MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

First time canning

Fritz_Monroe

My wife and I canned a batch of Annie's Salsa today. It was our first canning experience and I learned a couple things and have a question.

First I learned that I don't have the tools to do this safely. I used a large set of BBQ tongs to put the jars in and out of the pot for sterilization. I made sure that I only touched the outside of the jar, and as I dumped out the boiling water from each jar, the 3rd one in, half of that water traveled down the tongs and over my hand. I now have blisters on the first knuckles of my left hand.

I also found that I need a canning funnel. I first started just filling them with a ladle. Not even half way filling a jar I found that this was going to be messy. So I had to make a funnel. I cut the end off a plastic funnel we have in the kitchen and it worked great. But now we need a new funnel.

The solution to these problems in getting the proper tools. I ordered some of them this evening. So next batch will go smoother. (hopefully)

Now the question is about air bubbles. I used a plastic stick to work the bubbles out, but now that they are canned, there is a bubble in one of them. It's not even 1/8" in diameter, but it's definately a bubble. Is this a problem?

Finally, I ended up with just over 7 pints. All 7 jars sealed.

FM, congrats on your salsa...and yes, the tools really make all the difference in the world.

When my mom taught me how to can, I didn't even know about any of these tools either, andwhen I did find out about them they sure made the job so much easier.

The bubble is fine, not to worry. I don't use any 'official' bubble buster myself...I use things like the handle of a wooden spoon, etc.

The first time I canned I also did not have the proper tools. I can very much relate to the burning of the fingers/hands and the mess.

I now have the proper tools and what a difference.

Congradulations(sp?)...on your first canning.

It is addicting

You are fine with the small bubble. I still get a few now and then. What the bubble-freer does is to remove the potentially LARGE ones that might harbor bacteria....

Welcome to the addiction! As with any job, proper tools can make all the difference!

Something I ALWAYS have on hand in the kitchen is a bowl of hot water. This summer, I seem to be dipping my fingers in it quite a bit - it's a life saver if you burn yourself. smile

Congratulations on the first time canning. Salsa isn't the easiest thing to can. You are my hero. I'll be canning salsa tomorrow...I guess I should say today as it's well after midnight. I'm having some insomnia.

I didn't use Annie's salsa recipe, but I'm going to try it next. I love trying different recipes and varying degrees of "heat". I've had a challenge to make a HOT salsa. I'm also going to try making some Cranberry Salsa.

Thanks folks. I'm just thrilled that all 7 lids popped. Now I've heard that some leave the rings, others take the rings off. Suggestions?

If you want to make it real hot, pop in a couple tabasco peppers. They are much hotter than tabasco sauce which is made from cayenne peppers.

I take off the ring, wipe off all the jars with a *slightly* damp cloth to make sure they're clean, dry them off and *loosely* put the ring back on. the ring is not necessary, and if it's tight it may interfere with the seal somehow (not sure how, that's just what I heard). But on loosely it's okay. I like to keep the jars and rings together since I have about equal amounts of them and no other place to store all of those rings.

Congratulations!

Archived