MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Greetings from the Sunshine State!

GettinReady

I am SO happy to have stumbled across this site today!

I'm a member of several other "survivalist" type sites including being a Moderator on one but they are all so full of of High Octane Testosterone that it often makes me feel uncomfortable to post even the most basic of ideas or thoughts. Especially the things I feel are important coming from a woman's point of view! This board seems to be very tolerant and accepting of even the simplest of ideas. How refreshing!!

I live on the east coast of Florida with my (new) husband and two dogs. One day earlier this year something hit me like a ton of bricks. We are in for some dark days ahead. After hours researching on the net I discovered I was not alone in my thinking. Up until that point I had no reason to prepare for a long term event outside of a hurricane. Nor the knowledge of how to do so. Admittedly, I always do a good job during Hurricane Season and survived two direct hits in 2004 which rendered me without power for more than five weeks between the two back to back storms but I realized I needed to prepare for an even longer event. Something more substantial. My husband immediately jumped on board with me (he grew up LDS so it wasn't a stretch :P ) and we have been going at it full tilt ever since.

I'm looking forward to learning from this group and sharing from my personal experience.

GettinReady :)

Welcome! I'm halfway between you and TRuth. I think we have a couple of members just north and a little south of you, too.

If you're looking for fruit trees/bushes for your particular weather challenges, I know a great nursery. You could make it in a day trip for the price of shipping, though.

GettinReady,

:welcome:

Nice to see another Floridan join the forums. I'm a former east coaster myself, having lived in Davie, Satellite Beach and Cocoa. Now I'm near Tallahassee. Sure do miss having Indian River citrus in my backyard.

Do you can? :canning: I've got some great strawberry jam and mango jam recipes to share if you do.

Tiger

Thanks for the welcome everybody! And glad to see a few locals as well!

As for canning, that's a big 10-4! Got my canner going right now as a matter of fact. I did some kiwi jelly earlier this year (beautiful looking by the way, tastes like apple jelly and was really good) but my focus right now is on meats. Want to make sure we have enough quality proteins stashed back. We've got some Spam and tuna and the like but there's nothing like a home cooked hunk o' meat from a mason jar! :thumbs:

• 2 months later...

Don't pine! :hug3: You are where you are for a reason. In February when you're shovelling snow and I'm picking daffodils you'll wonder about it, but when we have three straight weeks where the thermometer swings between 83 (at 4 a.m.) and 106 (4 p.m.) you'll have a better idea.

I'm new here, too, but reading this is making me pine away for Florida. I lived there all my life until November 08, when I married my hubby and moved to OHIO!!! :)

Welcome! I can imagine that Ohio is a pretty big change from Florida. I'm a native Texan who moved to Tennessee about 4 years ago. You wouldn't think there'd be much culture shock between those two states, but I spent a lot of time in the beginning doing something like this: :0327:

But you adjust and enjoy! :bouquet:

Archived