MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pantry/kitchen moths

Ok, how do I get rid of these stupid things? They're way smarter than I am.

I put traps out; they just keep coming. I put all my grains in jars with screw top lids; they lay their eggs under the ridges and the larvae crawl right in. I put stuff in the freezer to kill the eggs; they come in through the kitchen window screens (I kid you not - I've actually seen it) and re-infest everything.

What do I do???

keep your screens sprayed with bug spray. As long as it doesn't rain, some bug sprays last 8-12 weeks.

the only way to get rid of them is to do what you are doing, keeping everything in air tight containers and in the freezer or refrigerator... at least until you get all the cupboards fumigated.

If you have someplace to go for a day or two... fog every room in the house.

Winter is coming and windows will be closed.. perhaps that will let you get a handle on things.

Bay leaves? They're supposed to repel moths. Jars with no lip to store the grains in...

Before next season you need to get smaller meshed screens!

Lavendar also works. I made little bags of it and put it in the back of my cabinets. The only way to keep them down for real is to freeze everything that comes into the house before you store it...letting it all get back to room temp of course, so the containers don't condense moisture.

as a child I remember my Grandmother putting pennyroyal, mints, bay leaves and other kitchen herbs and spices on the shelves. When the leaves dried out, she would run her hand over them... rolling them left and right a couple of times to activate the oils left in the leaves.

This would help repel the bugs but not get rid of them. Then ... NO Bugs-M-Lady shelf paper came out... do they still make that or similar? hummmmm.

this is the wrong place to put this.. but.. store bug spray! it is about off the shelves at the stores to be replaced with Christmas stuff.

Not to be discouraging, but it takes a while to get rid of an infestation of grain moths. The pherenome traps do the best job, but you may need to put fresh ones out a few times before you win out. In the meantime, keep doing what you are doing, you will win!! I was so badly infested at one time, that I was vacuuming the little worms off of the ceiling several times a day. I found an open box of cereal buried in the pantry was the breeding ground. ANY open grain product can do the same. Good luck.

I hate these things! I have some traps, but there are only a few in them...I am so fed up...I have to clean all the cabinets AGAIN!

I even find them in bags that have never been opened! I know the eggs are already there, but good grief...These stupid things love Kentucky!

Can we use the DE in all of our dry foods or is it gonna cut our guts up too? Where would one get it?

I had these little buggers many times, until I put everything in tupperware or glass. You really don't need to spray anything. I owned a heathfood store and I fought them a lot there.

Main thing is temperature, if a product get hot enough the eggs hatch. I have seen them eat their way out of a box that was not opened many times. Throw out every possible product and put everything in plastic or glass vacum and clean the shelves.

You do not need poison--------

There was a Diatomaceous Earth thread here a while back. Here 'tis...

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthr...true#Post137632

BTW, do NOT use "swimming pool" grade Diatomaceous Earth (as sold for use in swimming pool filters). I get mine from the local farmer's supply place. Maybe you could ask your local feed dealer to order it, if they don't already stock it...Just make sure it is cleared as a "grain protectant", or otherwise approved as a protectant against insect infestation, or something along those lines.

Google Diatomaceous Earth for other supply options...

I'll cut and paste my post in that thread here... This way is perfect if you don't have freezer space to pre-treat all your goods...

I hope this helps. It has worked for me, for many years. No bugs. Once upon a time, I used to be overrun with the little critters...

I have used diatomaceous earth for over 25 years. I love it!!! The stuff is the natural answer to almost every kind of pest that creeps or crawls in my home, yard, and farm (when I had a farm). Here's how I use it...

...FOR PANTRY BUGS

If your pantry has a chronic problem with weevils and other pantry bugs, you might want to try diatomaceous earth to kill the little grocery-eaters. It is cheap and nontoxic. Just don't breathe it, or else you could get a form of silicosis (serious, permanent lung problem).

My favorite cure for chronic pantry pestitis is food grade diatomaceous earth. Some of you may know what this is and how to use it. Those who don't: please stay away from swimming pool grade diatomaceous earth! Chemical processes used in refining make it dangerous to use for non-swimming pool applications.

After you follow standard guidelines for pantry cleaning, you can use this stuff for a non-toxic way to control all kinds of insects. When used lightly, this dust will not affect the taste or texture of the your food. It will kill (death by dehydration) most insect eggs, larvae and adults that come into contact with it.

There are several grades of diatomaceous earth on the market. For this purpose use only the Food Grade, which is approved by the FDA for use as a protection against insect infestation in grain and other foods for human use.

(If you have a problem with roaches, sprinkle borax or boric acid along baseboards, other places where roaches are seen (not on food). For ants, make a bait with sugar, water, borax or boric acid to make a thin paste.)

Here's what I usually do with most of the dry foodstuff going into my storage / rotation plan. Open boxes of food. Sprinkle a light dusting of diatomaceous earth on top of the foodstuff, shake the box to encourage the dust to settle. Sprinkle another light dusting of d.e. Tape box shut. Then put into plastic bags. I like to use thin cheap plastic trash bags, double-bagged (for extra insurance) with a good dusting of d.e. in each bag. If any bugs manage to get out of the d.e. dusted food alive with the notion to start chewing through the first plastic trash bag, they would certainly die before they get through the last barrier bag. Groceries that are sold in tougher packaging (thick plastic bags, etc) get the same treatment, only I don't open them before storing in the double-bagged setup. So, you see a method to my madness? LOL!

Since I never know what foodstuffs may be harboring unseen bug eggs, almost all dry food going through my storage / rotation plan gets this treatment. It works. As an extra bonus, I am healthy as a good horse, my hair is shiny and my nails are strong and I'm guaranteed worm-free too. If you don't know what I am talking about here, do a googlesearch for food grade diatomaceous earth. The stuff is good for 2 legged and four legged critters, but deadly to many pests that bother them.

--Sharon

P.S. I guess I might as well admit that IF the insect infestation is not too bad and if food is not actually spoiled, I would never consider throwing away perfectly good food, just because it has a little extra protein. If there is a squeamish factor, just sprinkle a coarser grade of your usual seasonings into the dish as it cooks (to camoflage the bugginess). Or in the case of cereals, serve with finely chopped nuts, etc. Imagination may increase with the need at hand, and whether or not you're in a survival mode. However, because dead insects deteriorate really fast, food with a heavy infestation should be tossed out.

BTW, the FDA has cleared the stuff to be used IN, and AROUND food.

Bay Leaves, Cedar Blocks, and Wormwood. I have these three things everywhere and it seems to be working. I also double seal worm prone things in ziploc bags and I put a handful of bay leaves in each bag. Things like rice and beans I put the bay leaves in direct contact with. Good luck!

Hi CPS!

What amount do you consider a light dusting of DE? How would you do cake mixes etc...Open the inner bag, sprinkle the stuff in, tape shut, rebag? Would this work for spaghetti or macaroni type products? I am so sick of these dang moths. I don't think they are actually getting into my foodstuffs...They are already there...Just eggs that hatch...Of course these buggers spread. They just love Kentucky! Could the DE be sprinkled on cabinet shelves, to contain what may be in there...LOOSE!?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Archived