MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Wine Salt

Wine salt is exactly as it sounds – salt that’s infused with concentrated wine.  It is used as a seasoning and can be used anytime you’d use salt.  

WINE SALT – INGREDIENTS

• 750 ml (1 bottle) red wine. 
  • 1-1.5 cups of coarse sea salt 

WINE SALT – INSTRUCTIONS

1. Simmer wine to reduce.  Watch carefully as it nears the end.  I reduced this to around 1 tablespoon.  It was a neat process the liquid looked like wine until it neared the end when it suddenly changed into a very thick syrup.
  2. Pour 1 cup of salt into the pot.  Stir to absorb the wine.  It won’t absorb all of it but if there’s excess wine at the bottom of the pot, stir another half cup in.
  3. Spread on a plate (this allows air to circulate) and allow the air to complete the drying process (or put the plate in the dehydrator overnight to speed up the process).  
  4. Toss the salt with a spoon every once in a while to prevent clumping/ sticking (it can be broken apart if it does stick).
  5. Store in a covered jar.
  6. That’s all there is to it!  If the salt doesn’t get completely dry you can continue to use it; if that bothers you, add more salt and it will eventually absorb all of your liquid.

May be an image of text that says 'Wine salt exactly as sound salt that's infused with concentrate wine. used as seasoning and can be used anytime you'd use salt. I'm especi excited about usin for Balad dressings. rubs and delicate dishes. It will add a touch of acidity. tonne of flavor and all the flavor benefits of salt.'

https://wellpreserved.ca/how-to-make-wine-salt-recipe/

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...
On 3/6/2022 at 1:53 PM, Midnightmom said:

Wine salt is exactly as it sounds – salt that’s infused with concentrated wine.  It is used as a seasoning and can be used anytime you’d use salt.  

WINE SALT – INGREDIENTS

WINE SALT – INSTRUCTIONS

1. Simmer wine to reduce.  Watch carefully as it nears the end.  I reduced this to around 1 tablespoon.  It was a neat process the liquid looked like wine until it neared the end when it suddenly changed into a very thick syrup.
  2. Pour 1 cup of salt into the pot.  Stir to absorb the wine.  It won’t absorb all of it but if there’s excess wine at the bottom of the pot, stir another half cup in.
  3. Spread on a plate (this allows air to circulate) and allow the air to complete the drying process (or put the plate in the dehydrator overnight to speed up the process).  
  4. Toss the salt with a spoon every once in a while to prevent clumping/ sticking (it can be broken apart if it does stick).
  5. Store in a covered jar Wein.
  6. That’s all there is to it!  If the salt doesn’t get completely dry you can continue to use it; if that bothers you, add more salt and it will eventually absorb all of your liquid.

May be an image of text that says 'Wine salt exactly as sound salt that's infused with concentrate wine. used as seasoning and can be used anytime you'd use salt. I'm especi excited about usin for Balad dressings. rubs and delicate dishes. It will add a touch of acidity. tonne of flavor and all the flavor benefits of salt.'

I say distinct from salinity perhaps not with complete confidence, but I think so. I have come across 'saline' wines semi-frequently, with this being mostly expressed on the nose. However, I have also come across some wines which to me have a distinctly salty note on the palate - i.e. provoking a sensation/taste on the tongue very similar to that which a salty food does, albeit perhaps not to the same intensity and balanced out by other flavours. I've noticed this several times with high quality, older Pinot Noir. Earlier today I was surprised to find this in a Condrieu. Is this something others have found and does anyone know how/why this can occur? And just to confirm - glasses definitely clean and no I didn't have a piece of stilton two minutes before!

Edited by maymayms
  • Like 3
On 3/6/2022 at 12:53 AM, Midnightmom said:

WINE SALT – INGREDIENTS

WINE SALT – INSTRUCTIONS

5. Store in a covered jar.

Oooh, this sounds great!  I no longer drink wine but I have a full wine cabinet.  It might be time to experiment.

And speaking of salty things, I came across this recipe for Nasturtium Salt:  How to make nasturtium salt & other nasturtium recipes - Stephanie Hafferty (nodighome.com)   I've neglected my garden the past few years due to life challenges and it's become a mess of New Zealand Spinach, Nasturtiums, and chives.  So I'll be making the nasturtium salt in the next few days.  I'll let you know how it turns out!  

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Update:  I made the wine salt, it spent three days in the dehydrator and it is still super sticky.  I don't cook with a lot of salt so I'm not the best judge of the flavor but honestly, I don't think this recipe is worth the effort.  I think you get more wine flavor by marinating your meats directly in the wine or using the wine while making soup stock.  Cool idea, glad I tried it, but I won't be repeating it.

The nasturtium salt is okay and I will be making this as gifts in the future but I think the nasturtium vinegar is the best recipe when I have nasturtiums taking over the yard.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not a big fan of wine salt, but I can tell you if was extremely sticky, the wine you used may have been too sweet.  Go with a less sweet wine next time to reduce stickiness if you really want wine salt.  Also, be sure to reduce a whole bottle to roughly 1T.  That is a long time to reduce, but it is necessary.

Your wine cabinet would probably lend well to making sauces and reductions for regular dishes.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, Andrea said:

The nasturtium salt is okay and I will be making this as gifts in the future but I think the nasturtium vinegar is the best recipe when I have nasturtiums taking over the yard.  

Thank you for this info.  It’s too early here for planting yet but I always grow nasturtiums.  I can’t wait to try these recipes.  I bookmarked it and will be checking out other nasturtiums recipes.  :sSig_thankyou:

• Like 3