MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Mason Jar Alert!

shoppingcart I was in the big Wal-Mart in Murphreesboro TN yesterday and they were just beginning to put out canning stuff. cheer I snapped up 2 flats each of pint and quart jars and 2 extra boxes of lids/bands. I remembered that when I went looking for them in June of last year, all but a flat or two were gone, so I'm stocking up as I can.

So here's a 'heads up' if you buy your jars at Wal-Mart. canning

aaaahhh, I wonder if that is why I didn't see anything when I was at Wal-Mart on Sunday, they just have not put anything out yet...

Do they keep the canning supplies next to the kitchen aisles? Just trying to have my plan of attack organized so I'm efficient, I feel like I'm a woman on a mission with the clock ticking (and I want to get my stuff before the sheeple wake up)

Thank you!

I stopped at a Super Walmart today on the way to Sams, they're about 1000 ft apart, got plenty of lids, but was walking by the meat and Perdue whole chicken was .82 a pound, most of the chickens was about 5-6 pounds so i got 20 of them, it off sets the cost of the 30 that i bought for 1.19 at the Grand U.

I also got a 25lb bag of True Value sugar there for 10.28..

up at Sams, i picked up another 25lb bag of Domino sugar for 10.39,

also WM was getting 2.19 for 80% G beef and Sams had it marked down to 1.74 a lb. It's amazing how the 2 places owned by the same people juggle the prices..

I found the Mason jars, lids and bands at both Wal-Marts in their 'Seasonal' aisle: with sun tea jars, plastic ice cream makers and snow cone kits and beach towels for kids.

I'm sure stores vary, but both in Murphreesboro and Winchester, that's were they were. Good selection, too (for now).

I can tell you that by mid-summer, what boxes of jars they had left were on a shelf in the garden department on sale. I visited with Darlene last summer at the end of July and all were gone by then.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been adding to our supplies for several years but always am on the lookout for lids-they will be the hardest item to replace. Had a lady to give me a great supply of jars last month-methinks she is just not aware of the pending need for them. If anyone is nearby just PM and will share jars. We have quite a few. wc

ETA, save every type of jar you can find. Build up your supply of wax also. In a pinch you can merely pour a 1/2 inch of molten wax onto the surface of jellies/jams and seal them just fine. Save that wax for future uses-it does not go bad. wc

Archived