MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Diet for Autistic children ?

They think my 2 yr. old DGS is slightly autistic, he will be tested by a professional on Sept. 8. There is something about a glutton free diet and other ways to change what they eat that can help. Does anyone know anything about this? hanks. Kelly

I do GFCF for a living. PM me and I'll gladly give you a copy of my work.

Regardless of what the testing shows, you should consider trialing him on a GFCF diet to see what the extent of his reaction is. Some people don't test positive, but have leaps and bounds improvement on the diet. My daughter falls into that category. She's normal as long as she's on the diet. One exposure to dairy or gluten, and all of her symptoms return.

Try watching this video series. (6 videos) I have a pediatrician friend that is in my Weston Price group, and she is having phenomenal success with it.

The author is Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride and she wrote Gut and Psychology. Many people in my group joined because their children were autistic, and have reported that their children have improved by leaps and bounds. Some are even in "normal" classrooms. (whatever that means)

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=natasha+mcbride&emb=0#

It probably would help with ADD/ADHD kids too. I know I changed my sons diet when he was two to less processed, less artificial flavorings, chemicals and very few times a year would I give him fresh made spaghetti/ravioli sauces.... I need to actually go to the link.... but I am sure it would help autistic and ADHD/ADD kids probably!

Sounds like you have success Percysgirl!

diet is so important for many conditions!

Good luck to anyone facing such dilemmas.

You absolutely should consider a corn-free, gluten-free diet! Some years back, I wrote an article about this and interviewed a woman whose son was able to attend school after going on this diet. Prior to that, his autism was so profound, they thought he would never progress. His behavior was so dramatically different that doctors actually had to video the contrast to be sure it was real. The videos showed the child behaving normally and then was given food containing corn and wheat. Within half an hour, he reverted to his own world and was unreachable.

I'm allergic to corn and I notice that if I am exposed to it inadvertently, my mood changes horribly and I become very irritable. I have to avoid this at all cost because my family can tell immediately if I have gotten into something with corn in it--and not only that, it makes me sick for three days after.

The thing is, changing the diet can't hurt--and it could help!

Let us know what happens! We care!

Ya'll have me in goose bumps! After watching these videos and hearing what you've had to say I see hope. Like I said his autisim isn't bad its the low end but I was searching for some hope that we could help him and fix it. You guys are the greatest! Kelly

Corn-free is tough to do- I had to go corn, egg, soy, dairy and gluten free at one point, plus a few other things.

I know someone with a severe corn allergy to the point that even things that don't contain corn but are run on shared equipment set her kids off into acting like they're possessed. There are very few packaged items on the market that are gluten, casein and corn free and don't have shared equipment.

I really feel for you ladies and am so glad to see the role of diet being considered here. It is so much more important than so many people see. I'm guessing you're mostly meat free as well, correct?

The Titus 2 forums have a lot of gf recipes, not sure about the two c's. http://openforums.titus2.com/module/forums/f/Recipes/

Mo7

I am definitely not meat free. Meat is actually the main part of my diet- I'm a very strong protein type and I do best when I eat a lot of meat.

Digestive enzymes due to the damage to my pancreas from the celiac were necessary for a few months while I healed to be able to eat anything. I also found that Betaine HCl was a big relief.

My daughter improved tremendously on the gluten free, corn free diet. She will never be "normal" since she also has Down Syndrome, but at least many of the effects of autism are improved. She would have to be meat free too, except I raise all our meat. I have to cook from scratch and no eating out.

My boys are 18 with Autism...way back when the GFCF diet wasn't around circulation in connection with autism.

If it was I probably would have tried it.

IMO if you are going to try the GFCF diet the younger the better.

I say that because it is easier to introduce "new foods" taste wise then when they are older (18 years) and use to certain tastes.

I hope I am makiong sense...

I know most children with autism are picky eaters so maybe it won't be so easy...

just rambling..sorry

I'm not meat free, either. I know meat is "corn-fed" but that doesn't seem to affect me. I am, however, allergic to chicken, of all things! So I'm chicken-free. Yet, I CAN eat eggs.

Corn-free diets are difficult, true. If you do a search on "avoiding corn" you will find lists of products that contain corn and learn that toothpaste, most pills, and even baking powder contain corn. You will also learn that some toilet paper is processed with corn-derived products. I cannot use Costco brand toilet paper, for example!

Going corn-free is one reason why I ramped up my canning some years back. Since going corn-free, I'm happier, healthier, and can breathe without a doctor asking me if I smoke. (I never have but the corn was affecting me that bad!)

It was a revelation to me what a difference it made to my health and well-being when I quit eating wheat and corn. You see, I didn't believe my doctor, and slowly eliminated all the things I was allergic to, but would not give up the wheat..just wouldn't do it until I realized I was not getting better and had to try this just to see.

I'm sure people with celiac who start this gluten free diet suddenly feel better after a month or so, too...

Just remember..gluten free does not mean also corn-free. Many gluten-free foods have corn flour or cornstarch as their main ingredient. There are some GFCF products out there. And, I've been cooking this way for more than a decade. If anyone has trouble with finding products or recipes, feel free to pm me and I've likely got a link for you.

Kelly, Keeping you in our prayers here that a diet change can help. It won't "cure" autism, but it could drastically improve the situation. It's rather like diabetes Type 2--once you get a diagnosis you are always diabetic even if your blood sugar is in fine control through diet and you repeatedly have good fasting blood sugar counts.

Good luck!

I hope this isn't too off topic, but for all of you with corn, wheat, and other food allergies, how did you determine you were allergic to these foods? Did you have testing, or did you just eliminate foods, one at a time, from your diet and then see how you felt after not consuming them for a while?

I have had terrible asthma and allergic rhinitis from early childhood (as far back as I can remember), and it is only getting worse. I was tested for allergic reactions to many things, but no foods, and I tested positive for all but one. I'm wondering if there is a way to test for food allergies, as well.

There a couple ways to test for food allergies. One of them is the skin test, where small amounts of a substance are put on the skin with a little pin prick and positive reactions are noted. The other is the RAST test, a blood test which tests for assessing the presence of specific IgE antibodies. Allergy skin testing, is usually used because it is cheaper and more accurate. I was diagnosed with skin testing and then the diet elimination of those substances to which I tested positive confirmed it because I improved so dramatically not eating those things!

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for autistic kids to also be tested for possible allergies. Allergens can truly affect mood, body chemistry and behaviors.

Archived