MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Well Phooey...

About five or six weeks ago I helped a friend of mine move furniture and items from the shop of his wife's mother who passed away. The friend can't really do any of the work so I ended up doing 99% of it. The second day of moving my left elbow began hurting and got worse as the day wore on.

I figured I probably pulled my bicep as some of this stuff weighed several hundred pounds and I did a lot of pulling and pushing. It has been getting worse and it really showed it's bad side when I started digging post holes to put a fence up around the garden to try and keep the deer out. I have at least 4 more cedar trees to cut down and then in half, twelve more holes to dig and twenty seven post left to set in place (some are 16 feet tall), and about 12 T-post to pound into the ground, and then run the wire.

I went for my yearly check-up last week and told my doc about the pain. He referred me to an orthopedic doc and I went in today. The x-rays showed no bone problems (which I figured that already), but the poking and proding wasn't good.

The doc says that I have probably torn the ligament where it is attached at the elbow and if I'm not careful it will either rupture or tear completly. If it does I will have to have surgery, (yuk). I also have osteoarthristis (sp) in both of my thumbs and it will take surgery and four months of recovery per thumb to correct.

I still have things to plant and I will have to use the tiller for that, and I will have to use it to cultivate also.

I've got this brace to wear at night on my arm that looks like a bent surfboard and a splint/glove thing to wear for my left thumb. It's gonna be real interesting tomorrow digging post holes.

:wormie2:

John

Lunabean--No one to help but me. :(

Ambergris--Everyone is working that I know.

CGA--I called a friend that had a tractor with an auger...he sold it. :( I thought about renting a post hole digger but my back won't let me haul it around.

:wormie2:

John

Edited by WormGuy

(((((((John))))))))

:pray:

Take a day off, re-group and rest, then, do a little bit at a time, but... do not push yourself.

Easier said than done, I know. Around here there is no one to help me either. If I want it done I have to do it myself. So, I take my time, then over do it and have to take a day off, re-group and rest. Then, I am able to move on. Hopefully, the deer will leave your garden alone long enough for you finish. Maybe someone will come along and give you some help.

:pray:

Is there a local boy scout troop? They often will do community service and one of those things is what is physical efforts for someone unable to do something like that. You may want to call up a few churches or the boy scout council office. They send over the troops and get er done, you can supervise. Make a donation if you want but they are usually very happy to help.

Ugh, sorry to hear that! Being single, I understand about having to do a lot of things on my own and not being able to do them. It's usually an issue with strength. It's times like these that I wished some of us lived close to each other! Many hands make light work...even weak ones. :hug3: