MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

my strawberry jelly didnt gel!

I made strawberry jelly today- but it may end up syrup frown

I made it this morning - it is cool- but still not 'set' runny- about like strup. Any ideas? What did I do wrong???

I hate it I have 4 pints and 7 1/2 pints -So any ideas of what else I can do with this -we dont eat THAT many pancakes! LOL

BTW- I did score a water bath canner at a yard sale for $3

Sometimes, jelly just doesn't set up. I always figured I didn't time the boil period correctly, mis-measured the sugar or something. Never tried to re-do a batch, though.

Well, I did a search and am finding some of my own answers -I decied to post here incase anyone else was interested.

First of all- I did a double batch

I just read this "Jam can ONLY be made in rather small batches - about 6 cups at a time - like the directions on the pectin say, DO NOT increase the recipes or the jam won't "set" (jell, thicken). (WHY? Alton Brown on the Food Channel says pectin can overcook easily and lose its thickening properties. It is easier and faster to get an even heat distribution in smaller batches. "

HERE

I also like the idea on this page of using the sugar -free pecton with less sugar -these I made (with 14 cups of sugar) are good but REALLLLLY sweet.

I guess at worst case seniro we will have something super sweet to munch on (or slurp on) if the SHTF and we are down to beans and rice. wiggle

I swear by Pamona's Universal Pectin--have never had it fail. (and there's no corn syrup in it!!)

Unfortunatly, I have had this happen more than once. When my jelly or jam does not jel, I just use the fridge to finish the process. I put a jar in to chill at least a day before I open it, and it is usually fine.

If that does not work, I recommend ice cream topping. You could also try making strawberry milk shakes with it. yumyum

Evergreen have you thought about useing it as a layer between to cakes instead of icing if its not to running and maybe a little soft set that would work. Then ice cake with maybe a cream cheese frosting. Or How about a chocolate cake with jam center and chocolate frosting. Its worth a thought.

Archived