MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What’s For Dinner 2019

On 5/23/2019 at 8:20 AM, Annarchy said:

The air fryer got a workout. 

I used ours this morning...for tater tots!  Also made s small batch (4) of biscuits in it earlier, and then some homemade gravy from my gravy mix to go over them.  An egg each and a sausage patty each. Then tonight used it for our fries to go with our battered cod.  Love them dar things!

Edited by The WE2's
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 2 months later...

Shake & Bake Boneless Chicken Thighs with oven roasted take-out potato wedges.  

I use home made shake & bake and after the chicken is nicely crumby, I use more to make the potatoes.

Home Made Shake & Bake (makes 3 cups) for Chicken, Chops, ....and now, potato wedges!

3 cups dry breadcrumbs (home made or panko, whatever you have..cracker crumbs work too but omit salt)

1 TB salt (I use 50-50 mix of salt & no-salt)

1 TB Paprika (gives the baked products a nice color)

2 tsp sugar (aids in browning)

1 tsp onion powder (you can add any other herbs you like, my DH liked garlic powder)

1 tsp pepper

4 TB veg oil 

Combine crumbs & seasonings.  Mix well, then stir in oil using a fork until all trace of oil disappears due to crumbs absorbing it.

Use around 3/4 cup per chicken; or 3 TB per chop.  Rinse meat in cold water, drip dry-ish then shake in crumbs and place on ungreased baking sheet (I line with no-stick foil).  Bake chicken at 400  degrees, 20  min if boneless, 45 min if it has bones.  For chops, bake at 425 for 15-20 min.

Variations: substitute chicken bouillon powder for the salt for a flavor boost (even the ramen bouillon powder is tasty but does contain MSG so use wisely).  The original recipe called for MSG, if you want to add it, use 1/4 tsp and reduce salt by 1/4 tsp .  Taco flavoring goes well with this, too.  (Taco Chicken!)

For potato wedges:  

Cut one potato (usually) into 6-8 wedges longitudinally.  Rinse then pat dry.  Toss with a little oil, melted margarine or melted butter, just enough to coat.  Shake in a bag with some crumbs until coated, then lay on baking sheet alongside chicken or chops and bake.  They take about the same amount of time.  Your family will love the take-out touch, and your doctor will love the no-frying!

That was dinner tonight along with an apple crisp baked at the same time.  Might as well use all the oven space, as long as I have it on.....

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 4