MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Three Rivers Homestead

I watch a lady on YouTube.  I love her and her videos.   She is doing a Three Rivers challenge, which is trying to use the frozen and canned foods that needs using up.  For 2 months she is trying not to go to the grocery store very often.  She seldom throws any food away and uses it for this and that, to make this and that.

Mother and I have talked for years about how we seldom throw food away.  It takes some time and thinking AND it helps if you have more than just you and your DH at home.  It was much easier back with children at home.

She saves tons of money using up leftovers and yet feeds her big family well.   Check her out and let us know what you think of her. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

She sounds very similar to how I tend to make my recipes for kids.   Thanks for the introduction to her channel.   I love that she talks about the teens eating more.  My husband eats 2 hamburger patties while the rest of us eat 1.  Actually, I usually eat 1/2 and DD15 eats hers and the other half of mine.  We aren't picky about eating around each other.  

I'm jealous because I'd love to have that many children or bonus children.  

I have been having a hard time cooking for fewer people for the last decade.  I'm slowly getting used to it.  I usually don't cook on weekends and we have du jour leftovers on those days.  

I love how she says 'this season of life'  it completely reflects my thought process.  

I make my chicken, tuna, and egg salad all the same--though I do make  a 'different' cranberry chicken salad upon occasion for me and DD15.

No measurements:

chicken/tuna/diced boiled eggs or combination

Mayo

Mustard

Diced Pickles

Salt/pepper

Celery Seed

I definitely add her to my YouTube subsection.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 6

This is pretty much how I cook and always have cooked. I enjoy the challenge of ‘using up’ leftovers in recipes or as Euphrasyne said, we use them as free choice ‘buffet’ meal portions.  Or we have them for breakfast or brunch. Most meals I still cook in the quantities I did when the kids were all home.  I just freeze the extra in meal sized portions to have later.  It cuts down considerably the hours spent in the kitchen and on the clean up. 

Not having chickens now and with eggs being so pricey I don’t use as many as she does.  I have been doing a lot of non egg recipes. I also cook gluten free. Not having chickens or dogs and only two feral cats I use scraps in different ways than I used to. Peelings and bones are saved in the freezer until I have enough to make batches of broth and I use the root ends as starts to plants all year instead of just in the winter as in the past.  My left over cooked peelings after making vegetable broth are put into the compost and the leftover bones are fed to the cats or dried to powder for bone broth.  

I really enjoyed her video.  Someone after my own style! :happy0203:  

• Like 6

First time seeing this video. Not heard of her before now. Thank you for the introduction.  Trying to cook for one is really hard. But I am doing it. So I have left overs that I eat the next day. I like how she uses the left over meat like the pork chops for a breakfast meal. Using the rice was a neat idea. I always have leftover rice when I cook it. 

• Like 3

Glad you liked her!  I've watched her a few months now and enjoy her so much.  Like you euphrasyne, I'm jealous of her house full of children.  It's exactly what I wanted but God has a way of adjusting our life.  We adopted our 2, we added 40+ foster children and 7 exchange students.  I got my house full of children for years.  Now, I prefer watching her and others and letting them do the work! :) 

• Like 3

I also wanted a house full of children but things happen and I only had the one child and lost one child. But after meeting my second husband we had two girls between us. We were blessed with 5 grandchildren and now one great grandchild due in October. Though they were moving in on me right after DH passed away and then construction starting it was the wrong time for that to happen. Now they can come visit and not move in on me. To old for the drama my GS provided me.