MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Opening #10 can HELP

Sure can. Just be sure you don't suck the powder up into the motor of your vacuum sealer. You can get a Food Saver canister to put your jar in and use that to safely seal powder. Or what most people do is lay a coffee filter on top of the powder before you put the lid on. I usually cut it in a circle to fit the top of the inside of the jar.

This is why I'm moving away from #10 cans. The smaller ones cost 1/3 as much and contain 1/4 as much, but I'm figuring in a shtf situation I'd be seeing at least a 25% wastage (given our Florida conditions).

Umm... One can buy lids. Think of coffee can lids. IIRC, they are about fifty cents each in packs of twenty. I don't do that anymore. I recan.

I agree with Ambergris. Smaller cans are better. And I 'cheat' by buying the pull/pop tab lids for the #2-1/2 square cans (four cup vs 13 cup for a #10) . It is a matter of convience. I get better seal, they stack better, store better, easier to open, recycle easier, etc.

Sarah