MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Houston, we have a problem....

At least I think we do...here's what happened. Yesterday, I was trying to can up some older pinto beans before they got so hard you couldn't cook the darn things. I got them all pre-cooked and started the pressure cooker. Right before it got up to pressure...I heard a hiss and a loud thump noise. So I shut the burner off and let the pressure off, opened the lid and everything seemed okay. Until I unloaded the jars and dumped the water out.

The bottom of my Mirro 21 quart pressure canner now has a big bow up in the middle of it!! ???? I have heard of that happening when it runs out of water inside and overheats. This is a newer stove and I have had no problems with the burners over heating or anything...yet lol.

Is there anything I can do to save this canner or am I going to have to save pennies and get another one? Is it even usable anymore? I'm just sick over this one... shrugawwman

Q

Mine ran out of water one time, just as I was ready to turn it off. It is slightly warped, but I still use it and it does fine. Hope your's will be usable.

Quilty, I have a 16 quart presto that you are welcome to have if you want it. I don't a have a gasket for it. Let me know, I could meet you half way if you want. Been thinking about asking to meet you over a cup of coffee anyway.

wormie

John

Quilty, how old is this canner ? Normally they are worthless when they warp. I am so sorry !

I hope you get it figured out. I have only heard of them doing it when they boil dry, not other than that.

What a kind gesture from Wormguy !

Quilty~ My DH set my (dry and empty) canner on the stove without noticing that one of the burners was on. UGH! It's a Mirro and it was brand new and warped really bad. He took a block of wood (I think it was part of a 2x4) put that on the bottom of the canner and then hammered on the wood until the warp came out. Hope that helps.

Originally Posted By: Darlene
Oh geez Quiltys, I'm so sorry...do what westie said and call them and pitch a fit.

I called them today. They wont even take a look at it without the sales slip. mad I tried cannning in it today and it just wont get up to pressure at all. Had DH look at it and he's thinking there isn't much to do with it and just looks at me like I am making his life miserable with my problems. Azz. sassing So, Worm I may have to take you up on that offer if I can get the DH to see his way clear to drive me. But he has to fix the well first since we took a lightening strike last night and it zapped the pump and the breakers and possibly the meter base too. I swear when it rains it pours. Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions, I knew I could count on yall. bighug

Q

Call back & ask for a supervisor. INSIST you will not tell them what's going on without speaking to a supervisor again. If they hang up, call back. Get thru & climb the ladder! Sales slip or not, they issued the store a faulty product. And we all know their name is embossed on the canners!!!

Oh, Quilty, I am so sorry. They should stand behind their product ! I have never in my 35 years of canning heard of one doing that unless it boiled dry, or as the other person said, put on a hot burner.

I do hope you get them to deal fairly with you.

Quilty, tell me where to bring it and I will deliver it to you. You have enough problems without having to worry about the driving to get it.

bighug

wormie

John

Archived