MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Big storm headed our way

dogmom4

STRONG & GUSTY SOUTHERLY WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP OVER THE

NORTHERN & CNTL SACRAMENTO VALLEY THIS EVENING.& PERSIST

INTO SUN MORNING. WIDESPREAD SOUTHERLY WINDS OF 20 TO 30 MPH

ARE LIKELY TONIGHT & SUN MORNING WITH WIND GUSTS FROM 50 TO

60 MPH POSSIBLE.THESE STRONG & GUSTY WINDS MAY CAUSE ADDITIONAL DAMAGE TO TREES AND STRUCTURES ALREADY WEAKENED BY EARLIER WIND STORMS THIS WINTER. PEOPLE SHOULD ALSO MAKE

SURE THEY PREPARE FOR POSSIBLE POWER OUTAGES.

We have a big storm headed our way so today is being spent catching up laundry, dishes, preparing some foods ahead of time just in case we lose power. I also pulled out this little butane stove I bought last year and never tested out. oops I plan to try it out just in case...I don't think it's supposed to be a cold storm but the ability to heat up some hot chocolate or hot foods is important. It's interesting how people are treating this storm differently than the one that rolled through here a few weeks ago. The local paper had an article in Thursday telling people to be prepared ahead of time..last night Safeway was packed with people...that usually happens on Sunday night around here. Also noticed that people were buying batteries and flashlights and firewood at the hardware store. My biggest concern is the very large maple tree in our backyard. The ground is very saturated..if this tree fell on the house it would do major damage.

Well, back to getting ready.Wish me luck and hope I don't blow myself up when I try out the butane stove... grin

here is mine

Saturday 2/23/2008

Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 40s to mid 50s. Southwest winds 15 to 25 mph this afternoon with gusts to around 35 mph.

Rain developing overnight. Lows in the upper 30s to mid 40s. South to southwest winds 30 to 45 mph with gusts to around 70 mph.

Sunday 2/24/2008

Showers likely. Highs in the upper 40s to mid 50s. South to southwest winds 25 to 40 mph with gusts to around 60 mph... Decreasing to 15 to 25 mph by late afternoon. Chance of rain 70 percent.

Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers in the evening. Lows in the lower to mid 30s. Southwest winds 15 to 25 mph with higher gusts.

Monday 2/25/2008 through Friday 2/29/2008

Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 50s to lower 60s.

Mostly clear. Lows in the 30s. Highs in the 60s to lower 70s.

though the report last night was snow tonight down to 5000' and we may still get snow.. nothing like what Dogmom is going to get. I sure hope it stays up there! Though gusting winds of 70MPH will drop one of my pine trees.. last time it took out my garage and two cars.

STockton/Modesto area here. We lost a tree in the last storm a few weeks ago, hoping nothing else happens in this one. Today wasn't nearly as bad as forcasted although tomorrow we're in for some heavier winds. Take care all!

tapping foot and looking at watch......you're late checking in here dogmom!

(((Stacy)))

Glad you and yours are fine! laugh

MtRider [such a year we're having for troubling storms...or the potential of them! ]

PS: How's your butane stove? Didya try it?

Originally Posted By: Mt_Rider
tapping foot and looking at watch......you're late checking in here dogmom!
Sorry so late... blush

MtRider [such a year we're having for troubling storms...or the potential of them! ]
It has been a bad year for our area. I've been in this area since 1978 and I used to be able to say I could count on one hand the power outages/major storms we had. Now, since January we've had 2 big storms and 4 power outages. frown

ummm...no. But, it is out of the box and sitting on the table. No excuses tho. I just realized I wasn't going to need it and just didn't get around to trying it out. busted

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg

Glad you are all ok.

See, here we are use to it being cold and all, but, I know you aren't. smile We just get the -20º and wind chill of -40º sometimes. It has been colder this winter than it has in 7 years. No wonder I've been so cold this winter. Also, it has been more humid outside. Sure makes a big difference.

HUGS3-2.gifHAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gif

Quote:

ummm...no. But, it is out of the box and sitting on the table. No excuses tho. I just realized I wasn't going to need it and just didn't get around to trying it out. busted

MtRider puts arm around Dogmom's shoulders. That's ok. I haven't purged my water filter in preparation of actually using it if :shtf: either. busted

MtRider [procrastination....or is it - EVERYthing's a priority!!!!.... shrug ]

To all of you Ca. people unused to all that rain and snow; we brought it down from Wa. state, just to keep you entertained.

We rolled on through, bringing the storms down as far as Tehachapi, where we cut across to Az.

Heh, we brought cold weather to Yuma also.

We have thought about renting ourselves out to the state of Ca. as rain makers!!

Archived