MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Tongue

When we picked up our pig from the locker we had them give us the tongue as well. Now I need to know how to cook it.. The Amish boy that I ordered the pig from said it was his favorite part of the pig and that he and his siblings fought over the tip of it. Anyone know?

I've always boiled beef tongue. Water to cover, salt and pepper, onion quartered, bay leaf, splash of wine vinegar; and if wanted for flavor, a celery rib cut in chunks, and a cut up peeled carrot. We used a pressure cooker

It is not like liver at all. Beef tongue is a very tender cut of meat when prepared as I mentioned. The tip is definitely more tender than the back portion. The back portion slices very nicely when cool for sandwiches. We ate it both hot with regular dinner stuff, like potatoes and vegs and a salad, and had left over the next day for a cold plate or for sandwiches as I said before. Different textures for the tip and the back portion but both very good. I guess it is a mind thing. I was shown very early that it was good, so no problem. However, You cannot make me eat kidneys, or most any other organ meat as it mentally grosses me out -- although once I ate beef heart the South American way at a party with this really neat tasting yellow sauce for the skewered grilled meat. I did not know what I was eating, till they told me--and I almost 'lost it' -- so much for what the mind tells you.... but it was good eating at the time.

Here's a story from my long ago past...My best friend never brought lunches to school. I usually shared my bag lunch with her, except when I brought tongue sandwiches. If I told her it was tongue, she would go without. If I never said a thing, she always said that it was the best sliced beef sandwich (with mayo) that she ever ate. ...if I wanted to gross her out then I'd tell her she just ate beef tongue (ok, I know I was bad, I was in high school!!!). She never 'lost it' though. Mostly I wanted to eat it myself, so I would usually tell her what it was and leave it up to her.

I guess this would be a "for what it's worth" thing.

Deer hunting ended today and I got one without hunting, one was hit by a car almost in front of our place and I was able to get it. In dressing it I saved the heart and fixted it, first time that I known of, and it wasn't to bad but I wouldn't touch liver, long story behind that.

We always thu the tongue, liver and heart in the pudding meat which you turn into scrapple. I don't know if there is a difference if the tongue meat, but I do know there is definititely a difference in the liver of the two (pork & beef) I love beef liver and won't touch pork (except in scrapple).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived