MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cake in a jar

Jori

We were given cake in a jar for Christmas. They used a box mix but I'm wondering if I can make it using a cake mix from scratch. Any thoughts? Also, they said it should last for a year - quart jar with lid. Thoughts on that, please.

Are you talking about a cake *baked* in the jar, or the mixed-up ingredients in the jar (usually in layers)?

The baked cakes do NOT keep for a year, although you can still find that on the internet. Baked goods are NOT safe in jars.

We have a thread... several, in fact... but I have to go work at the school for a little while, and can't find them right now.

If it's not already here when I return, I'll find them...

:bighug2:

Correct, baked. And thanks for the info and link!

Jori

Jori,

You should throw that thing away. You cannot see, taste, or smell botulism. It may be inside that jar cake. Really, they are dangerous.

Not worth it to eat a little cake to take such a big risk.

(Well, if it's a canning jar, save the *jar* and sterilize it! ;) Never waste a good canning jar!)

Looks like the links are up. I think there might be another in the Holiday forum, but I think you get the picture!

(Well, if it's a canning jar, save the *jar* and sterilize it! ;) Never waste a good canning jar!)

Looks like the links are up. I think there might be another in the Holiday forum, but I think you get the picture!

LOL! :lol: Thanks for all of the help.

we make this kind of cake all the time and it is good. Now if I only can find the recipe we use?

I have to ask Lori when she get home.

Any way The Best part about this 'cake in a jar' . . . . . . . . . .

YOU CAN MAIL IT!!!!!!!

Yes it is the best and special Birthday Cake we mail! just put a happy birthday sticker on the lid tape a candle to the side and put in a small box and mail it to someone far away who you want to make a birthday cake for. My Mom Loves getting her every year. Also good for work as everyone get they own cake and left overs can go home. Lori does this for work now and then. Need to make a get well basket? Jar Cake again as they can open the jar when they are still in bed - eat some, put the lid back on and eat some more in 1/2 hour (it needs to be freged is openned longer then about 1 hour).

:AmishMichael2:

>>>

Penn State strongly discourages consumers from canning cakes and breads in jars. Botulism is a serious and often fatal disease and no consumer should take unnecessary risks with this microorganism. If someone gives you a home canned cake or bread product, assume that it is unsafe to eat and immediately discard the contents.<<<

http://foodsafety.cas.psu.edu/jar_bread.htm

To add to the discussion, you would not believe the number of people I've talked too lately about 'canned' cake and breads.

One lady is still very firmly convinced that it's safe because she does it in wide mouth pint jars, and "after all, the jars are warm from the oven so the lids seal and they are baked so the contents must be sterile!"

As much fun as it sounds, I just can't do this... my grandma's mantra is running through my head "I will not eat it even though I can...I will not eat it, not for any man"

For pete's sake, toss the cake, keep the jar & freeze some cookie dough and bake those for company & birthdays...

Make a cake-mix in a jar and let the person bake it... please don't take a chance with this .... even though someone may have done it a million times, all it takes is ONCE for botulism to kill ya...

Oh - and the best reason - no fair going to heaven ahead of me!!! :grinning-smiley-044:

From experience...

The cakes do not have a long shelf life, and should not be made AT ALL in the canning jars.

The manufacturers of the canning jars warn against using their jars in this manner. The canning jars are not made to be placed in a dry heat oven.

Facts aside, common sense would dictate that there are no preservatives in these cakes to safely preserve them long term. I would not give them out as gifts...I wouldn't wanna be responsible for making someone else sick.

Oh, and btw, I have made them and they do go bad. Solid seal and all.

Miss Jori,

I think you may want to bleach that jar and the ring...just to be on the safe side. I think CannedNerd would be able to give us some more input on how to safely sterilize a suspect canning jar...he's told me the process once, but like a dorko, I didn't print it out! :rolleyes:

I don't believe that was me, but I doubt in this case that there is any contamination to worry about. Just a good washing in hot soapy water would be good. "Sterilizing" doesn't really mean much when the item is exposed to the air, your hands, towel, etc., touching it. You just want to get/keep everything reasonably clean.

I was the one to post about decontamination of jars.

Yes, I would bleach it, too, since you have no way of knowing if botulism was in that jar cake.

Here is the link on how to dispose of suspect foods :

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/general/ident...anned_food.html

:blush: Sorry, guys!! Mistaken identity...don't ask me how that happened! LOLOL

I'm a bleach freak, so I happily advocate the bleaching of almost everything. Glad to know I wasn't too far off track here, Violet. :)

Archived