MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Sunday's Antics

Well, it has been 4 days since a tragic turn of events has given us a dog.

Another neighbor passed away. That's 2 in 3 weeks. *Sigh*

The first one, all the family was there with him at his home. I knew him all my life.

Then, 4 days ago, I went to the store, when I pulled out of the yard, I saw the LEO's walking around. I came back and saw the Med Examiner there and told DH. We know the procedure, any animal goes to animal control, so we walked over and asked what was going to happen to "Barney". They told us we could take him and if any family wanted him they would contact us.

Guess what? No one wants him.

He's a semi large dog, black and brown, loved to bark at certain cars as they drove by and we used to give him heck for it.

Since no one has shown any interest in him, I am going to try to train him as a 'Service dog'. He went for his first walk today. DH leashed him the first half and I did the 2nd half. He had full leash with DH, but had a short reign and heeling with me. He is making progress with "SSSShhhhhhhush"! Grrrr... ok... Bark, bark, bark.... "NO".

He's learned, inside he is naked - no collar, but to go out, he must have his clothes on.

MIL has gotten with her 'click' at the beauty shop and they are finding out from the vet what his shot status is. The PD will not give us any info about the situation, which is understandable. But without his last name, neither will animal control help us.

So, I have a project, along the lines of the 13 in 2013. Too much going on to plan to do 13 new things this year, but, hopefully, Barney will be willing to learn and be a good service dog.

Not for sure...but assuming he's not had any immy's...will it hurt to go ahead and give them to him? Rabies, heartworm etc., flea/tick? Maybe some friends around here will know if it's safe to just go ahead. It would be another tragic event to have him contract parvo or heartworms after you're investing your hearts in him.

He can be tested for heartworm for about $25, and if he's clear you can start giving him heartworm preventative. We pay a little over $20 a month for my dog's Trifexis, which covers heartworm, fleas, and something else.

Getting a double on the rabies shot won't hurt him. They run about $10 at the cheap traveling vet clinics.

A friend of mine lost his puppy to Parvo this past year. It was an awful way to die.

I lost a kitten to FIP, a mutation of coronavirus, this past year. I still tear up when I think of him.

If you can find which vet he went to, the vet's receptionist might recognize him by sight.

Can you use state tax records to find the names of the owners of the property?

Edited by Ambergris

I wonder if a neighbor may have been close enough to him to know his last name? Or, if the police dept. would be willing to at least let the family know you're caring for the dog, and ask one of them to contact you with any info (at least the last name) that they have.

It's so sweet of you guys to not only take Barney in, but also to take the time to train him to be a service dog :)

The property owner died about 5 years ago, this gentleman was just the property caretaker. Go figure. Small town politics.

MIL has gotten some of the info from her "click". (Beauty Salon gossip, not my style.) They are going to call her with the immunization info later this week.

Thanks for your input, it is food for thought and further research.

:groooansmileyf: I forgot all about all the different things they can get. Our last dog died 15 years ago at the ripe old age of 19. :imoksmiley: