MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Avocados

SueC

It's pretty clear *we* can't, Sue...

"The standard canning process, which ordinarily allows food and its nutritional quality to be preserved safely and economically, cannot be used with the avocado due to its high natural oil content and the presence of the polyphenoloxidaze enzyme."

http://www.scientistlive.com/16066/avocado...irst-time.thtml

~~~~~~

The Science Show

Broadcast Saturday 28/06/2003

Life Changing Science Part 4

Food Preserving Technologies

(Good info about avocados & why WE can’t can them…)

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/science/ss/stories/s890966.htm

~~~~~~

But the good news is... you can *freeze* the puree! clap

FREEZING AVOCADOS

Never freeze a whole or cut avocado, but avocado puree

may be frozen. Even though there are many recipes that call

for cooking avocados, the peak flavor and texture can only

be found in the raw fruit.

http://web1.msue.msu.edu/imp/mod01/01600687.html

Avocados

Preparation

Select avocados that yield to gentle pressure with rinds free from dark blemishes. Peel fruit, cut in half and remove pit.

Avocados are best frozen as purée -- unsweetened for salads and sandwiches, sweetened for other uses. Avocados are not satisfactorily frozen whole or sliced. For a better quality product, add 1/4 teaspoon (750 mg) ascorbic acid to each quart of purée or add 1 tablespoon lemon juice for each 2 avocados.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FY720

bighug

Mmmm avocados ... one of my favorite foods. Unfortunately, usually too expensive here. My grandmother used to have an avocado tree in her yard in California. When we would visit I thought that had to be the best thing in the world to have in your backyard.

"How To Dry Foods" by Deanna DeLong says 'not recommended for drying'.

sick

Avocados are revolting!

I was trying to work out how to preserve them for DH. He has them on toast, bread, instead of butter cheese etc. But NEVER will I cook with them. And in icecream - I dont think so!

guacamole sauce!!!! make it up, puree it and freeze it. It is the only way to preserve avacados.

no sue you can't cook them. They can't be dryed ... canned? well, not really because as a guacamole sauce it is too thick for what we can do. But freeze? yes!

take out of freezer and thaw in refigerator.

Avacado Ice Cream is actually quite good, avacados are a fruit.

But they are avocados!!!! As long as he cooks them and eats them ok, but I refuse to touch them unless they are whole and staying that way. ughhh ... revolting

Sue, please have you husband send me the recipes for cooked avacados. The only way I have eaten them cooked was in an omlette.

I love avacados and they are so cheap here... $0.25 each.

oh peeled, sliced and fanned out on a bed of lettuce filled with those tiny bay shrimp in a little cocktail sauce.

(note; put more canned bay shrimp on shopping list for storage.. makes a right mighty fine addition to those wild crafted salad fixin's)

Originally Posted By: westbrook
Sue, please have you husband send me the recipes for cooked avacados. The only way I have eaten them cooked was in an omlette.

I love avacados and they are so cheap here... $0.25 each.

Can I send hubby to live with you? He would live off of avocados but they are 99cents on sale but usually run any where from 1.49 to 1.99 each.

WARNING---if hubby heads that way so do I and the boys (I have two boys that love avocados also

avacados are grown not far from me, the beach weather is perfect for them. I can't grow them up in the mountains because of the freeze.

because they are semi-grown locally the stores carry them pretty much year round. the non-in season price is $0.79 each.

I grew up with an avacado tree in the yard... back in them old days.. ya ate what ya could grow. No way to not like something.

Ok the way he likes to cook avocados:

slice of bread, spread with avocado, cover with slices of cooked chicken, sprinkle cheese across the top and put under the grill

He pretty well does many variations of this, avocado, ham, tomato and cheese

In fact any savoury grill style. He just uses it like butter only thicker.

I have also seen it done with chicken, avocado and white sauce, sprinkled with cheese. I will see if I can get some more recipes from my friend who grows them.

Sounds yummy! grin I like guacamole. I also like sliced avocado on sandwiches. In restaurants (burger joints), I've had a chicken breast on a bun, with bacon, cheese & avocado. Mmmmm... a good one for the arteries, huh?

Course the fat in avocados isn't so bad as the fat in animal products.

I love Avocados and so does DH. Its a good thing we don't have a tree because I would weigh 500lb instead of 150. I make a dip out of them give them a whirl in food processor til smooth add some salt- pepper- garlic powder-onion powder to taste and a little lemon juice and its so good. Also can add a little tomatoes if you have them. They are between .65 to 1.00 here a piece depends on time of year.

Archived