MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Insomnia

PoorMusician

I drink an 8oz glass of warm milk with a tsp spoon full of nut meg stirred into it. I some times add a drop of vanilla. I sit and read a book until i feel just a little sleepy. Then when i go to bed I think about laying out on a warm sandy beach and start at my toes slowly warming up and move my focus up the rest of my body ( kinda like a mediation state ) LOL I usually fall asleep before I reach my head.

Well, My doctor said I had two options: Try a whole long list of things to shut down my brain at night, or go on medication. Well, the medication made me sick and the herbal remedies my friends gave me made me hyper so I'm on the whole long list now and I've never felt better. Got rid of my late afternoon Dr. Pepper, and started eating my meals at close to the same time every day. Also suggested was do the exact same things before bed every evening. Your brain will start to learn that these things are related to sleep. It's been really cool, though I have to be careful what I make a part of the routine. So far it has been a bit of light cleaning (in my PJs), brushing my hair and teeth, and then slipping into bed and kissing my husband. This afternoon I was brushing my teeth and started to get a little drowsy.

Thanks all, hopefully this takes care of the problem!

Glad things are looking up for you. I try to think of something that I hope will relax me.

There have been times I have just gotten up and come on the computer for a while or I've read for a while.

For some reason, it seems that a lot of the time I don't sleep well at night it is after I've not had a nap in the afternoon. My naps usually are 10 - 15 minutes and then I'm ready to go again. If I sleep longer than that, I'm sick.

I've been reading Andrew Weil's new book, Healthy Aging. One of his recommendations for good health is to get stress under control. All the better if you can do this when you are younger. Some of the things he suggests is using relaxing breathing and then use it when you feel the pressure mounting through out your day.

My sister has fibromyalgia which includes bouts of insomnia. One of the things she takes is Valerian (as Darlene also said) capsules. Recently my dh had a bad bout with insomnia so we got some valerian and it worked wonderfully for him.

• 5 months later...

Smells bad, It smells great.

Anyway, I would suggest a combination, of

Lavendar pillow bag.

Camomile tea as a relaxant.

Valerian could be added.

Acupressure points such as the one called peacefull sleep to atart with.

Heres a very quick break down of acupressure.

Cun, pronounced tsun, 1 cun is equal to your thumb width at base of nail.

Do not use it if there are any marks of any type over the point, use the other side etc.

Never use it when pregnant etc.

See an acupunturist at your local herbal shop, If's he is white he will probably tell you which points are good to use plus tell you if it is safe for you.

Points.

Anmian - Peacefull sleep - 1 Cun behind the ear lobe below the bone ridge but above the muscles, feel for a hollow.

San jinjiao - 3 cun above the middle of the ankle bone, just behind and against the shin.

Shen men - On the inside of the wrist, half a cun or so above the wrist crease, inline with the little finger, So on your right hand thats the left inside edge.

Neiguan - In the middle of the inside wrist 2 cun above the wrist crease.

Rub each of these in a circular fashion with your index finger, if you can use points on both side of the body at the same time, use your partner.

Oh but do not rub hard, it should be soft but heavy enough to feel and for no more than two minutes each point.

Using all of the above or a combination therof, I have never failed to get sleep.

But usually it doesn't bother me and I end up doing something productive in the awake time anyway, and use energy boosting points the next day.

lol

Hope these help.

Oh look for acu images on google, theres loads available, just type in acupressure points and in advanced image search hit medium, Look for the grey pics with all the points, they are printable.

Archived