MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Jellies

Pixie

I made tea jelly!!

It is awesome!

here is the recipe I used.

"Any flavored tea can be transformed into a simple and delicious jelly by using the basic tea jelly recipe below. No other added flavoring is needed for the Red Zinger jelly, but some teas do require a touch of juice. Use your imagination or read the ingredients on the box of tea for a hint, usually the title of the tea will guide you as to what kind of juice to add, for example Lemon Zinger or Peach Mango. Half the fun of jelly making is coming up with your own concoctions. I’ve even made jelly out of Kool-Aid that kids love. In the recipe below, I’ve included 1/4 cup fruit juice. If not including juice and using a tea infusion as your only liquid, increase the amount of water to 2 cups.

Basic Tea Jelly

1 3/4 cup water

12 regular tea bags

1/4 cup orange juice or related juice

3 cups sugar

1 3 oz. package liquid pectin

Bring water to boil, add tea bags and steep for 30 mins. Discard tea bags and add juice, sugar to brewed tea and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 min. stirring. Remove from heat and add pectin, return to boil and allow to do so for 1 min. Skim off any foam. Pour hot jelly into jars and process for 20 min. Makes 6 pints.

This jelly is a modern twist to an old tradition, and will keep tea a family favorite, even when it’s spread on toast rather than sipped from a cup. Enjoy! "

i just used 2 cups of tea and added no juice.

I have made plain green tea jelly, and ginger-peach green tea.

here are some pictures. (i hope they are not too big!)

IMG_0857.jpg

this one is garlic jelly. No lables yet as it didnt set and I am undecided as to wether i will reprocess it into jelly, or if i will leave it as is and sell it as marinade!

IMG_0865.jpg

My husband was skeptical. He said who would eat tea jelly? I said "they make green tea ice cream, so why not jelly?" Once he tried it he was quite impressed. laugh

Cool! Heavy tea drinkers in this house! I definitely see a "Constant Comment" and a "Lemon Chamomile" in our future! How fun with to serve with a batch of warm from the oven scones! Thanks for the recipe!

I just bought some ecinacia-elderberry-cranberry rooibos tea. I have not even tried it yet!

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg

I've not heard of making tea jelly either, but I just may try making some too. Would make nice gifts any time, not just for Christmas. smile

I do wonder if you could use the Sure Jel instead fo the liquid as I don't usually buy any of the liguid pectin. Of course I could get some of the liquid for trying this recipe out. smile

THANKSFORSHARING1.gif this with us. smile

HUGS3-2.gifHAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gif

On this link for Stash teas, you will find some tea jelly recipes. When it says 2 ounces of pectin, that is the dried pectin. You can tell by the order in which they are added. Dry petin is added and brought to a boil before sugar is added.

With liquid pectin, the sugar is added first, then the liquid pectin is added at the end and cooked.

Note, this is not USDA methods for sealing jams. They need to be put into regular canning jars with 2 piece lids and processed in a boiling water bath for 10 min.

This is just one of the recipes on this site.

http://www.stashtea.com/recipes.htm

PEACH TEA JELLY

INGREDIENTS:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 oz of Peach Loose Tea Blend (about 28 tea bags)

2 cups of water

3 cups of sugar

1/2 cup white grape juice

1/2 cup Peach juice / drink

2 oz pectin

Directions:

Boil 2 oz of tea in the 2 cups water. Bring to a boil then remove from heat. Let stand for 5 min. Remove tea bags or strain loose tea leaves out if needed. Place tea in a preserving pan or suitable saucepan. Add the juices and pectin. Boil hard for 1 minute. Add the sugar and stir well. Boil mixture hard 1 minute more. Remove from heat.

Test for setting - it should make a soft jelly, not a thick jam. Do this by placing a teaspoonful of the hot mixture on a saucer. Leave it to cool: the surface should wrinkle when pushed with a finger. If it is still runny, return the pan to the heat and continue boiling and testing until the jelly sets.

Ladle the jelly into sterilized glass jars and seal with waxed paper circles and cellophane lids secured with rubber bands. Decorate the tops of the jars with circles of fabric held in place with lengths of ribbon.

Originally Posted By: Violet
.Ladle the jelly into sterilized glass jars and seal with waxed paper circles and cellophane lids secured with rubber bands. Decorate the tops of the jars with circles of fabric held in place with lengths of ribbon.

this is fine if you want to eat it right away, I sell my jellies so I have to make sure everything is tickety poo! sterile and sealed. smile

also, your recipe looks like it would make more. I like prefer not to add juice to my jelly, I like the flavour of tea.

FOr powdered pectin, I like to mix it in with the sugar and add it all at once, then boil it hard for 2 minutes. I mainly use liquid pectin, but the last 3 batches of jelly didnt set. frown

Oh yeah, and just a side note....When I pickled the garlic and It was on the table cooling, my 2 year old thought they were fish. She wanted to play with the fish. lol

Archived