MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Roadkill for breakfast

Skagitgal, so did you eat the bookcase? feedme What about the deer? Waste not, want not.

I recall my uncle hitting a deer once and field dressing it on the side of the road. Lash it too the roof and continue on where you were headed.

Sadly no. Most deer/antelope we hit are so mangled and full of {humm, blood & innerds] that they are not edible. Hitting an animal with a truck is different than with a car. eek 9 times out of 10; with a car, a person can stomp on the brakes and swerve to avoid a direct hit. You do neither with a truck. Braking is possible; but not skidding. And you do not swerve. Hitting an animal full on is preferable to swerving and loosing control. This is one of the hardest 'instinctive actions' to unlearn when trucking. We find most of our animals 4 miles from home, and along Route 212 in Montana. Affectionally known as 'antelope alley', the deer & antelope come to the side of the road to eat the only green grass available. What little rain sluffs off the road, greens the borrow pits. It's a real nightmare at night. We have airplane landing lights on the truck to illume the roadway. The bookcase was not tasty either. Came around a corner at night, meeting a car, and there it was. Looked like it has slid out of a pickup, standing upright in the roadway, waiting for books. There again, only in matters of life and death do you swerve. A bookcase is worth no ones life. I wish I could convey how dangerous roads are. We see cars parked so close to the fog lines; that the draft from a passing truck will pull items out the open windows. It is SSSSOOOOO scary to be responsible for that much machinery in motion. And it is our responsibility, all of it. We drive for you, us, and whomever we are meeting on the road. Kids driving with text phones scare me the most. Well, this turned into a book. I will save you a hunk of bookcase; it's ok with ketchup...better with steak sauce!! LOL.

Originally Posted By: Skagitgal
Sadly no. Most deer/antelope we hit are so mangled and full of {humm, blood & innerds] that they are not edible. Hitting an animal with a truck is different than with a car. eek 9 times out of 10; with a car, a person can stomp on the brakes and swerve to avoid a direct hit. You do neither with a truck. Braking is possible; but not skidding. And you do not swerve. Hitting an animal full on is preferable to swerving and loosing control. This is one of the hardest 'instinctive actions' to unlearn when trucking. We find most of our animals 4 miles from home, and along Route 212 in Montana. Affectionally known as 'antelope alley', the deer & antelope come to the side of the road to eat the only green grass available. What little rain sluffs off the road, greens the borrow pits. It's a real nightmare at night. We have airplane landing lights on the truck to illume the roadway. The bookcase was not tasty either. Came around a corner at night, meeting a car, and there it was. Looked like it has slid out of a pickup, standing upright in the roadway, waiting for books. There again, only in matters of life and death do you swerve. A bookcase is worth no ones life. I wish I could convey how dangerous roads are. We see cars parked so close to the fog lines; that the draft from a passing truck will pull items out the open windows. It is SSSSOOOOO scary to be responsible for that much machinery in motion. And it is our responsibility, all of it. We drive for you, us, and whomever we are meeting on the road. Kids driving with text phones scare me the most. Well, this turned into a book. I will save you a hunk of bookcase; it's ok with ketchup...better with steak sauce!! LOL.

thanks
a good eye opener for when on the road.
Michael1

Skagit, if you're driving an 18 wheeler, then yeah, there ain't gonna be much left of whatever you hit, 'cept the bloodstain on the highway. (or in the case of the bookcase, the splinters!)

I whacked bambi once in my Chevy pickup. $4000 in damages to the truck, and per the deputy sheriff who dragged the mangled remains off the road, not enough to glean 2# of hamburger off of! I had asked if there was any meat to salvage, as I had my skinning knife with me at the time... And that was only a pickup truck!

The first deer we hit cost over 11,ooo.oo $ in damages. This was due to the style of truck we have. A T2000 KW, has a fiberglass bumper [worth nothing as protection]. We hit a 200+lb. 5 point buck. The deputy was sobbing, when he came to the scene. This was a local legend many had been guning for. The buck jumped off a bank right into the hood, air to air radiator, accessory drive pully & belt, air conditioner, and &4000.00 worth of fiberglass and paint. We are red...takes the stems of some far eastern crocus to get the red we use. WHO KNEW!!!!!! The crazy paint is 800.00 a gallon. {That almost caused a DH heart attack]..that would have been another gob of money!!!! cry So now we have a huge Canadian moose bumper on the front of 'ole red. So, not much survives a direct 'smack attack'. We have a taxidermy friend that cries each time we hit a deer. He makes mighty tasty jerky.; claims it's all roadkill. With this guy..you can never be certain! sick

I was driving my bug home from work, it was right before dusk and the mountain road wound around so I wasn't driving very fast... shifting up and down.. well if you have driven a bug you understand.

All of a sudden the back of the bug got hit and moved over a bit on the road. I had to stop cause I thought maybe I blew a tire.

My back bumper had a tuft of deer fur on it and it moved the bumper out a couple of on the drivers side and in on the other side.

that darn deer did a hit and run!

(I tried looking for it to see if it was injured but it was long gone. I would have shot it to put it out if its misery and figured out a way to get it home.. it is illegal to do anything but leave it.. which I can't do to an injured animal.. that is cruel! and well.. why let good meat go to waste)

Originally Posted By: Amishway Homesteaders
Originally Posted By: westbrook

see I KNEW it was out there. . . . somewhere?
how did you beat westbrook to posting it?
Michael1

I am sick!

so sorry to hear you is sick cough

WOW!
just how many quote boxes can we do anyway? shrug
Originally Posted By: westbrook

see I KNEW it was out there. . . . somewhere?
how did you beat westbrook to posting it?
Michael1

I am sick!

so sorry to hear you is sick cough

WOW!
just how many quote boxes can we do anyway? shrug

MORE THEN this many I guess? Michael1

you have me saying I am sick so many times I sound like I am whinning!

I am almost over this.. just so tired.

Archived