MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Placemats

Yes...

place mats are simple to make.

use 100% cotton fabric as it holds up wash after wash..

use 100% cotton batting like for quilts.

one layer of cotton fabric, one layer of batting and another layer of cotton fabric on top.

If you have a serger use a wide stitch... if you only have a sewing machine, use bias tape to bind the edges.

placemats can be any shape and at least large enough to place a plate, silverware and a cup. Shamrock for St. Patrick's day, Heart for Valentines day, flower or egg or bunny shape for Easter, Turkey for T-day, ghostly for Halloween and Santa or tree shape for Christmas... as a few ideas besides square, round or oval.

Once the 3 fabics are together; fabric pretty side face down - batting - fabric pretty side face up.. run a few stitches through the fabric to 'quilt' the fabric together. Using bias tape (purchased or made form same fabric), bind the edges. If you would rather you can use a satin stitch (narrow zig zag) on the edge to mimic a serged edge. If you are using a serger try using "Jeans Stitch" as it is a heavy 100% cotton thread that will hold up nicely.

To make matching napkins.. use a rolled hemming foot or ask me and I will give directions on how to do with out...

I love your ideas Westie! sewing

I got another email from her......

My friend, is trying to come with some ideas for about 200 for the schools award banquets.

200!!! Why aren't they just using table cloths? rollingeyes

I love the ideas on the placemats though...keep them coming!

bighug

Placemats can be made of paper, to be thrown away. Especially when you're talking about this many.

Have the K-3 or 4 grades decorate or draw a picture on plain light-colored construction paper. (The schools can get it cheaper, and might even donate it.) The pictures will keep everyone chuckling throughout the meal. happy02

Have a "theme", like sports, or school, or seasons, or just do as they like. Be sure they know they're contributing to a special dinner for the "big kids"! wink

The "big kids" will be reminded of their own early school days, and the adults will be touched.

bighug

Grubby...

with a serger you can whip out 200 in a day or two! It would be better to purchase already quilted fabric though it is rather expensive for 200.

Here is what I would do - Purchase enough quilted fabric to make square placemats, it comes in lots of colors so try to pick a color that is the same as the school color... preferably a light color but if not enough pick all the colors of the school.

Photo copy the school mascot or logo or ????, go to wal-mart in the stationary section.. usually high up on a rack is the T-shirt transfer paper... one box for light color fabric the other for dark color fabric.

Make the logo small enough that you can get many, many to a sheet of paper.. cut them and iron them on.

If it is a Class of XX then put that on it too.

If the fabric is already quilted she can serge the edges or do a zig zag around the edges (sewing machine satin stitch). If using a serger.. serge on and off each edge.. leave the thread tail on and put a dap of "Fray Block" on each tail.. let dry for a few hours or over night is best.. then cut off the thread tail off.

Many fabric stores has 40-50% off coupons and I would certainly use them to purchase the fabric.

If the fabric is 42 inches wide then you can get 3 across at 14" from top to bottom. Then you will need to determine how long you want them. There is no set standard.. usually placemats are large enough to fit a plate, silverware and napkin. Larger ones will handle a glass or cup.

at 18" x 14" (finished size using a serger will be 17-3/4 x 13-3/4) you can get 6 out of a yard.

33-1/3 yards for 200! if the fabric is $4.00 a yard = ~$140.00!

(I used 34 yards and rounded the $ up)

But.. they would be classy!

might be cheaper to purchase the placemats and then do a iron on to them.

Archived