MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Anzac Wednesday

SueC

Hi everyone

It is Anzac day here today, a day when we remember the fallen soldiers from the Australia and New Zealand Armed Corp. The day is from the day our men landed in Gallipoli and fought a hard battle, the battle was lost, but the Aussie mateship and courage was recognised. So a public holiday as we remember all soldiers who have died in service.

DH started at 4.28am for the dawn service, then DD was in the school band so involved in the march and service. After lunch I had a sleep! I really was tired.

Then we went to our friends for tea, so a nice evening was had. back to studies again tomorrow,

Take care

Good morning Everyone.

It looks to be a hot sunyy day today, with the possibility of storms for tomorrow.

Sue, sounds like you had a very full day.

Today, me and a quilting friend will be delivering 2 lg quilts to Ronald McDonald House, and 10 crib quilts to Children's Hospital. We (along with 8 other ladies) completed these quilts as a sewing project for "Operation In As Much", this past Sat.

Take care everyone.

Well last night WAS entertaining...being in the Grassy Knoll with 3 monkeys for 90min past their bedtimes...That last gust front that came through was a bit spooky. Hopefully we did not lose any shingles. It sure rattled the doors though. Children in PJ's don't really enjoy running outside in the downpour to get into shelter.

Today is dawning partly cloudy, so maybe I can see if there was any roof damage. At least it shouldn't be storming again until Friday.

Vic I was wondering about you when they said there were tornadoes in TX. I'm from Hereford, so I have vivid memories of hiding in closets and running to gramma's storm cellar.

Glad you're OK!

Our end of that storm was worse than predicted, we weren't supposed to getmuch but we got lots of rain and some snow. Nothing major but I hate being caught unprepared. We REALLY had to go to the store yesterday so we had to go out in it.

Today is cleaning. Supposed to be low 50s.

Mo7

GoodMorningsparklepinkhat.gif everyone. smile

Sue, your Anzac Day is like our Memorial Day in the States.

MomM that was very nice of you all to make those quilts, I don't know if anyone around here does anything like that.

Vic, I was wondering how you came out down there, I know our DD is in that area too and we were talking for a bit in the afternoon when it started making a lot of noise.

Today the sun is shining and the temp here right now is 37º and our high is to be 65º today.

I did get some of the things done yesterday that I wanted to and today I need to do a load of laundry and then see what else I want to or can do. smile

You all take care and HAVEANICEDAYSUN.gifth6dee1705-2.gif

I've been gone all morning so just checking in before the Culligan man gets here and then I take off again for the afternoon.

Sounds like you had a good day Sue and I do hope this finds you busy, dry and warm!

See you tomorrow.... bighug

Do you make anything special like Anzac Biscuits for the holiday ?

Hi all. It sounds like everyone is busy. SueC hope your celebrating was great. It's always so nice to hear people supporting programs like the Ronald McDonald house. It's just awesome that you took the time to make quilts. Glad everyone in the storms came through ok. I'm so far out of it, I didn't even know there were storms frown

I'm actually sitting in the Las Vegas airport looking at the Strip waiting for my plane to leave. I have a couple more hours to wait. I've been out here for a week for a seminar.

An announcement was just made... "Would the gentleman who just lost $5000.00 wrapped with a yellow rubber band please report to..." Can you believe that... every man, woman, and child will be running down the hall smile

Well since I have a lot of time, which is unusual these days, I'm going to catch up on my reading in the forums. Hope everyone has a great evening and in some cases that would be morning.

Hi Leah,

I didn't have time to bake Anzac biscuits! They are a family favourite, so they are often in the cupboard anyway. I find them a good healthy biscuit that is so easy to make and most kids like eating them.

But for anyone that wants to try them

ANZAC Biscuits

Ingredients

1 cup plain flour

1 cup rolled oats (regular oatmeal) uncooked

1 cup desiccated coconut

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup butter

2 tbsp golden syrup (or honey)

1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

2 tbsp boiling water

Method

Combine the flour (sifted), oats, coconut and sugar in a bowl.

Melt the butter and Golden Syrup (or honey) in a saucepan over a low heat..

Mix the bicarbonate of soda with the water and add to the butter and Golden Syrup.

Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and mix well.

Spoon dollops of mixture, about the size of a walnut shell, onto a greased tin leaving as much space again between dollops to allow for spreading.

Bake in a moderate oven, 180C / 350F, for 15-20 minutes.

Cool on a wire rack and seal in airtight containers.

Tips

The American tablespoon is a little smaller than the British tablespoon, so be generous with your Golden Syrup (or Honey) and Water.

For a little variety you may wish to add 2 teaspoons of ginger spice.

Archived