MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning 8/14/6

quiltys41

I've got 9 pints and 1 half pint of chicken chunks in the pressure canner right now. The left over broth will go into the freezer until later when I have more time to can it up.

I worked up tomato's yesterday and the puree is in the fridge waiting to be made up into something, maybe pizza sauce. Dee, would you share your pizza sauce recipe?

I always HATE to admit this but for my salsa and pizza sauce I use Mrs. Wage's mixes. I add the vinegar (or sugar with the pizza sauce) and tomatoes and Mrs. Wages does the rest. I simply can't find a recipe to beat the taste so I've quit trying.

Emma and I peeled, cut, chopped, dug, washed, peeled...for hours and have 14 quarts of beef stew ready to can. We ran back to the garden 3 times, to dig more carrots. Once we had it almost ready, a storm came up and I didn't want to chance the power going out, after all this work. Tomorrow I'll can the stew and probably add some quarts of potatoes. I'll need to run the second canner and it won't be completely full. Might as well fill it all the way up!

A day or two late but we have been busy!

Canned :

40 pints corn off the cob

13 Bread-n-Butter Pickles

14 Qts Vegetable soup

14 pints Peaches

5 pints Pickled Cauliflower

And some else I can't remember what ??????

and we agree on Mrs. Wages you can't beat it for good and fast ! We use it for Ketchup (the beat) , salsa and some times even pizza sauce. Great for when you get a deal on vegetables and then don't have the time for a long canning day.

I have canned 6 pints of Serrano Chili Salsa. Whew...it is hot!

I hope to get enough green beans in the next couple days to start canning those as well! I have already frozen some!

Archived