MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning ground chicken?

I started cooking up my ground chicken like I do my ground beef and couldn't find the recipe in the Ball book. I started researching the internet and have found out that ground chicken isn't recommended as a canning recipe.  :0327:  It's not that it's bad, just that it's not been tested and approved. Has anyone else run into this??  B)

I think I'll put away the pint jars and finish cooking the ground chicken and put it back into the freezer. I had hoped to alleviate freezer congestion, but I guess not this week.  :laughkick:

• Like 2

I had no idea that you couldn't do this!   :ashamed0002: :canning: :blush:

I just figured (assumed, that is) that you would follow the same procedures as for ground beef: par-cook it before canning it.

But you are right; there is no tested/approved method. :o

BTW- I haven't done it so far, and now I won't.

There are no tested recommendations from reputable sources for the home canning of ground poultry (be it chicken, or turkey, or other.)

Penn State Extension says, “No canning procedures have been tested for canning ground poultry or poultry sausage.” [1]

Healthy Canning received confirmation in writing in January 2017 from Penn State that their caution, first published in 2012, still applies. [2]

We also checked with the National Center for Home Food Preservation in January 2017, and, like Penn State, they don’t know either of any USDA home canning research that would support the home canning of ground poultry on its own as a meat pack. Note that that doesn’t preclude ground poultry’s use as an ingredient in a tested home canning recipes in which its use is specifically supported.

The only example we know of, as of March 2020, is the USDA spaghetti sauce recipe on page 69 of the 2014 edition of “So Easy To Preserve“. There, the authors allow ground turkey as a substitute for the ground beef. [3]

The USDA’s general directions for home canned ground meat apply to “Bear, beef, lamb, pork, sausage, veal, venison.”  [4]

In any event, until such a day as we have tested times for processing ground poultry, freeze it.

However, I wonder if you could can "chicken meatballs?" :shrug:

No, no you can't.

CANNING MEATBALLS IN TOMATO JUICE

The ground meats supported for this by the USDA are only the following: Bear, Beef, Lamb, Pork, Sausage, Veal, and Venison. To be clear, that means that ground poultry (chicken, duck, turkey, any fowl) is not supported, nor is squirrel.

https://www.healthycanning.com/canning-meatballs-tomato-juice

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I didn't know that about ground chicken. Wonder why it is different from ground beef. Only because it hasn't been tested? I wonder if it could be canned if cooked first?

I can my chicken after it is pressure cooked and shredded.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mother said:

I wonder if it can safely be dehydrated? 

If you mean made into jerky, here is a website that I found that will answer all of your questions: 6 Steps To Making Safe Jerky
https://www.jerkyholic.com/6-steps-to-making-safe-jerky/

He goes over the proper techniuqes for thawing, marinating, and processing your chicken. Here it is in a nutshell:

• Defrost in the fridge
  • Marinate in the fridge
  • Heat meat to 160 to kill bacteria before placing in dehydrator
  • Slice 1/4" thick
  • Use curing salt (… No jerky recipe NEEDS cure as long as beef is heated to 160°F and fowl to 165°F. But it is another line of defense to kill bacteria and allows your jerky to last longer.)
  • Store jerky in a cool dry place for up to a week or vacuum seal and freeze for up to 6 months.

Hope this helps. :yum3:

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Thanks 4

Thanks.  I was thinking more of crumbles like with beef.  Having to freeze it to store kind of defeats the purpose for preps.  But being safe is important.  Maybe canning the chicken first and then use it chopped or pulled would be better. 

• Like 2

I ground up a turkey into turkey burger, cooked it like I do the hamburger, and canned it. So far I haven't had an issue with it. But it is not in the ball blue book so if you do it you are on your own. Sort of like them saying squash is not safe for canning but it is in one of my ball blue books and I have been canning it for years with no issues. It is no longer recommended to can squash but I forgot the reason. But since I have never had any issues I continue to can it. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Mother said:

Thanks.  I was thinking more of crumbles like with beef.  Having to freeze it to store kind of defeats the purpose for preps.  But being safe is important.  Maybe canning the chicken first and then use it chopped or pulled would be better. 

Most of the people that I "know" dehydrate/jerky chicken to make dog treats, so I don't think they make a whole lot at one time. No need to freeze it as you can store it in the fridge. The only long-term shelf-stable way to safely store chicken is by pressure canning it.

It sounds like what you want to do is best done by freeze-drying it (yourself or purchased already processed).

1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

I didn't know that about ground chicken. Wonder why it is different from ground beef. Only because it hasn't been tested? I wonder if it could be canned if cooked first?

I can my chicken after it is pressure cooked and shredded.  

From what I've gleaned, there are 2 reasons: you've mentioned the first - it's not been tested. The second reason probably has to do with potential salmonella on the surface of the chix being mixed into the inside of the crumbles - maybe?

However, you do not have to pre-cook you chicken pieces in order to pressure can it. You can raw pack chicken both boneless/skinless, OR, bone-in/skin-on.

31 minutes ago, Littlesister said:

I ground up a turkey into turkey burger, cooked it like I do the hamburger, and canned it. So far I haven't had an issue with it. But it is not in the ball blue book so if you do it you are on your own. Sort of like them saying squash is not safe for canning but it is in one of my ball blue books and I have been canning it for years with no issues. It is no longer recommended to can squash but I forgot the reason. But since I have never had any issues I continue to can it. 

because squash "disintigrates" into a "blob" during processing and there is no assurance that the interior of the mass is heated adequately. Same thing with pumpkin. It is my understanding though that you can add sliced/cubed squash to a soup as part of the 50% solids allowed for these recipes.

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

USDA Guidelines for making jerky: https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/dry/jerky.html?fbclid

@Littlesister  Check out this page for a list of changes/recommendations that have been published: https://www.healthycanning.com/whats-new-home-canning/

There’s been a lot happening in home canning in the past few years.

Here’s a recap of some major events in home canning in the past few decades. Did you miss anything?

Links are provided for each so you can catch up, as needed.

You’ll want to keep abreast of developments so that you can ensure optimal safety, quality and efficiency in your work.

Major procedural changes are starred * and in bold

*1988. The USDA withdraws canning recommendations for mashed squash and pumpkin, and says they are no longer safe to can in that form; only cubed.  (In 1978, at the University of Minnesota, Zottola et al. had re-evaluated some low-acid processes.  This led to the USDA’s 1988 withdrawal of recommendations for mashed squash  and pumpkin.)

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Littlesister said:

It is no longer recommended to can squash but I forgot the reason. But since I have never had any issues I continue to can it. 

NO CANNING ZUCCHINI & SUMMER SQUASH

The USDA has withdrawn recommendations for canning zucchini and summer squash, which appeared in former editions of So Easy to Preserve and in USDA bulletins. The reason for the withdrawal is because of the uncertainty about adequate processing times. Squash are low-acid vegetables; therefore, they require pressure canning for a known period of time to destroy the bacteria that cause botulism. Documentation for the previous processing times cannot be found, and available reports do not support the old process. Attempts to reproduce the old process did not result in adequate heating to ensure safety. Slices or cubes of cooked summer squash will get quite soft and pack tightly into the jars. The amount of squash filled into a jar will affect the heating pattern within the jar, and may result in inadequate processing and an unsafe product. For more information, please see National Center for Home Food Preservation – Frequently Asked Canning Questions.

https://hgic.clemson.edu/no-canning-zucchini-summer-squash/

Preserving winter squash and pumpkins

The only safe instructions for home canning stingless pumpkin and winter squash are for cubed flesh in a pressure canner. Follow these safety precautions:

• Soup made with pumpkin, winter squash, broccoli, cauliflower cannot be safely home canned. Freeze instead. 
  • Mashed or pureed or stringy squash like spaghetti squash, cannot be safely home canned because it's too thick preventing adequate heat penetration to the center of the jar allowing harmful bacteria, like c. botulinum can survive. 
  • While it is true that previous USDA recommendations had directions for canning mashed winter squash, but USDA withdrew those recommendations after studies conducted at the University of Minnesota in the 1970's found too much variation in density among different batches of prepared pumpkin purees to give a single processing recommendation to cover the variation among products. 
  • University of Minnesota researchers also evaluated processing times and methods and released updated recommendations released in 1994. Be sure to look at the date of the resources and choose sources printed from 1994 and beyond. Earlier editions do not have current methods and processes. Using recipes from canning publications or cookbooks dated before 1994 will be under-processed (Zottola et. al, 1978).

https://extension.umn.edu/preserving-and-preparing/preserving-winter-squash-and-pumpkins

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Midnightmom said:

because squash "disintigrates" into a "blob" during processing and there is no assurance that the interior of the mass is heated adequately. Same thing with pumpkin. It is my understanding though that you can add sliced/cubed squash to a soup as part of the 50% solids allowed for these recipes.

I knew I had read this somewhere!

The USDA does not recommend canning summer squash or zucchini alone.  Rather the recommendation is to preserve by freezing, pickling, or drying.  An adequate processing times has not been established for a safe product.  Squash are low-acid vegetables requiring pressure canning to destroy the bacteria that cause botulism.

The heat required to can squash results in the squash flesh turning mushy and sinking to the bottom of the canning jar. The compacted flesh does not heat evenly. 

Zucchini may only be canned when paired with tomatoes using a tested recipe from The National Center for Home Food Preservation (NCHFP):  https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_03/tomato_okra_zucchini.html OR paired with pineapple juice, sugar, and lemon juice using a recipe also from the NCHFP, https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_02/zucchini_pineapple.html. Zucchini Pineapple maybe used in salads, desserts, or other recipes calling for crushed or chunk pineapple.

Preserving Summer Squash/Iowa State University Extension and Outreach:  https://blogs.extension.iastate.edu/answerline/2022/08/02/preserving-summer-squash/  

• Thanks 1

My squash has never turned into a blob. And I have been adding another 10 minutes to the time every time I can it since that recommendation. I had forgotten the reason but that did remind me. Thank you for the reminder.  It is just one of those things my grandmother did and I have been canning it for many years and just never had an issue.

• Like 1

I have canned my chicken raw but I don't like the looks of it. Especially that white stuff sticking to jar. AKA ugly chicken. I'm not a big meat eater and I'm very picky about it. Only way I can eat fried chicken is if I pull the meat and skin off of the bone, discard that and then eat the white meat. Nearly always the breast. Other than that I do like chicken meat. I used to be able to eat a thigh or leg but I don't know what happened.  

• Like 2