MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Celery

Used all but the yellow center, of store bought celery.  Put the small yellow stalk in water.  It grew roots, let it stay for a couple of months.  Finally, put it in soil, keeping it wet.  The outer branches faded, which were clipped, dehydrated & ground for my spice jar.  

It is now growing new sprigs.  I’m excited to have extra growing in my kitchen, for anything I may need it for.  :amen:

631FC750-4769-43DB-9FF0-F154CF9A92AC.jpeg

• Like 4

Oh, I know.  I can’t count how many times I just mulched the yellow ends of celery.  Then, I thought, maybe it would grow?  When it did, grew roots, & turned green, I was impressed, & took a chance it would continue to grow.  When it did, I was elated!

I re-grow all sorts of vegetables.  I always have several celery ends growing in various stages.  Some in the aquaponic system, some in soil, and some just in water on the kitchen window sill. Celery, given long enough will give slender stalks that are tender and crunchy. Cabbage will give you some nice greens but I've never had one re-head.  Lettuce, fennel, bok choy, onions, and so many others will give you lovely greens.  Some, especially those which aren't organic or sprayed, will just rot in the water but most will grow to a certain point.  Many herbs, like basil and mint, will grow roots from a stalk. Add sprouts in a jar or a few microgreens in a small flat and you can have a wonderful inside garden.