MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How many in your area are talking about Bird Flu?

Schoolmarm's thread sharing the latest government link and also the article Waiting shared caused me to wonder about this.

What I mean by the question is this:

How many in your church are discussing preparing for Bird Flu?

How many at your husband's business?

Any neighbors or friends openly discussing their concerns over this? Relatives?

I don't know about everyone else here, but in my area I have not heard a peep from anyone. The silence is deafening.

And maybe I'm mistaken, but it seems that even Y2K did not get half the media coverage this issue has.

What's happening where you live?

No one here is talking about it, when I bring it up , I get the look!!!! No one elses shopping habits seem to change, I have heard about it on our local news and on national news, even our small town paper put in a watered down article on the subject, but no one at all seems to be concerned about it except for me!!!!

Actually there has been some interest in it in my area. The local paper came out with a whole preparation insert about three weeks ago. Some that I've talked to did see it but some just tossed it. There has been small blurbs in our newspapers almost daily but usually relagated to the back pages. The last two days however, though they are still small, they have been on the front page. Our local college also has an "Avian Flu Session" listed in the paper. It is set for April 18th. They will mostly be talking about what the government is doing about it but at least it's out in the open now, opening the way for other discussions.

I've talked to a lot of people about this in the last week or so and am surprised that even if they don't know anything about it, most ask at least some questions.

As far as relatives go. DD started stocking up canned goods last week, though she is normally stocked up ahead anyway. My Mom also.

As for the Pandemicflu.gov site. It's been up and running for months now. I believe Lois has it listed at the top of her list of Avian Flu links that is sticky noted to the top of this website. The site has evolved over the last few months as new info comes in. It now contains state by state plans for a pandemic but those mainly pertain to public entities like the health department and etc. There is a small area for personal planning and I will say it's at least updated from the original few days supply they reccomended. It now says and "extended" time. There is information on there for businesses, faith based and community organizations and lots more.

There is actually a lot of information for being prepared, albeit for a terrorist attack, on www.ready.gov which is a web site that has been up since 9-11.

In our area, it's not that the info is not out there. I hear a lot from people who say that they just have so much going on in their life right now, so many stresses and so many worries that they just can't take on one more thing; that they just don't have the funds to buy anything extra. And it's true. Every word of it IS true. These are not uncaring people who are saying this. When I faced this fact, it made me look at this whole thing in a new way.

I suddenly realized that I can't be just shoving the fact that they SHOULD prepare at them. That's basically what they are hearing. I realized that they needed to be given ways and means TO prepare. Sure, they could come here to Mrs. S and find out but most people I know don't have that sort of time or energy after working all day or whatever. And lets face it, Mrs. S is a big site with so much information scattered through out it that it takes some work to find it. Most just don't want to take the time.

What I am hoping to do, is set up a time in a couple of weeks to have a family/friends meeting about this. Several are interested it seems. And I'm hoping some of you will be willing to help with this and then take the info to your own family and friends. Check out my other post on this forum if you would like to help.

My friends, who are preppers, continue to prep.

Several who are not have at least bought masks

and Sambucal.

In general near Detroit, I would

say few people are preparing.

I pity them but they have the right to make

choices if they are willing to live with

the consequences. I have seen little

on Detroit television or in the newspapers.

Mother, you bring up some interesting thoughts about people having so much on their plates that they can barely think about BF. I think you've hit on something there. Think of families with single mothers or taking care of elderly parents and other types of situations. Some people do have heavy responsibilities and adding all this to the pile is enormous.

Still, there are many people in flatout denial. I meet with some women for crafts periodically and the last time we got together I brought up Bird Flu and asked if anyone's thinking about it. No one said a word. Instead, the subject changed to cruises they had taken in the past, a blessing I will probably never enjoy in my life.

One thing I pray about is that God helps us stay healthy in other ways if the BF comes. Just think how awful it would be if your husband had an accident with a saw where his hand got seriously cut and you had to get him to ER during a pandemic. Or if someone had a heart attack. We depend on God like air itself.

Patches, I don't know the ages of your children, but I have had to follow a similar regimen to keep my son healthy so I can understand the challenges. My son cannot have milk, wheat, corn or eggs so it means I have to cook from scratch. The good news is that my family's health is probably better overall, although we did all get the regular flu recently and that was discouraging considering how hard we try to eat properly.

If you'd like to PM me I'll be happy to share ideas that have worked for my family. And as Nana so kindly said, welcome to the board!

I work in a small tavern and serve alot of 'locals'. Men and women and most have been friends or known each other their whole lives. There tends to be alot of 'news' discussed, but I have a rule--"NO POLITICS, NO RELIGION, NO SEX"--these subjects tend to cause argueing and can even get close to the fighting point occasionally--and that's just NOT allowed where I work. I only allow them discussed with the news if they are a matter of FACT and not OPINION. The bird flu does get discussed occasionally, but I haven't heard a word on being prepared. I think like someone else stated that some think 'Well, Y2K didn't happen and neither will this." I also think that some who prepared for Y2K were razzed about it so much that they are being more 'quiet' about preparing for anything now.

I only know me. I try and talk to the neighbors, but they say "yes, I need to, but I don't have: money, storage space, we'll eat it, etc etc." Really feel discouraged concerning them. Mentioned it to one of our young mothers at church - she didn't want to worry about it. Oldest DD is slowing trying to build up her supplies, but I don't think she has the same sense of urgency that I do. Feeling very frustrated right now.

I don't know anyone! I have brought it up, but most say that they don't believe it will happen and others are too afraid to consider it! So frustrating! We did try and address it in our Women's Newsletter at church....we are working to get it printed and passed out to the ladies!

Guest Guest

Deblyn,

we can meet for coffee anytime! (and maybe pie or cake , chocolate pie or cake!) and talk away! quick before gas prices go up!

Archived