MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cheap dehydrators

Screaming Eagle

I ran across a cheap dehydrator in a Salvation Army store the other day. I know nothing (I mean nothing) about dehydrators so I'd like to ask your opinions about this one.

It's got plastic stackable sections (maybe 5 or 6?) with a heating element that it rests on. Each section is about the size of a small plate (maybe 6-8 inches across). Looks like it is new (still in plastic wrapping) and has probably never been used (at least from what I could tell). They want $10 for it but I might even be able to haggle them down from there.

Is it worth the effort?

The dehydrator that I use most has temperature settings. I have another one from a garage sale which has only an off/on switch....which I don't think is as good. But, even if yours only has the on/off switch, you will probably be getting your money's worth.

Oh, and another thing.....I like the American Harvester better, also, because it has a fan which circulates the hot air around. The "on/off model" doesn't. You might check to see if that one blows the air around inside....which would be good.

That sounds TINY!!

Mine are about 12-15 inches in diameter, with the middle 3-4 inches open for air circulation. I have two of the Ronco brand that have no fan. And then I got one with a fan; it is FAR superior.

With the size mine are, and 5 trays per heater, I can only dry ... maybe 6 or 7 sliced apples on each unit (so 20 apples-10 lbs- if I run all three). What you describe sounds very much smaller. Based on that, I'd say no.

Ronco are not recommended for use by folks in the extension offices. In order to safely dry foods before they can spoil, you need one with a good fan, heat source, adjustable thermostat. Having an opaque one, compared to the clear ones also helps retain nutrients.

Especially if you want to make jerky, buy a good one.

The American Harvest is a good one for the money. There are better, but if you need to pay less, I would get the American Harvest. Just my 2 cents worth.

Look thru the dehydrators on this site:

http://www.epinions.com/specialty_kitchen_...ng_~dehydrators

Epinions is a good resource to use when you don't know much about an item. It will also give you a good idea of prices, all without leaving the comfort of your computer chair.

I own this mode: http://dehydrators.livingright.com/item1...fgnla3n7sav7tc0

It is 5 years old and I bought it for much less than the price listed! The working parts are tough and it has survived 2 moves and much knocking around. A crack in the bottom is held together with duct tape and it just keeps on going. I've even dried bacon in the poor thing.

Originally Posted By: Centexan
Oh, and another thing.....I like the American Harvester better, also, because it has a fan which circulates the hot air around. The "on/off model" doesn't. You might check to see if that one blows the air around inside....which would be good.

+1 to that! I have a Nesco dehydrator by American Harvest...and I love this workhorse! I picked it over all the others after reading a bunch of great reviews about it at Amazon.com

To me, it's the best buy for the money (paid less than $50 two years ago). I almost bought the pricy Excalibur, but I'm not sorry I didn't!

I also bought a bunch of trays and flexible tray liners for dehydrating messy stuff like fruit leathers, spaghetti sauce, etc.

Some of my friends call me the Dehydrator Queen. I've even experimented with dehydrating thin sliced deli ham, when I ran out of stuff in the house to dehydrate on a snowed-in weekend!!! That's not very queenlike...'tis more the work of a junkie, f'sure!

Yes, Amazon is another great site to use to research things.

PCS, I thought you had to move the trays around with the round dehydrators? Or does the fan make it unnecesary? I did my research five years ago or so, and remember that is why I didn't get a round one with stackable trays.

PCS, did the thinly sliced ham dehydrate nicely and is it good? I think I would try some. Love my Gardenmaster and will be drying kiwi today. (50% off on it so I bought a lot.)

Peppers were also on for 50% off, so I'll be making pepper jelly too ummmmm sooooo good!!!!!

Screaming Eagle,

I have two of the cheapo dehydrators, both without fans. Come July, I'll have them both running nonstop. I do have to rotate the trays, but they are definitely worth what I paid for them. (One is a Ronco I bought at Goodwill for $4.00, the other is almost 25 years old and I bought it new for $20.00) They have been fine for our needs - mainly herbs, tomatoes, and fruits, but I have made jerky many times in them without a problem. Hope this helps.

Andrea

• 4 months later...
Originally Posted By: PureCajunSunshine
With the Nesco dehydrator by American Harvest, there is no need to rotate the trays. The built-in fan blows air evenly through all the trays via the center hole. Everything dries evenly. Lotsa temperature settings, too.

I have this one, got it at Wally World. I love mine. I immediately sent away for a two-pack of additional trays and 6 plastic screens, so my stuff doesn't fall through when it dries tiny.

I do rotate the tray a couple times during drying, although they say you don't have to. With six trays going, I think the ones closer to the heat source dry a tad faster.

Archived