high. I felt like a big girl. :nail:

I really like the Wrangler too but they are pretty small if it is your only vehicle.

I have used the 4 wheel drive on it a few times in the snow. It has kept me from going into a ditch a number of times. One time I was going up a hill and was sliding sideways in heavy slushy snow. One time I was coming down a hill in heavy snow and was headed right for a telephone pole going sideways. Last year I was on country roads and came to a 'T' in the road. Either way I turned I had to go up a hill. I'd get a little way into the turn and slide right back down. Each time I slid back down, I headed toward the ditch. I put it in 4WD and off I went. I have to admit that I like driving in the snow though. :scratchhead:

Mine is a 2005 and I got it used. I've had it around 4-5 years (can't remember the year I got it). So far the only thing I've had done is new tires and I got a brake job at the same time. One time I was having an issue with my battery but I think it was because I was keeping a charger plugged in at all times and it was messing up the battery. I got a new battery and unplugged the charger and have had no more problems. I had a recall and it was fixed, no charge. Oh, and once I had to have the heat/air fan replaced. It would only work on one speed instead of all five. I do keep up on regular maintenances too.

Good luck on what ever you choose. :hug3:

We've had vehicles with either 4WD or AWD (all wheel drive) for several years. The one thing that I would caution you on is that they really can guzzle gas! I'd actually like to pick up a small car that we can use for everyday running around and save the gas and wear and tear on the 4WD vehicle.

In a bug out situation, you might need to be able to go farther or you could end up stuck in traffic. A gas sipper would be preferable, even if it means that you can't take everything with you.