MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Mystery death in Michigan

Cat

Bacterial meningitis did not kill teen

THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION

Thursday, May 03, 2007

By Shantell M. Kirkendoll

GENESEE COUNTY - A Grand Blanc teenager was not the victim of bacterial meningitis, according to test results announced late Wednesday, but his cause of death remains a mystery.

The findings may ease the fears of a community that was alerted to look for signs of the contagious disease that can spread quickly among adolescents.

"We've ruled out a communicable disease, but we have not confirmed his cause of death," said Susan Hudson, supervisor of the communicable disease department at the Genesee County Health Department.

Christopher Acre, 14, died Friday after going home sick from school with a sore throat just two days earlier. Funeral services for Christopher, a member of the school's junior varsity lacrosse team, were held Wednesday.

"Some specialized tests can take several weeks," Hudson said of the projected wait to know more answers.

School Superintendent Michael Newton could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

On Monday, school officials said an East Middle School student was diagnosed with the less serious viral meningitis, but school and health officials said it was not related to Christopher's death.

Grand Blanc parents have said their children have suffered bouts of colds and flu lately that come on strong and zap energy for days.

"I still have this feeling that something is going around," said JoAnn Antaya, who has an 11-year-old at Woodland Park Academy in Grand Blanc Township.

Her son was sick last week, and her doctor urged her to take him to the emergency room April 24. While there he got IV fluids and antibiotics that eased the boy's severe headache, sore throat and 104-degree fever, she said.

He was diagnosed with a severe case of strep throat. It took three days for him to feel like himself again, she said.

Dr. Gary Johnson, medical director of the county Health Department, continues to recommend people adhere to routine ways of reducing the spread of disease, such as hand washing and good hygiene.

Any unusual or severe symptoms should be discussed with a physician, he said.

Flint, MI news

All these unexplained illnesses get scarrier and scarrier. I wonder if we'll ever hear what he had.

(I thought I posted this before but can't find it, so if it shows up here or somewhere else, don't be too surprised!) smile

Won't know what killed that kid for a while. Hope the answer can give some peace of mind to the family, and others in that area.

My family is in Flint which is on the northern border of Grand Blanc. I've been watching this on the news for a couple weeks now hoping to hear that it isn't contagious. About a month ago, another Flint high school had a case of meningitis also. Pretty scary.

sofaThere is too much that is not being said. They tell everything about a war over seas but what we need to know about what is going on here is being hid. rantokay i stop but this is spookily spooksum sofa

Archived