MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Fall Get Together

Darlene

well here is a turtle soup recipe!

Green Turtle Soup

One turtle, two onions, a bunch of sweet herbs, juice of one lemon, five quarts of water.

After removing the entrails, cut up the coarser parts of the turtle meat and bones. Add four quarts of water, and stew four hours with the herbs, onions, pepper and salt. Stew very slowly; do not let it cease boiling during this time. At the end of four hours strain the soup, and add the finer parts of the turtle and the green fat, which has been simmered one hour in two quarts of water. Thicken with brown flour; return to the soup-pot, and simmer gently for an hour longer. If there are eggs in the turtle, boil them in a separate vessel for four hours, and throw into the soup before taking up.If not, put in force meat balls; then the juice of the lemon; beat up at once and pour out. Some cooks add the finer meat before straining, boiling all together five hours; then strain, thicken and put in the green fat, cut into lumps an inch long. This makes a handsomer soup than if the meat is left in.

Force meat balls for the above.- Six tablespoonfuls of turtle meat chopped very fine. Rub to a paste, with the yolk of two hard-boiled eggs, a tablespoonful of butter, and , if convenient, a little oyster liquor. Season with cayenne, mace, half a teaspoonful of white sugar and a pinch of salt. Bind all with a well beaten egg; shape into small balls; dip in egg, then powdered crackers; fry in butter, and drop into the soup when it is served. Circa - 1879.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: the turtle soup thread, I had a friend who caught a snapper in Iowa...he kept stealing the bluegill off her boat line. She reeled him in and made no bones about chopping off the head and feet, prying the shell apart and then making soup.

She kept the shell and I borrowed it one of the years I was teaching 3rd grade. One little girl literally turned white, then a light green at the thought that ANYONE, particularly a GROWN-UP would kill an animal as cute, adorable, and helpful as a turtle - but for eating...that was too much. She almost threw up in class until I put it away...Now last I heard, this child is now in middle school and wants to be a vet. smile

Personally, I've heard turtle soup is quite the delicacy...I might actually enjoy it if I could get by the color.

Years ago my my husband and I would go to New Orleans to a certain place to eat to turtle soup. They would serve it with a small pitcher of sherry to add to the soup, it was wonderful!!!

But never occurred to me what kind of turtle it was???? Until now!!

This turtle thing has taken on a life of it's own.. [censored] thing prob has a PC and is packing his bags before the party starts...

Ya kno, as for killing and dressing out things, some folks just ain't into it...others don't mind it at all, when a young man goes on his first hunt, how the whole things is handled will mark how he handles it the rest of his life..

I'm not one to make it a he man or wimp adventure, the smell isn't pleasent, and one shouldn't make fun of somebody who can't handle it at first , it's an acquired thing..to this day I take no pleasure in it but do it because if I'm willing to kill the animal I should have enough respect for it to do a good job of caring for the meat.

I have friends who just live for hunting season and seem to relish the kill.... for me it's something that needs doing as a part of life ( hard to explain )if your going to hunt your own meat, I take no pleasure in it..nor do I hunt for the biggest horns, and I don't hang heads in my home...It's about feeding your family or somebody who needs the meat but can't hunt for whatever reason...

I'd be happy to have a sit down talk with anybody who want to learn about it from the shot to the frying pan....

What I really came in here for was to find out who it was that offered to have some dutch oven cooking classes???? I'd really like to attend those!! smile

Well Trip, I want the turtle gone and I'll keep shooting at him till I hit him...lol

He's interrupting my needs in that pond by eating fish that I need to grow incase I need the food. As far as I'm concerned, it's a predator, and while I don't find joy in shooting it, I do find satisfaction.

Westie's doing the dutch oven class...she may not have known that but she does now.

darlene

I am sitting on the porch!

dutch oven cooking isn't hard... just knowing how many coals on top to maintain temperature.

could make a dump cake I guess! pretty safe cause I am less apt to put in onions, green beans and cabbage!

Trip.. killing isn't fun! it is a necessary part of survival! a deer is just like a goat.

My kids started butchering on their 10th birthday. I figured by then they had played with the ax when I wasn't looking and still had all their fingers!

I don't think about butchering as killing.. I go out, grab a chicken or goat that is on death row .. where I put them in pens, exercised and fed and made ready to be butchered. these aren't my pets, these aren't cute little things.. they are food! it is a mind set!

youngins that want to hunt have already been exposed to all of this, they have a different mind set then city folks.

trying to shoot a turtle is gonna be a hoot! shooting a goat or hog or steer or butchering poultry is serious!

Ya'll are nuts.

If ya wanna shoot the turtle, then fine...shoot the turtle....but, *I* wouldn't clean it and eat it. sick Turtles are dirty.

When I catch a turtle, he/she goes in a tub/garbage can/whatever that it can't get out of with some water (a few inches) for a couple of weeks to a couple of months. The water gets changed when it's *dirty*. This is cleaning the turtle out.

Now, when it's time to butcher the turtle (which is when I've usually had enough of the stupid thing--the last one I had for a couple of months and the darn thing managed to escape the garbage can after a thunderstorm cuz I had it under a gutter that ran over and it went to the neighbor's yard and his dog was barking at it. I don't like the neighbor (DBF's cousin) and I don't like his chicken killin' dog and have told him to keep HIS dog in HIS yard and now here's MY dumb turtle in HIS yard....so I go over and stomp my foot on the turtles back and pick him up by his tail and holler at DBF (who's cousin happens to be over and they're talkin' in the garage)...I holler "RICHARD (that's dbf)--get the gun!! This PITA turtle left the yard and it's gettin' SHOT!!" grin (Cousin makes sure his dog doesn't come in my yard anymore.)

So, he got the .22 and shot it in the head. That's the way *he* slaughters a turtle. His way of thinkin': 'If it involves shootin' somethin', it can't be a chore.' rofl Then I butcher it, cook it and so on.

He does the same with chickens....in the head with the .22. Said he never realized how much a chicken bobs it's head around. rollingeyes

Anywho.....I ain't cleaning or eating NO turtle that ain't had a chance to clean itself out. frown

This is getting way to complicated..I'm gonna put a 308 hollow point thru the front between the top and bottom shell which will"clean" it out [censored] well!!...and then we can watch it sink!...we can name it Titanic..!!! cool!

Turtle soup sound like a PITA ! I'll settle for some campbell tommytoe soup and chrispy grilled cheese sannys!..now ther's some good grub...and now cuttin of throats or guttin...

YO WORMY!! was it you who said you'd put on the dutch oven cooking class??? seems to me I remember that....if not sorry!...

After the sentence is carried out on the beast of the pond, I'm gonna retreat to the porch and keep Westy outta trouble... wonder..does ice tea go good with Jim beam??...

Westy we gonna have us a good time..watchin all these folks runnin around like heads with their chickens cut off...

Mother's tryin to wimp out..we need to start a gang up on her and Mister Mother...

Now Tripster's got a plan!! Blow the thing into a bazillion little bits and let 'er sink! FISH FOOD! Make up for all the fishies it ate. grin

Turtle soup is not a PITA. I already got it canned up. grin Heat 'n' eat. feedme

Seems if JD is good in lemonade, Jimmy B ought to be ok with iced tea. shrug Not fond of bourbon anyhow....the smell gives me shivers. sick Long story. I'll stick with my Kahlua and cream....and chocolates. grin

Originally Posted By: Darlene
Not to worry BisMak, there's more than one.

Trip can stand sentry.

Trip can sit sentry, I stood it enuff in my life...from the porch...

Originally Posted By: Trip

oh cool! another Princess in Training!
Originally Posted By: westbrook

oh cool! another Princess in Training!

UH Westy..wouldn't that be "prince"? and I'm beyond training..so lets just leave it there.... grin
I'm busy getting the pasture and pond area cleaned and some of the property bushhogged...

I figure I'll throw Trip pondside and let him contemplate the deeper things about snapping turtles. He can commune with the bull frog and rest of frogs that can serenade him at night. Maybe the snakes will do a little dance to their croaking for him...

I've got lots to do to get everything ready here. I bought 2 rundown places that are coming along but I am a princess and want everything perfect.

We will need to start talking about the details that you mentioned MomM, and like westie said, perhaps we can get some carpools going so that the costs are defrayed. If anyone likes to horseback ride, we could take a group up into the mountains. It's not for the faint of heart though...lol

DarleneSwoon

I'm excited!

Down by the pond away from all the oooing and ahhhing and hussle and bussle is where I belong..in the shade of my awning..beam and coke in one hand rifle in the other...turtle huntin..ahhh life is good!!

An entire week of nothing to do but just being..watching the princess hoeing in the garden...offering a bit of advice from time to time...like ..uh you missed a weed over there on the left babe..ahh...good girl..

yepper...gonna be fun...

heck I could get used to that!!
rofl

An entire week of nothing to do but just being..watching the princess hoeing in the garden...offering a bit of advice from time to time...like ..uh you missed a weed over there on the left babe..ahh...good girl..

yepper...gonna be fun...

rofl

You're delusional because you know in your heart that would never work with me.

On the other hand, I'm a very good delgator and I will keep your limitations in mind as I assign you to your various tasks.

yepper...gonna be fun...

rofl

You're delusional because you know in your heart that would never work with me.

On the other hand, I'm a very good delgator and I will keep your limitations in mind as I assign you to your various tasks.

Darlin, my only limitations are in your mind!! grin hard work don't bother me at all, I can sit right next to it all day and never break a sweat..whats for dinner babe??? no onions please... rofl

prince princess... got carried away on the keyboard! so used to typing princess! but trip you are always gonna be a prince to us!

While Don and Carla (Emery) were doing their seminars around the country, they'd heard of a very unique and useful tree that might be very helpful to those who have a bit of space. The paperwork I came across in her files was printed off in 2004. The info didn't make it into her EoCL 10th edition, but I'd bet it would have made it in to the next! The tree is called a Paulownia, also known as a Dragontree. They grow very fast! Benefits and uses can be found here: http://www.dragontrees.com/dragonbe.html

There’s a plantation in the southern part of Georgia…just a thought: if there is still room in your event schedule, perhaps a rep would be willing to come up to give a seminar. Their website: http://www.paulowniatrees.com/

Since the trees do grow so quickly, it might be of an interest to some of your attenders.

Originally Posted By: westbrook
prince princess... got carried away on the keyboard! so used to typing princess! but trip you are always gonna be a prince to us!

Awwww Westy, love ya babe.. so looking forward to meetin you!!...gonna have fun!

Archived