MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Fasten Your Seatbelts... I Bought A Canner

Jules

I hope my learning curve is faster with canning than with beans... rofl

I really did buy a canner, couldn't find the Ball Book but I got a set of tools, lids and rings but not the jars yet. There were plenty so I'll be back soon for the jars.

It's time to put chili to the test. whistling

Bought my blue book at wallyworld the other day for a little bit under $6

So, Jules do sit down and tell us all about that shiny, new canner ya got! banana

I'm tickled there is someone else with the same experience as me, none rofl

And what did you end up doing with the beans?

I'm excited, I had been looking around locally for a canner and not having much success. Last night I was doing some after work grocery shopping around midnight when I swung by all the canning supplies. I thought of everyone here and that sense of urgency flaired up again as I noticed there was only ONE canner sitting on the shelf. Plenty of jars and lids. No Ball book in sight... I wonder if it's in the book section?? I will go back and look today.

I wish we had a Lehman's here, I'm not sure there is one in Utardia at all.

No canners at Kohl's. Too bad Sam's doesn't carry them either.

Anywho, I wish I had more selection for comparison but I bet this wont be my only canner I ever own.. whistling

It is a shiney new Presto 16 quart Pressure Canner. It's only aluminum, not stainless steel. I can use it for boiling water canning and the box says I can use it for pressure cooking as well. Is that adviseable? Or should I just keep it dedicated to canning?

Do your canners get all ucky with hard water deposits? I have really hard water here. No matter, white vinegar will help take care of the cleaning.

Impulsively I grabbed a set of tools, I have more than enough kitchen gadgets to play with as it is but it includes the grabbers and a nifty dual purpose tool that stirs out air plus helps guage head space. See? I been reading and paying attention! LOL

I will definately go and look for the Ball book, and I believe I have a book around here titled 'Blue Ribbon Preserves' ... what's the author.. lemme check and see if it's handy...

Yes: the auther is Linda J. Amendt.

And for those who wondered about the pot of chili... oh my gosh let me say that last night (friday night) was the First lunch or dinner we cooked since monday... we ate it all. I guess I saved some significant money not cooking all week... *laffin* but we were very uncomfortable and last night at the store I bought ALL of Wally's big boxes of Beano... rofl

I could have frozen it, and even given some to my sister but everytime I turned around more was gone from the pot so I just left it alone. It disappeared finally Thursday night.

I'll make another big batch of chili on purpose this time and see if I can can it all. grin

Congrats on your Presto, it will serve you well for many, many years! You can use it for water bath canning, pressure cooking, whatever you'd like. Maximize the potential it has and don't worry about it.

As far as the hard water deposits, if you put some vinegar into the water in your canner before you process your foods, it will help those water deposits to not accumulate beforehand.

I would have assumed the Ball book would have been by the canning supplies, but definitely look in their book section. In the meantime, the National Center for Home Food Preservation is the 'bible' of home canning. You can always read up here to learn how to can properly and safely and it won't cost you a dime.:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_home.html

I saved the link and I'll be reading up quite a bit.

I did look all around all the canning supplies (for the ball book) as I figured that would be the place to stock it but none in sight.

*Oohhmmmmmmmmmmm.... BE the canner.... OHHMMMMmmmmm....*

Oh yeah Jules!!!! I just got the same canner the other day too! I'm so excited about it. I'd bought a water bath canner not too long ago (as a stockpot too). I just went and bought the pressure canner b/c I felt that same sense of urgency you mentioned. I also found a water bath canner at a nearby closeout store for 6.50!!!! And it has its own rack! Oh my gosh what a find. I can't wait to start canning. I think I'm going to hit up the grocery store for some of the bags of frozen veggies to start with. Maybe a big pot of chili to can isn't a bad thought either though. I bought the Ball Blue book at our Walmart for $5 something. Got the set of tools too and I've been buying cases of jars and lids. Ready to go now. canningcheer

Go Jules!

I bought rubber rings for my collection of old canning jars today. I keep eyeing the water bath canner and jars a really nice lady with back problems gave me, but haven't taken the plunge yet.

Ripping up the best grass I have to make a veggie garden when I've never grown food before? No problem. Do some canning? SCAREY! even though nothing else with cooking scares me. DarleneSwoon

Keep posting of your adventures please? I'd love to hear about them.

Last night I was so exhausted, we had a dual birthday party for the kids plus had family over but it was like my feet had a mind of their own so I found myself in the kitchen opening the box and reading the instructions.

I unpacked it, washed the pot, lid, rack, and ring. Put the air vent/cover lock thingy back on, put the over pressure plug back on, and played with the pressure regulator until it made perfect sense.

I poured a quart of water in it, locked it and did a test run and it works like a charm. I am going to try something today, I don't know what yet. I could can a snowball and be happy right now. rofl

I'll let ya know how it goes. winkcanning

Archived