MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I love biscuits.  Hubby doesn't.  In the last few months I've found the frozen biscuits, ready to bake, in the freezer section of the grocery store.  I'm hooked on biscuits again.

So, instead of paying a fortune to buy them I've decided to make my own and freeze.

Does anyone have the "perfect recipe" that they might share? 

How about suggestions on making them.  Do you just mix till moist, do you beat the heck out of them, etc.?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Like 1

:hi:

I admit, DH likes Bisquick biscuits.  Quick & easy, plus, if, all I want is one or two, it’s easy to reduce their recipe, mix till just mixed, roll out, cut & bake 10 minutes.  Easy to make drop biscuits, just add a little more milk.

My Better Homes & Gardens, 1984, cookbook has

Biscuits Supreme:

2 c all-purpose flour 

3 tsp. baking powder.

2 tsp. sugar

1/2 tsp. cream of tarter

1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 c shortening 

2/3 c milk

Stir dry ingredients, cut in shortening till mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Make a well in the center, add milk.  Stir until dough clings together. Knead gently-10 to 12 strokes.  Roll out or pat to 1/2” thick, cut with cookie cutter.  Place them on an un-greased baking sheet, cook 10-12 min. at 450°F.

Buttermilk:

... as above, except stir 1/4 tsp. baking soda & substitute 3/4 c buttermilk for milk.

My mother used to prepare the biscuit supreme recipe, without milk, and freeze it.  When she wanted biscuits, she’d use as much as she needed and just add the milk, kneed & cook.

Her yeast biscuits were a standard roll recipe, she’d rise once, punch down dive into rolls and freeze until she wanted them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Annarchy.  I'm going to give these a try. 

My grandmother was originally from Kentucky and could she ever make the best biscuits.  So did her daughters but, of course, it's one of those things I didn't think to ask for the recipe and now they've all passed away. :( 

Everyone I know, and some I don't know, rave about Red Lobsters bisciuts. You can even buy their mix in a box at the store. Or you can copycat your own. I've never tried them but as I said, everyone else raves about them. They aren't the cookie cutter round ones. You drop them by the spoonful onto a baking sheet. I'm saving this recipe. 

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a46715/copycat-red-lobster-cheddar-bay-biscuits-recipe/

• Like 1

I love biscuits but have had a hen of a time making one gluten free that doesn't fall apart or taste odd.  I have been using Pamela's bread mix and that's a passible substitute for anyone that's like me and missing them.  But I can still taste good old fashioned baking powder biscuits in my mind. 

• Like 1

Oh Jeepers...I've had them.  They're wonderful AND you've found a copycat recipe.  I can't wait to give them a try.

Glad you found a a flour that works, at least 1/2 way works.  Keep looking you might find something that's perfect

• Like 3