MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Avocados

SueC

now Sue, ya gotta give the green fruit a chance... come to America... sip Margaritas, eat chips dipped in a spicy avacado sauce! ok, your husband can come too.

I really love avocados. Tonight we had taco soup and I bought an avocado ($1.50!!!!) to cut up and serve in the soup. Yummy.

A quick and easy thing to do with avocado is to mash a ripe avocado and add some garlic salt. Then spread the mashed avocado on a round tortilla chip. Cover with a bit of fresh tomato, then add a bit of cheese. Place under the broiler just until the cheese is melted. Really good.

Truthfully, though, I like avocados in, on, or with just about anything. Have to admit I've never considered it in ice cream, though.

hummmm don't like eating them? how about...

Avocado Face Mask - homemade avocado face mask recipe

Masks have an deep cleansing action on the skin, removing impurities, wastes and dead skin cells. Face masks are good for a variety of reasons. They can tighten your pores, remove excess oil from the skin, or moisturize and replenish dry skin.

Homemade Avocado Face Mask Recipe

Ingredients for stage1

1/4 cup cucumber, peel and chopped

1/4 cup avocado flesh

3 tablespoons finely powdered oats (for mild peeling)

3 tablespoons of water

1 tablespoon lemon juice (squeezed from lemon)

1 teaspoon honey

Ingredients for stage2

8-9 tablespoons clay

Few drops of essential oils (optional)

Method for making the avocado face mask at home:

Avocado Face Mask Recipe

Stage 1:

Puree the cucumber and avocado flesh in a food processor until it is smooth with the water and lemon juice Then add all the other ingredients in Stage 1.

Stage 2:

Pour out the mix from the blender into a bowl and then whisk in the clay. Apply to clean face and neck and leave on for 20 - 30 minutes. Rinse off with warm water then use a toner and moisturiser.

This Avocado facemask is very good for mature and dehydrated or dry skin. The cucumber has a natural moisturising effect and it smells like a fresh vegetable salad.

Use this homemade avocado face mask 1 - 2 times a week.

Avocado & Honey Face Mask (For dry skin)

2 tablespoons of avocado

2 tablespoons honey

1 egg yolk

Mash up the avocado, add the honey and egg. Mix it all together. Apply to face.

Finally the most important recipe for our skin - drink lots of water, exercise, eat loads of fruit and veg, don't smoke, get plenty of sleep, always wear sunscreen, and oh yeah - try not to stress!

Actually much to DH's horror, I dont like many tropical fruits,

Avocados, mangos, custard apples, monsterios, pawpaw, rockmelon. I'll pass on all of those. But I do occasionally buy them for him!

yeah Pogo, I get the impression Sue isn't too fond of avacados either.

and not sure what a custard apple, monsterio, or rockmelon is.

Commonly called a monsterio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monstera_deliciosa

Custard Apple:

http://www.custardapple.com.au/info.php

rockmelon:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/rockmelon

I grew up in New Zealand, and the most exotic fruit available when I was a kid, was a banana, and if you were lucky tinned pineapple. So my tastes are more for apples, peaches, nectarines, pears, rhubarb, raspberries, blackberries, gooseberries, kiwifruit and of course many of them are expensive here frown

But thats ok, because if we all liked the same foods it might be a boring existence!

• 2 years later...

I did not know you could freeze avocado puree! The next time they are on sale, I'm going to try freezing some in ice cube tray, so I can have a bit of avocado without having to peel (and often waste the leftover part of) a whole fruit.

We like them here too....right now (Jan) in S.Ont they are .79. Good for you too. I like it with just a bit of salt and pepper.

Archived