MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Goodwill/canning jars

anna

Yesterday I called the local Goodwill to ask if they had canning jars. They "thought" so but didn't offer to check. I inquired as to their price and it was $5 per dozen!!!!! I didn't think before I spoke and said "you've got to be kidding". No that was correct. I said that it would be less expensive to buy new because for a couple $'s more you would get rings and lids and the jars would be clean and unchipped. Then the lady kindly agreed with me that buying new would probably be better.

I've pretty much quit shopping at Goodwill. Their clothing prices are way way too high and it takes so much time to go through racks and racks of trash to find one or two possibly decent items. Better to buy new at end of season sales because prices are lower!

Does anyone have a Goodwill that's not !@#^&$*!!?

Around here Goodwill has a 50% off Saturday once a month. And since they've been doing it regularly, I've noticed the prices have gone up.

Maybe they figure it's worth it. shrug But I HATE going on those days because of the confusion and hassle on my Saturday.

But the closest Salvation Army store has been worse on prices. I stopped checking there, because their prices were so close to *new-on-sale* that it wasn't worth it. frown

Our local thrift store is the same. They are the only one left in town...I noticed a price increase when the other one moved. I get my jars from garages sales and freecycle (every 2 months I send out an email asking if anyone needs to get rid of jars and I get a response everytime. Sometimes it's just a few jars, but several times it's been a garbage bag or boxes full).

Stacy

I'll try the make an offer approach next time I'm in there.

I should join freecycle but there's not one for my town so I'd have to joint in the city where I work which I guess would be okay.

In the past I've usually been able to pick up jars at estate auctions, but there haven't been many this summer and I've only been able to get to one of those.

Do you have a Big Lots near you? 1/2 pint jelly jars are $4.49 w/rings & lids and pint jars are $4.99 w/rings and lids (case of 12). The brand is American Harvest on the box but the lids inside were Kerr. They also carry quarts but I didn't buy any of those. WalMart should also start marking down their canning supplies soon. You might also try the smaller thrift stores - we have a thrift store run by the Catholic Church that is great for bargains. There is also one run by Hospice. I also stay away from the Goodwill & Salvation Army stores. It's cheaper to just buy stuff new & on clearance at Target than to shop those stores!

We have a thrift store chain that charges 69c for quart jars. Yup, that would be $8.28 per dozen, and no lids or rings, either. rollingeyes

I finally found a nice church-based thrift store that sells their jars for 25c each, any size ($3/dozen). I go there.

Salvation Army closed their thrift store and sent all their stuff to Goodwill ... Goodwill is the only game in town and their prices reflect that. Big Lots here closed. Dollar General in one of the smaller towns has Golden Harvest so I'll check their store after church next week. They were very late getting their supplies in so hopefully will still have a good supply when they mark down. I'll watch Walmart.

Archived