MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Sigh...

MommyofSeven

My beautiful oldest daughter is 16...

I had her when I was 19; we've both done a lot of growing up together, and been through so much together.

She's halfway through a stint working at the Boy Scout Camp that is about an hour away from here. She hasn't been home in three weeks now.

She called last night to let me know she's coming home this weekend. They get about 24 hours off in between scout weeks. She's telling me about how last weekend they took a friend to Pizza Hut for her birthday and they all got food poisoning and so on and so forth...

She's having all of these life experiences without either parent being "around". I'm so not ready for her to be a grown up.

I can let go...

I can let go...

I can let go...

Mo7

I know, I know.

We raise them to be strong, independant, self reliant, thinking for themselves adults who can stand on their own two feet and what do they do when we aren't looking? What we taught them to do.

bighug

Thanks, ladies, that helped-and brought tears to my eyes! I so love this child. I mean, I so love them all, there's just something different to how I feel about her. Not more, but different.

And, geez, how DARE she go and do what I taught her to do! rofl Jeepers, that was absolutely perfect.

so, Becca Anne, how do we do it? How do we let them go?

Mo7

Originally Posted By: MommyofSeven
How do we let them go?

with a smile of pride on your face
a prayer for their safety sent up to God
and tears of sorrow in your heart

bighug

I've got two out of the nest, ages 27 and 22, and one to go (but not for about 10 years- he's only *8* DarleneSwoon )

GOODMORNINGDOGONSWING.gif

I so agree, with a smile and lots of prayers.

Our two oldest are in TX and the youngest is in ND.

Remember, sometimes they come home again too. smile

Once they are all out of the nest, you will be sad for a while, but, after a year or two, you will be making a new life for just the two of you. smile

HUGS4-1.gifHAVEAGOODDAY-2.gif

Oh..boy can I relate...My dd who is also 16 just yesterday traveled alone across the entire country, changed planes, and went to Spokane, Washington for a discus throws camp. The airlines only check on kids 11 and under, all others are considered "adult." She did fine, though. She called me from Las Vegas and sent me pics on her cellphone of herself eating a giant burrito, one of the oxygen bars at the airport, and another of the cute guy she sat next to on the plane who was headed off to army boot camp and who had been a high school discus thrower..LOL

LunaMother, your post made me teary, too...

My ma says we don't let go and we don't stop worrying about the kiddos even when we are old and gray and they are headed that way themselves.

MommyofSeven...you did well. She sounds like she is involved in worthwhile things--PLUS she wanted to come home to visit you!!!

Originally Posted By: MommyofSeven
My beautiful oldest daughter is 16...

I had her when I was 19; we've both done a lot of growing up together, and been through so much together.

She's halfway through a stint working at the Boy Scout Camp that is about an hour away from here. She hasn't been home in three weeks now.

She called last night to let me know she's coming home this weekend. They get about 24 hours off in between scout weeks. She's telling me about how last weekend they took a friend to Pizza Hut for her birthday and they all got food poisoning and so on and so forth...

She's having all of these life experiences without either parent being "around". I'm so not ready for her to be a grown up.

I can let go...
I can let go...
I can let go...

Mo7

How dare these little yard apes and rug rats grow up behind our backs and become productive "adults" it is just not allowed I tell you it is not fair. Personally I don't think they should be allowed to date before they are 30 much less let loose in society before we as mothers are ready rofl

FYI my 20 yr was reading over my shoulder and just rolled his eyes and said yeah right

(((((mo7))))) it is never easy but they do make us proud.

Ah, just so ya' know...it isn't any easier when they are 30 either lol! One of mine and his family was here only for a few days for a visit, but duh me cried like a baby when they left...just like I did when he left the first time!

But the good news is I didn't cry as long as the first time. The leaving each other does get easier with time, even though it doesn't seem like it now. bighug

Q

Archived