MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I HATE BATS!!!!

Necie

I'm glad you didn't kill him. Bats eat a ton of skeeters.

I feel your pain tho- our house was built in 1890 and Alec can do a 'spider ID and research' homeschool project in the bathroom.

gotta love these old houses

EEEK! I know where your bat went!!! We have a nice round glass table on our deck, with an umbrella. The umbrella is folded down when we ae not using it. Friday we noticed what appeared to be mouse droppings on the table, near the umbrella pole. What the heck...?

Dear hubby starts to investigate... and out swoops a bat that had been using the inside of our umbrella for a roost! Fortunately, he hasn't been back since. However, I am still relucatant to go open that umbrella, and will probably feel squishy about it for some time to come.

Here's method I used to drop a bat out of flight up at our ceiling. (Yes, we popped him in a box, drove a ways away, and let him loose where he might not come back down our oil stove chimney again.) I took an old (now disposable) sweater with a very loose yarn weave to it. Really fuzzy kind. Just tossed it up at the bat like a net. The (what do ya call em?) pinions of his "wings" caught up in the weave. We extracated him with a stick and a pair of tongs and he flew right off. That's the hard part cuz you do **not** want to get bit. They are one of those animals that stays alive for a while after being infected by the rabies virus. I've had the shots and take care to never do that again. Well.... it beats trying to bop him with a broom.

MtRider

• 3 weeks later...

When I was in HS, I used to be the student assistant to one of the biology teachers there. HE would always get calls from the Plymouth Congregational church in town, because they literally DID have bats in thier belfry!

Periodically the bats would get down into the church office area and then they would call the HS. I got dispatched several times to rescue the ladies there. It took a good butterfly net, and a pair of leather work gloves. We usually brought them back to school to observe for a while before they got let go.

Poor kids. I was in 3rd grade (looong ago) when I had to get rabies shots. Our whole family did. Not a bat - skunk passed it to our cat. In those days it was 20+ shots in stomach. I came out of that experience with a needle phobia.

I repeat: do NOT get bit by skunk, bat, or squirrel. They are the most prone to pass the virus.

BUT bats are very useful critters --- outside. Teach kids to never approach a wild animal acting tame. And never pick up a dead animal (it might not even be dead).

MtRider

Hi yall. New here. I am a project manager for bridge projects. One of my projects was shut down for 8 months due to bats breeding. We couldn't tear it down until the babies could fly. Found out it is a $500 fine to kill or harass a BAT!! aggrevating critters. btw bats can take off just fine from the ground. saw that one too up close and personal.

Welcome to MrsS, Ann.

So is that $500 fine a local, state, or national sort of thing? 8 mos is a long delay. Bats are live birth aren't they? Wonder why long?

Sounds like you had one take off in your face???

We used to throw rocks up into the air at nite when we were kids. It would intersect the bats radar and we'd watch them swoop at the rock to investigate. (No, never had one swoop at us.) We thot it was fun.

MtRider

I'm not sure about the fine. We're in GA. 8 months was a long time. The guys from the college kept going to checkon them and see. Theyre the ones who finally gave us the go ahead.We actually had to build bat houses and install under the new bridge. That project was just jinxed from the beginning.

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:
So is that $500 fine a local, state, or national sort of thing? 8 mos is a long delay. Bats are live birth aren't they? Wonder why long?

Probably had to wait through the gestational period as well. As for it taking that long for baby bats to fly, I just have to comment that children are live birth as well...

Archived