MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Not throwing food away

This morning I cooked up 5 lbs. of sausage for DH to have in the freezer.  I'd gotten it on sale for $2.99 lb.  When I finished, I cooked rice in the grease drippings (after draining the excess fat).  Next, I cut up peppers, celery, onion and carrots.  Two days ago, we had fried chicken and I removed the leftovers from the bones and added it to the mixture.

In the end I had a flavorful and delicious chicken fried rice with food that, if I hadn't used today or tomorrow, would have been thrown out.

I try to never throw food away.  It's amazing what you can cook up with just a little ingenuity.  

sausage chicken fried rice 2  5-5-23.jpg

sausage chicken fried rice 3 5-3-23.jpg

• Like 7

That really looks good.  

Dee can you teach my GS how not to throw away food. He is the most wasteful kid I ever saw.  Cooks up more than he can eat and instead of putting leftovers in fridge it goes in trash. GS has a lot to learn in the school of hard knocks.

• Like 4

My pets are of the opinion that if I go into the kitchen they MUST follow just in case I drop something, LOL.  I save all bones for bone broth in the crockpot.  then I cook rice in it.  When we have canned veggies I save the liquid too..;.it either goes in the gravy or in the stockpot.  Leftovers go into my morning eggy fried rice.  I cant see wasting stuff either.  I just researched ways to use the stalks of kale and collards in recipes.  Pickled looks tasty.  All I aim to throw out is packaging, not anything orgnanic.  If I get inundatI need 2 kinds, one for poultry droppings (hot) and another for goat berries (not hot).  Heck, maybe I can sell compost to the neighbors who are starting to copy us and make gardens.

• Like 3

My pets are of the opinion that if I go into the kitchen they MUST follow just in case I drop something, LOL.  I save all bones for bone broth in the crockpot.  then I cook rice in it.  When we have canned veggies I save the liquid too..;.it either goes in the gravy or in the stockpot.  Leftovers go into my morning eggy fried rice.  I cant see wasting stuff either.  I just researched ways to use the stalks of kale and collards in recipes.  Pickled looks tasty.  All I aim to throw out is packaging, not anything orgnanic.  What the pets dont want the poultry and goats relish,  They pay e back with manure. If I get inundated I need 2 compost heaps, one for poultry droppings (hot) and another for goat berries (not hot).  Heck, maybe I can sell compost to the neighbors who are starting to copy us and make gardens.

• Like 2