MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Vacuum Sealed Cookies

I wasn't sure where to put this. Here seems like a good a place as any. 

About 2-3 years ago I vacuum sealed some Nilla Wafers in a half gallon canning jar. Then promptly forgot about them. I really don't have much of a sweet tooth (tangy food is my downfall) but the other night I really wanted a cookie. And I remembered them. Woo-hoo. So I dug them out of the pantry.

It was dusty but sealed tight. I swear to you all that they were as crisp and fresh as the day I put them in there. They must not contain a lot of oil to go rancid or something. I don't know. I did some Lorna Doone too but didn't try them. Too much temptation having a gallon of opened cookies handy. At least I know for sure Nilla Wafers will keep. I did those two kinds mostly for sick days or for a G-son emergency. I have some Oreo's someplace but couldn't find them right away.

I'm definitely going to get some of those little round hard Ginger Snaps and seal them. I'm sure they will keep. Mostly for stomach upsets. 

So, perhaps I can go to Sam's Club and harvest (I think I'm in the food harvest section) some Ginger Snaps and can (might be in the canning section too. I can't remember where I'm at right now) some up. 

To summarize myself. (Sigh..ADD is rampant tonight.) Nilla Wafers taste like new after about 3 years of being vacuum sealed. Most likely Lorna Doone and Ginger Snaps too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks. This is so good to know. Villa wafers are our go to around here. I cannot keep them on hand, I bring them in and bam the nilla wafer bandit (aka hubby) strikes and they're gone. The Nilla bandit's split personality is the watermelon thief LOL

• Haha 2
19 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Nilla Wafers

Well well well...I'm hoping we get as blessed as you!  We took lots of boxes of them, removed the box, put them in mylar bags and then into 5 gallon buckets with gamma lids.  Forgot all about them (in the extended pantry).  Guess I need to have hubby pull one of the buckets down so we can check. :pray:

• Like 2

For some reason, I've never had store-bought ginger snaps.  My mom was the Keebler Elf....making cookies.  I liked hers but she HAS retired from cookie making.  Except the kind in dough that you slice and bake.  Good for her but ...I do miss hers!!    Never really thot of them for stomach upset. 

But thinking of winter and ginger....I think I'll put ginger snaps and Nilla Wafers on my shopping list.   Thanks for the report on longevity!!

MtRider  :shopping: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2

I think the key might have been the hardness of the cookie. Both Lorna Doone and Nilla Wafers are small and hard. Those Ginger Snaps in a box are small and hard too. 

Keebler and Archway type cookies might be too soft. Here's a THOUGHT. Maybe make up a batch of cracker dough and add ginger. Roll out thin, cut, bake and let dry out and vacuum seal. Or buy a box of Ginger Snaps. :D

I don't think Nilla Wafers are necessarily for upset stomach like ginger. Mostly for comfort food and something to hopefully keep on the stomach. Or to keep a 3 year old quiet. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I forgot to mention earlier that neither Wal-Mart nor my grocery store had any ginger snaps. I can't do fresh ginger. It burns. My meds give me severe dry mouth so I can't do anything hot. Or even warm for that matter. I'm a delicate little flower.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1