MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

ESSENTIAL OILS AND HERBS FOR GOOD HEALTH AND HAPPPINESS

I POSTED THIS AT THE TAIL END OF ANOTHER POST, YESTERDAY.

I'm putting this here to give some context to this, hopefully, series of posts I'm starting.

Okay, ladies...Mother, Dogmom and anyone else who wants to start an herbs and oils journey. I'll give you 4 oils and 4 herbs to get you started

Oils to begin your stash;

Oils;

Lavender- an incredible must have oi for every household. Good for burns, headaches, calming babies, easing earaches, itching and a hundred other things. When mixed with other oils, it's great for allergies, pain, and colds. It's a very mild antiseptic, antibacterial and anti-fungal.

Rosemary- a powerful antibacterial, anti-fungal, antiseptic, antiviral. It helps to stop hair fall, clears scalp conditions, and helps to regrow hair and eyebrows. Will also naturally darken gray hair.

Peppermint- one drop on your tongue will almost instantly relieve heartburn. It's good for many things, including repelling spiders and some mice. Apparently not in Colorado, though! LOL! Sorry! I can't remember who it was that said that but I hope you're still here. :hi:

Lemon- great for making natural household cleaners. Excellent antibacterial. Blended with lavender and peppermint, it's awesome for relieving allergy symptoms.

Always use a natural carrier oil. Jojoba, fractionated coconut, or sweet almond oil.

Herbs;

Mullein- used as a tea, it helps relieve congestion, and heals the lungs. And it tastes good. With or without honey. (Always use natural, raw honey. It's nature's most loving, and perfect gift. I blend my mullein with green tea and rooibos tea. Incredible antioxidant combination.

Chamomile flowers-can be used as a tea; it eases upset stomachs. simmered in hot water, strained and cooled, spray it on skin irritations, or scrapes and cuts. Very soothing. Great for excema. Tie up a small handful in a coffee filter or small muslin bag and add to a warm bath for a soothing skin treatment.

With the chamomile, add;

Calendula petals

& lavender flowers.

The 3 of them combined are great in the tub but they also (combined) make sleepy time tea look like a rookie.

I'll come back tomorrow to post buying sources and more oils and herbs. I promise. :wub: I my even throw in a couple of recipes.

Love and hugs,

still Nana

In a world where you can be anything you like, please, be kind.

• Thanks 7

Thank you still Nana.  I was just getting ready to contact you to see if we could move it to Nature’s Prescription as it was info for a lot more than the flu.  Like you, I was afraid it would be lost in the $25 a week post which is a well read and followed post.  

I am a long time herbalist and have in the long ago past owned two herb shops. I have taught classes in herbs,  herbal infused oils, and their uses.  I have used homeopathics for many years but need to learn more on their usage.  And essential oils are something I use but know less about them than I would like to know.  I’m sure you will find me shadowing you to glean much needed updated info, with me loving every minute of it.  

Thank you so much for coming back to share with us all.  :bighug2:

BTW.  I used your $25 a week stock up list as a base for restocking our preps recently.  Thanks!

• Like 3

Sources for oils are varied. I have a problem with big money MLM's and so called subscriptions for essential oils. I don't buy from young living or doterra. I personally think their prices are absolutely outrageous. I actually did a 6 month (?) subscription for simply earth because, 1) I was bored, and 2) I wanted to see what they were about. I also tried vitality oils. I once went to buy a small amount of oil from a distributor of either doterra or young living, I don't remember which, at a Saturday Market in Portland. I was almost completely out of lavender, waiting for my delivery. I picked up a 5 ml bottle (this was in 2014) and the price was $8.00. I put it back. For a 5ML bottle. 5milliliters is 1/6 ounce. I recently purchased a 4 ounce bottle of lavender for approximately $18.00. Let's do the math. In 2014, their prices were $48.00 per ounce. At that rate, I would have paid $192.00 for a 4 ounce bottle. Both companies operate at about the same rates. 

The subscription service was okay. I managed to get a discount so the price was maybe $30.00 a month. I honestly don't remember. It was great as a trial run for someone with absolutely no experience. For me, because I'd been doing this for so many years, it was just okay. The problem came when they tried to auto renew at like 6am on the day my subscription expired. To say I was upset would be an understatement.  If you are truly new at this and can afford it, I'd say try it. Just beware of the auto renew, and try to find a discount on facebook. It was kind of fun but then, I'm old and easily amused. :D

Believe it or not, start with walmart. In the pharmacy area, they carry some oils. They even have sets. Prices are reasonable, oils are good. Most of my oils are delivered from amazon. I search for the oil I need, compare prices, and get free delivery. What more could I ask for?

There is so much information at our fingertips, it amazes me. I sometimes go on a research journey, on google. I look for one thing, find the answer, and get connected to another. I can spend hours researching my interests. I also keep a notebook handy to record information, or I do a wifi print to the printer in another room. Ye, I'm getting spoiled. I like my laptop in my craft room but print to my desktop setup, 25 feet away.

Back later with more.

Love and hugs,

still Nana

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, still Nana said:

Peppermint- one drop on your tongue will almost instantly relieve heartburn. It's good for many things, including repelling spiders and some mice. Apparently not in Colorado, though! LOL! Sorry! I can't remember who it was that said that but I hope you're still here. :hi:

:008Laughing:That would be Mt.Rider in Colorado.  And yes, rodents are the bane of her existence. She is out of state at the moment and will be back soon.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mother, I'm glad I'm back. Like I said, it may be sporadic but, I plan to stick around. I have an absolute bombshell to drop but, I've been a little leary about saying it. It's about the virus. I buy my herbs by the pound and when the virus hit in Seattle, I started researching. Long story short, I've had several family members get covid and recover. For some, they used mullein. my nephew and his wife have both had it a couple of times. I gave them a large container of my tea blend when this all started.

My oldest daughter, a medical assistant for well over 20 years, works in a cardiac specialty in the PNW, fully vaccinated, caught it a few days before Christmas. We video chatted and I knew immediately what was wrong. I called her daughter, sent her to super supplements and had her pick up some mullein capsules. Within 24 hours, she was on her way back to good health. Her coworker had it too but kept getting a false negative. My daughter called her and she got the same capsules, and within 2 days, they were both much better and waiting out their quarantine period to go back to work.

Now, that's just my story, I don't know how well this will work for anyone else but I will always keep some in my inventory. It's all I know to do for now.

Love and hugs,

still Nana

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Still nana, we have a member here, who checks in from time to time, who swears by Mullein.

I wasn't aware you could get the capsules. I thought it was only in tea form.

I have to be careful because of the meds I take but I'm going to check to see if it's safe for me. All kinds of herbs, medicines, antibiotics etc. seem to affect me differently than 'normal' people.  I really don't want to be sick. For me, flu like symptoms are the worst. UGH. I've been lucky with this covid mess. I didn't get it. Or if I did it was mild enough that I didn't notice.

• Like 1

I haven't actually checked for interactions because I viewed it as a tea. I now realize that could be problematic. I'll do some research and see what I can find. Thanks, Jeepers. There's also an oil that is for aromatherapy only- it is considered a hot oil and should never be used in skin contact formulas. It works amazingly well for clearing congestion, and it only takes the tiniest drop. The efficacy is said to be below the odor threshold. In other words, if you can barely smell it, it's working. I use it to make inhalers for cold, flu or sinus related congestion. Of course, I add other oils for additional  relief and use a carrier oil base. I only use one drop of INULA GRAVEOLENS.  It may seem expensive but it really isn't, as a little goes a long way. A 2ml bottle, on amazon, is around $25.00. It lasts at least a year. I used to spend a lot more than that on cough syrup and tissue. I don't even buy cough syrup anymore.

Love and hugs,

still Nana

Edited by still Nana
spelling... bad fingers!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Who should avoid mullein?

Consult your doctor before administering mullein to children under 12 years of age. People with plant allergy: people allergic to plants should avoid remedies with mullein. The person may be allergic to mullein, and in addition the plant may contain pollen from other plants due to its dense hairiness.

Does mullein interact with drugs?

Anticoagulant/antiplatelet drugs (warfarin, heparin)Anticoagulant/antiplatelet drugs (warfarin, heparin): Mullein may contain coumarin, and may have an additive effect with other anticoagulants.

Is mullein poisonous?

Is mullein toxic? Yes, mullein contains toxic principles. The root, seeds and, to a lesser extent, the leaves of the plant, contain poisonous components. For this reason, neither roots nor seeds should be used for medicinal purposes.

Does mullein tea raise blood pressure?
Does Mullein Tea Raise Blood Pressure? There are no reports or studies that identify “hypertension” (high blood pressure) as a side effect of mullein tea. The mullein plant does, however, contain coumarin, which is a natural blood thinner.

What does mullein do for lungs?
Mullein is indicated for dry, harsh, hacking coughs, and weak lungs. It is also helpful to the kidney and nervous system. The flowers of this plant are soothing and coat the lungs, while the leaves are more astringent and expectorant, helping the lungs to expel unwanted particles that have been inhaled.

Is mullein good for your lungs?
All plants produce at least a little of this sticky substance, which provides soothing relief to the mucous membranes. Both qualities make it useful for soothing irritation of the lungs, throat, and bronchial passages that may lead to difficulty breathing.

Is mullein good for COPD?
Intravenous magnesium is known to be a powerful bronchodilator. The effect of oral magnesium supplementation in people with COPD has yet to be investigated. Mullein is traditionally used for its ability to promote the discharge of mucus and to soothe mucous membranes.

How much mullein should you take?
Dosing. No recent clinical evidence supports specific dosage of mullein; however, traditional uses of the herb suggest 3 to 4 g of flowers daily and 15 to 30 mL of fresh leaf or 2 to 3 g of dry leaf.

Can you drink mullein tea cold?
A cold infusion is very simple to do! You simply place the herb in cold water, let it soak overnight, remove the herb, then store in your refrigerator. Using cold water instead of hot water optimizes the lung-benefiting, demulcent properties of mullein.

What are the benefits of drinking mullein tea?
Image result
Health Benefits of Mullein Tea
  • May Treat Respiratory Conditions. ...
  • May Help Fight Viral Infections. ...
  • Exhibits Antibacterial Properties. ...
  • May Relieve Issues With Sleep. ...
  • May Aid Tuberculosis Treatment. ...
  • May Improve Digestive Health. ...
  • May Soothe Skin Conditions. ...
  • May Help Relieve Joint Pains And Muscle Spasms.

This is just some of the information available about mullein. Hope it helps.

Love and hugs,

still Nana

• Thanks 5

An aside: Burning dry mullein leaves produces a smoke that can help clear the lungs as well as tea or steam.  Fresh it was used as diaper material by Native Americans and pioneers, as shoe liners, and isn’t bad as a TP.  

• Like 4

Still Nana, Thank you! I'll be following this thread closely. I've been interested in herbal remedies for a long time, but only began making and using home remedies for abut six months. I've made calendula salve, fire ciders,  simple poultices, and the like.

I have my eye on some mullein plants I'll be harvesting from this year, but after reading your post, I decided to get some capsules in stock. I already made some lobelia tincture in case of an asthma emergency (one or two drops at a time - too much can cause cardiac arrhythmias) in the event my prescription inhalers  are no longer available. 

I'm looking forward to learning from the collected wisdom of you, Mother, and other women contributing to this thread.  

• Like 4

Mother, please jump in at any time! you have much more experience than I, and I welcome any opportunity to learn! Thank you so much. I had no idea it could also be burned like sage.

Cricket, this is one of the most interesting things I've ever tried to learn, and believe me, I have many, many, interests! I never knew all the things nature had to offer until I started having some health issues. The more prescriptions I was given, the more I resisted. Now, I don't even take OTC pain relievers. I still have a few prescriptions that are vital but, I'm working on eliminating them as well. And to think it all started as an allergic reaction to a chemical found in food products that are found in most kitchens.

I hope your journey is as fulfilling as you need, and changes the trajectory of your health in a positive direction.

Love and hugs,

still Nana

• Like 2

Nana,  I’m not more knowledgeable just different knowledge.  Each of us here is learning and teaching.  It is what Mrs. S does best!  :grouphug:

• Like 5

Mullein pipes and mullein cigars were an old remedy for dangerous croup.

When I tried to grow it, bugs and/or snails came out every direction to eat it, really worse than anything I've ever managed to get past the sprout stage.  Be ready to defend your plants, and consider keeping them in pots or putting them next to something aromatic enough to confuse the vermin.

My first thought about the inula graveolens was that I could probably grow that.  My second, after some research, was that Bidens was enough of a weed here.  I don't need something worse.

• Like 2

Here's a great idea for an all natural, all purpose cleaner. I remembered to post it as I was peeling an orange for a snack.

Whenever you eat fresh oranges, put the peels inside a large plastic food storage bag or container, and refrigerate until you have at least 6 to 8 peels. The more the merrier! Using a clean half gallon glass jar (with a tight fitting lid) stuff it full d of peels, cover the peels with cleaning vinegar, an close tightly. Place the jar on a window sill or counter with plenty of sunlight. Shake it gently every day for at least 2 weeks. At the end of the 2 weeks, strain the liquid, fill a spray bottle and add 8-10 drops of one or two of the following;

orange or lemon essential oil

rosemary essential oil

thieves oil

You can also add 1 or 2 tablespoons of concentrated dishwashing liquid but you will have to rinse.

I also have in my sunny kitchen window right now, the beginnings of a pretty good all natural, home made bug spray. Yes, I'm a little weird but with grandchildren and pets, i created this years ago to cut down on the number of chemicals in the house.

I fill a 1/2 gallon ball jar with;

1/3 dried lemongrass

1/3 dried peppermint

1/3 dried calendula

I then fill the jar with 70% isopropyl alcohol and let it steep for at least 2 weeks, or until it's so dark green it looks black. Don't forget to shake at least every other day.

Strain and store in a clean glass jar.  Keep out of sunlight at this point. Fill a spray bottle 2/3 full of the tincture, add 5 drops each, citronella oil, lemongrass oil, neem oil (if you have it) and peppermint oil. Fill the rest with fresh isopropyl alcohol. Shake and spray as needed.

Love and hugs,

still Nana

Edited by still Nana
old age and forgetfulness
  • Like 6

My first thought about the inula graveolens was that I could probably grow that.  My second, after some research, was that Bidens was enough of a weed here.  I don't need something worse

Ambergris, I had to look up bidens. This is the first time I've heard of it. Very interesting! I'll have to see about getting some of it. Thanks!

Love and hugs,

still Nana

• Like 1

Do you use calendula flowers, leaves! Or both.?  And what kind of bugs does it discourage?  

I use the petals but I don't see why you couldn't use the whole dried flower. I spray it on flies, spiders and (since I moved back to Texas) those hideous, ugly, disgusting, water bugs/asian roaches. Those things creep me out so bad that in the first few months, I seriously thought about selling the house and moving back to the PNW! I'm absolutely serious! I was gone for 40 years and apparently they came here from southeast asia while I was gone! Had I known, it might have been a deal breaker for me! :yuk::groooansmileyf:

Edited to add; it doesn't just discourage them, it kills them almost immediately!  It's almost satisfying to watch that quick spasm, a few twitches, then gone! If they somehow get away, the neem oil sterilizes them. Even better if they can manage to take it back to the nest.

Love and hugs,

still Nana

Edited by still Nana
additional info
  • Like 1

We have wood roaches here and those guys are huge but not a lot of them thankfully but we do have mosquitoes and they love me.  I can barely be outside when they are bad.  I have grandkids in Texas but I believe I’ll stay in Illinois LOL.  I like the idea of spray and kill.  👍

I use the calendula petals in a lotion for soothing and healing.  

• Like 2

Mother,

They may be the same type of roaches here. They like mulch and rotting vegetation. When they come inside, they die, just not quickly enough for me. If I see one, that's three too many. I hate anything in my house that can't pay a bill, make me laugh, or take out the trash. Well, except for the dog, who really isn't as much dog as he is wolf. He's 75lbs of spoiled brat but it's a bad idea to get between him and me. It would probably be a grave mistake.

Anyway, my next installment on oils...

Let's make a bunch of Thieves oil. This stuff is amazing!

In a pint canning jar;

8 teaspoons clove oil

7 teaspoons lemon oil

4 teaspoons cinnamon oil

3 teaspoons eucalyptus oil

2 teaspoons rosemary oil

2 teaspoons lavender oil

Place the lid on tightly and shake gently. Store in a cool, dark space. Always shake before use. To use, for adults, 50% fractionated (liquid) coconut oil and 50% thieves. For children 75% coconut or sweet almond oil, and 25% thieves. Not for children under 5 years old, but yo can diffuse it in their rooms at night. Ru it on the back of your neck, on your chest or on the bottoms of your feet, and put on fuzzy socks. Works for colds and or flu symptoms.

Love and hugs,

still Nana

Edited by still Nana
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Hmmm... not really Dogmom. I got a bottle in yesterday from Gya Labs. I do buy quite a lot from them with no problems. Also Plant Therapy, Cliganic, Nature's Oil and Ola Prima. I try so many different formulas, I just order what I want to try, after checking reviews and return policies.

I have a steel shelf that's 48"w/18"d/76"h. It's covered in a heavy duty, dark, zippered dust cover. I probably have 150-250 oils, at least 12 carrier oils and  different seed, such as flax, fenugreek8-10 natural plant and nut butters. The shelf is completely loaded, top to bottom with supplies, containers and equipment. It's a LOT!

I have probably 30 different herbs and at least a dozen different seeds and roots, such as flax, fenugreek, cranberry, dandelion, and burdock. I can't think of any more right now. I buy a lot from Amazon because I can be sure to only buy from places I can get a return or refund. I don't have to argue, if it's crap, it goes back.

I also have at least a dozen really good books on oils and herbs; of my favorites one is from Rodale publishing, one from Dorling-Kindersley (I hope I spelled that correctly- I love their books, especially for children!), one is the Essential Oils Bible, a couple from Dr. Schnaubelt (?spelling) and others I don't remember right now.

For some oils, such as lavender, rosemary, peppermint, lemon and eucalyptus, I try to keep a 4 ounce bottle at all times. For others that I use semi-regularly, I get an ounce or two. For the seldom used, I get either 5mm or 15ml. That way, they're not wasted. Oh, BTW, pay very little attention to expiration dates. Just smell your oils before blending. You can easily tell if they are rancid.

One company that I shopped regularly, closed down about 4 years ago, after their founder died. I was really saddened because they had awesome products and I learned a lot from their blogs and emails. They re-opened this year, different name, a lot of the same employees. I was reading a description of one of their blends and they basically said they were using oils they had before they closed , several years back. It's all in how they're stored!:D

Love and hugs,

still Nana

Edited by still Nana
???
  • Like 3

I use the calendula petals in a lotion for soothing and healing.  

Mother, I make a lot of different body butters and salves but, I've only been successful with a lotion, one time. It was for a baby. My lotions are too thick and too oily. Maybe it's like when I tried making jelly- I can make incredible jams but jelly making is not my forte`. 

I guess I need to work on lotion 101 a little more. :pc_coffee:

Love and hugs,

still Nana

• Like 1

Jeepers, I'm really not ignoring you, and I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier. That's a good thing for your DIL to do. Does she make her own or buy it pre-made? If she doesn't make her own, it would be cost effective to make a batch- I've posted a recipe in here, somewhere.

When covid first hit and I couldn't find hand sanitizer, I filled a small -purse sized- stainless steel spray bottle with 90% isopropyl alcohol, and added about 30 or so drops of thieves oil. I did find other sanitizer later but I still keep a bottle in my  purse for public use. I just feel better after a quick spray when I'm out and about. Especially when I'm at the VA hospital. I inevitably have to use the bathroom when I'm there and almost all of the entry doors are automatic but the stall doors are not. I'd rather us my sanitizer to be sure after I leave bathroom.

:pc_coffee:

Love and hugs,

still Nana

• Like 2

I have my eye on some mullein plants I'll be harvesting from this year, but after reading your post, I decided to get some capsules in stock. I already made some lobelia tincture in case of an asthma emergency (one or two drops at a time - too much can cause cardiac arhythmias) in the event my prescription inhalers  are no longer available. 

Cricket, I just realized you said you make a tincture out of lobelia, good for you! I wanted to tell you, I made a tincture out of the mullein. I filled a quart jar with the mullein, poured in an 80 proof (good) vodka to the top, and let it sit, in a cool dark place for at least a month. I honestly don't remember how long. It turned out great! I still have about a pint left, and it's still good, almost 2 years later.

:pc_coffee:

Love and hugs,

still Nana

• Like 2