MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Apple peels and cores

Percysgirl

Make apple butter. It's actually better if you make it with mostly peels and cores, but it takes more initially for end result than using apple chunks.

Put peels and cores in a large crockpot (Pack them in). Cook for 12-16 hours.

Add 2c sugar and a bit of water if necessary. Cook for 12-16 hours, stirring every couple of hours.

Add more sugar if necessary(taste) and spices if desired (1 T pumpkin pie spice is what I use). Cook for a couple more hours. Put through a food mill to get rid of the seeds. I heat it back up and then put in sterilized jars and store in the fridge or freezer.

You can juice them and make apple syrup or jelly. After you juice them, you can strain them, mix with a bit of honey, some spices, and an assortment of other pureed fruits, and make homemade fruit roll-ups.

Use them to make apple pectin that can then be canned and used for all your jelly needs.

Here's one way to do it but you can use the peel and core also.

http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.ns...in!opendocument

The Stocking Up III book by Carol Hupping (Rodale Press) also has a good recipe for making pectin also.

My fvorite way to use the peels is to make Roasted Apple Peel Tea. Make sure the apples are well washed before peeling and then dry the apple peels. When they are leathery dry put them on cookie sheets in a 350 degree (more or less) oven and roast until they are golden brown. Let cool and store in airtight containers.

Use the roasted peel to make tea by pouring 1 cup of boiling water over several tablespoons of the broken up peels. Let steep covered for five to ten minutes. I like to put a small piece of cinnamon bark, cloves, or other other apple pie or cider spices in with it and add a bit of honey or even brown sugar. Delicious. Try it with a bit of real cream in it. coffee

bighug

These are all wonderful ideas! I usually boil the peels with some water and make juice, then put the peels in Dog Soup.

Percysgirl, remember that apples have lots of pectin all by themselves, so if you can, make your jelly and test it before you add more pectin. Just my two shekels.

(and hey, you could use some apples to make apple cider, and then vinegar... whistle)

Archived