MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Food and meat chopper

dogmom4

I picked one of these up for $8. It looks similar to this but is model 1551.

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-model-fo...5835&sr=1-2

It didn't have any booklet and I can't find any info on it online. I suspect it's fairly old because of the box it came in but it's in pretty decent shape.

I have 2 questions: What can this be used for? Only meats? Or veggies maybe?

And it has a small amount of rust on one of the small circular thingies you put inside. How do I get the rust off so I can still use it safely for food?

It seems like a pretty good buy but I just need to know what to do with it...

My grandmother had one of those. The only thing I ever remember her making was ham salad. I think they call it sandwich spread now because there isn't really any ham in it.

She would grind:

bologna

sweet pickles

boiled eggs

onion

Then stir mix in mayo. Spread on bread for a sandwich.

While I don't have that model, I love my meat grinder. I buy chuck roasts when they're on sale and grind them into hamburger. Top of the line hamburger for at least 50% less the cost. I make my own sausages (breakfast, italian, kielbasa, etc) and save tons of money with that.

I don't know how much you're into these types of things, but you could have a field day with your little find.

I've had mine as long as I've been married, over thirty years.

Back in the day (as my kids would say) before food processors (can you imagine????) I'd use mine to (among other things) grind up leftover ham and some onion and pickles. Stir in some mayo and you get yummy ham spread. I'd let the boys turn the handle. They thought it was fun!

Edited to add: My Mom used to grind ring bologna to make a spread, just like Jeepers said. grin

Originally Posted By: Darlene
While I don't have that model, I love my meat grinder. I buy chuck roasts when they're on sale and grind them into hamburger. Top of the line hamburger for at least 50% less the cost. I make my own sausages (breakfast, italian, kielbasa, etc) and save tons of money with that.
I don't know how much you're into these types of things, but you could have a field day with your little find.

I've never used one before but I'd like to know everything it could be used for. I am interested in grinding my own meat but haven't done it before. Do you grind it raw or cooked?

raw makes ground meat you can use to make sausage, hamburger, or what ever you use ground meat for...

cooked as mentioned above.

raw vegetables to make relishes!

Oh man. I had one that was my Granma's and when I left my husband I left it behind. It disappeared (along with a lot of other things) when he returned the things I had left behind.

Anything worth any money at all, had pretty much been sold.

Archived